Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Eonac86
Administrator

Terror Lake

Anybody been there and which route did you take??
Eonac86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Unfortunately, I've never been there but it sure looks like an interesting place. I've now put it on my "to be done" list.

Please let us all know what you find on it.
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

I went there several years ago. I went there via the "Norridge Trail" around Twitchell Lake towards Beaver River Station and veering off it on a very rough bushwhack along the state property line in the direction of East Pond. In between Twitchell & East pond, I found a hunters trail in good condition, which crossed below East pond on the first beaverdam of its outlet and it ended rather high upon the ridge continuing NE to Terror Lake. Found it best not to stay on the highest parts of the ridge, as it has very thick spruce up high......high on a lower contour was best.

I bagged some other ponds while returning. It was an EXTREMELY tough bushwhack.....not recommended by me. Later, heard that if I contacted a certain landowner on the end of Twitchell Lake, whom I can't remember the name of, ..they would've allowed me to go through their land via the hunters trail mentioned.

The major microburst remnants near Gull Lakes and Andys Creek in proximity to Big Moose Lake has deterred me from trying to get my canoe in there via that route.

It's a TOUGH TRIP, either way. Exceptional navigation skills & excellent physical condition are required. IMHO
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 07-17-2006 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: NE! NOT NW
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonac86
Anybody been there and which route did you take??
It's on my list. Though I enjoy paddling remote water such as this, I probably will leave my Hornbeck back on the flow for this one if I go via Stillwater. The other potential route from Big Moose is not all on public land. Best bet is to talk to the Stillwater Ranger (John, 315-376-8030). He mentioned a route to me a while back, but I've been too busy with other places in the area to see. I need to chat with him to revisit his recommended route. I should get there later this year after this awful heat breaks.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-17-2006 at 08:30 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I been told buy people who have cabins there that you can canoe Twitchell and ask permission an go in that way, You might want to check it out.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
Boreal Chickadee

Six or seven years ago we went by canoe to the end of the lake and started down the hunter's path just to check it out a ways. Can't remember how far we went that day but I seem to remember it getting quite thick. I do remember that the folks were quite nice.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

August 16 Daytrip W/canoe

Took the canoe into there for a daytrip today. (Hornbeck Blackjack)
It wasn't bad for a 12 lb. solo canoe from the boatlaunch at Big Moose Lake and carrying up to the lean-to at Upper Gull Lake. On the trip up, I should've put the canoe into Lower Gull and avoided falling up to my waist in a bog hole....I did on the way back . When I started carrying fom the east end of Upper Gull towards Andy's Creek, I was surprised to find a blazed trail leading me to Andy's Cr.. (Left side of Gull's Outlet). Little wet walking out to the stillwater on Andy's...headed upstream and found a blazed portage trail on the right side to the next stillwater. 50 yds up and had to portage over a little beaverdam and put into the long stillwater. Surprised to find a 16 foot aluminum canoe sitting there to the left near the small dam @ the head of the long stillwater. Took the left stream entering....as noted on the map and was able to go approx. 1/2 mile up it and had 4-5 logs to go over. Finally, the alders began to close in and had to carry parallel from there up to Terror Lake. Sadly, only had time to go out around the island with the canoe before heading back.

I moved fast and light: 3 hours up and 2 hours 15 minutes back (downhill).
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 07-03-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
wildbrookies

PH,

Any luck?

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Like the way ya think, WB

It was really more of an exploratory/sight-seeing trip, BUT I did bring a fishing pole....in case any rises were occuring on Andy's Creek....esp. where springs fed in. Alas, I think the water quality's still too poor. Pretty sure Terror's too acidic yet, also.

Interesting enough, I passed by some DEC fisheries people taking water samples from a boat out on Big Moose Lake. I asked them if they've netted any bass out of there yet and they replied that bass are a major concern, now that they're in Rondaxe downstream. They beleive it's only a matter of time, before they make their way up into B-Moose L.

I should've got closer to them, as I think that one of them may have been Dick Adams w/his trademark handlebar moustache. I've gone ice-fishing w/him in the past. Oh well.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Nice trip.

Sounds like you're saying this is an easier way than the Twitchell Lake route?
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

For me, it definately was. A few years ago, I had an e-mail exchange with an elderly person, whom claimed the trail from Twitchell used to be blazed all the way to Terror. Couldn't prove it by me, though- it seemed to end approx. a mile past East P. And a carved walking-stick was leaning against a tree there with the initials "A.L" carved into its' handle.

Even with low water conditions, the trip wasn't too bad. High water would be better for going over the logs on the smaller trib. The thickest section was after leaving the smaller trib., but only lasted a few hundred yards in the grass along it's side......before I was able to cut up into the relatively speaking- "open mixed woods" on the parallel ridge.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
DAVID R. GROESBECK
hoplophile

Did a solo trip there some years ago(1990-longer than I care to admit). Paddled my Jensen Packer solo boat to Brownell's camp @the north end of Twitchell Lake. Faint trail first mile. Travelled by compass over tough blowdown remaining 2 miles. Neat lake. Saw noone 2 days I was there-in August. No evidence of anyone having been there in a long time,either. Decrepit rowboat found which allowed me to get out onto lake & take some neat pics. Definitely well worth the effort. Trip is described in McMartin's 1988 edition GUIDE TO WEST CENTRAL ADIRONDACKS. Also described in significant detail in Marleau's 1985 book BIG MOOSE STATION. Probably available used from Amazon.com. Apparently quite popular during '30's-'50's as a fly in hunting & fishing destination. Declined w/changing patterns of hunting in Adirondacks as well as (obviously)ban on fly ins state wilderness areas. Hope this helps.
DAVID R. GROESBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Hey Pondhopper, You rule! You've been everywhere. Have you been to Metcalf?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Farrell
Hey Pondhopper, You rule! You've been everywhere. Have you been to Metcalf?
Nope. I haven't been there. Looks like a nice long body of water to explore tho.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
frankcarey

The word here at Twitchell Lake is that the trail from the end of the lake to Terror has not been cleared from the microburst in '95. A few years ago a group started clearing but little was accomplished.
frankcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #16
Scotty

Twitchell

How is the fishing on Twitchell? I am considering buying a place and was wondering. It seems shallow which leads me to believe it is fairly acidic.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
DAVID R. GROESBECK
hoplophile

I recall reading an article in the ADIRONDACK EXPRESS some time ago regarding problems w/jet skis-both noise & wake. Significant problem on a small lake like Twitchell. Town of Webb instituted some legislation attempting to control the problem. Haven't heard how successful it's been.
DAVID R. GROESBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
Scotty

Thanks for the Info

I had heard that those little noise boxes might be banned on Twitchell. Good thing to look into. I believe there is a 50HP limit in place.

Thanks!
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Per- fisher##'s request and sorry for going from memory and getting it wrong on the other thread.

From Wallace's Guide to the Adirondacks - How Terror Lake was named:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FentonStory.jpg (111.7 KB, 514 views)
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
Boreal Chickadee

PH- very interesting book- Still in print?

Editing to answer my own question. A simple google search found one at auction for $399.

I also found this link to Cornell's archives. You can change teh page number in the pull down box. But other thant the index it doesn't seem to have any text, only illustrations.

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-b...rames=0&seq=18

Last edited by Boreal Chickadee; 10-15-2006 at 10:32 AM..
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote