Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
sacredloon
Administrator

Question Lake Clear Wabbler ?

Hello everyone! i'm a newbie here! Looks like a great group of ADK'ers on here. I love to fish, and camp and hike when I can. Right now I have a new Radisson canoe and I want to catch some trout!

Trouble is...I am a beginner and not 100% sure I am doing it right. I have been going on lakes. I have no idea how to fly fish, not yet atleast.

Forgive my silly questions!

I have Lake Clear Wabblers, but I am not sure how to rig them up, I have a regular fishing pole, and I have been using nightcrawlers. Do i put the hook right onto the wabbler, or have a leader in there? Also i need a little help knowing what size hook to use. I have a full stock of supplies. I bass fish too, and have no problem with that, I just want some trout! How deep do I go, use split shot, and troll? I have the trolling rig too.

Thanks in advance, i need all the help I can get! I have many more questions too but I dont want to wear out my welcome with my first post, thanks guys!
sacredloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Generally speaking I use a 12"-18" leader after the wobbler. I troll slowly and have never used sinkers. I am usually on small ponds in a canoe. On deeper lakes you probably would need weight to get it down to the desired depth. How deep? Only as deep as the fish are....
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Keith
Generally speaking I use a 12"-18" leader after the wobbler. I troll slowly and have never used sinkers. I am usually on small ponds in a canoe. On deeper lakes you probably would need weight to get it down to the desired depth. How deep? Only as deep as the fish are....
I use a similar technique on the wObbler. Hook size depends on fish sought after. Put the worm on the trailing hook so it looks natural and waves enticingly when retrieved slowly - don't bunch the worm up on the hook. It's a killer rig when nothing else works.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-09-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Robony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Keith
Blade size and boat speed are also variables. The larger sized #3 tend to dive deeper and will maintain the action at slower speeds. #2's shallower and a bit faster to maintain good action. In spring I use #2 almost exclusively and switch to 3's as the water temp rises. Color of the blades may or may not make any difference. I also try to vary the speeds, allowing the blade to flutter and dart will sometimes trigger response. Maybe but I use a swivel on both ends of the leader. I just think it makes a more natural presentation on the worm. Hook size = #6 for most adk ponds and one size bigger if chasing lakers.
Robony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
wildbrookies

All of the advice given is very good and will help you troll the wabblers....but,we have had so much trouble with line twists in the past that we now use swivels on each end of the wabbler blade to help relief the line twist...seems to be working nicely(no more twists).....and then go with 16-20" of leader from wabbler to the hook ....also, if you are going to be looking for trout....I think a hook around a size # 6 would work fine and maybe get ones like the Eagle Claws that have tiny barbs on the shank of the hook to keep the worm in place....also,alittle harder for the fish to skin you.... Hope all this gets you into some fish...good luck!

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
sacredloon
Administrator

Thanks so much to all of you! I like the idea about using swivels at each end of the wabbler. I wasnt sure how to rig it up. Its a weird feeling when its wabbling, I cant quite tell when I have "fish on" because I haven't caught any yet! I wasnt sure why there was a key loop on on end of the wabbler. I have been using size 6 hooks, and I did not know that I shouldnt be bunching up the worm. I usually rip a worm in 3 pieces and bunch it up! Ahh no wonder I am not catching trout! Now I just need to find out how deep they are!
I'll have more questions soon! I have a tackle box full of rapalas, spoons, flies, frogs and jigs, spinners, and am not sure how to use them!
I love fishing so much! Just learning and very addicted.
I did catch a 5 pound largemouth last summer, i am proud of that!
What is good for pickerel?
Ok, here I go with the questions!
Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
wildbrookies

Sacredloon,

Try to keep the worm whole, unless its a very large nightcrawler ....hook it through its collar towards the head...this end should be the only part threaded onto the hook....leave the rest of its body tailing behind...if its way too long say ,4-6"`s long, just pinch alittle off....

We really did`nt think this method would work back when we started pond/lake fishing for trout either...but, after you get a few nice trout you`ll be a believer ...when trolling the wabbler, just go fast enough so your rod tip dances as the wabbler is wabbling ......don`t worry, when you get a hit ,yourknow it...

You`ve got to stay with this method, does`nt mean you`ll get trout every trip out....takes time and patience...also, one more tip...when trolling in a canoe using oars...try to make some "S" curves(or even a figure 8) when trolling along a fishy spot(cove ,point,etc) this raises and lowers the wabbler,changes its speeds and changes the steady troll to a more enticing offering to the fish....

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Chris I

Looner,

welcome im a newby here too and love it everyones great.

size 6 eagle with the small barbs is a good idea.
I encourage using needle nose plyers to pinch the big barb at the tip of the hook when trout fishing, it lessons ripping the skin, and since your using worms the trout often swallow the hook, this way if you need to throw it back it you will have a lot greater chance in survival for the fish. I havnt found that i loose more fish due to the barb being pinched, and it makes me feel better about myself.

When fisihing in streams you want to look for deep pools, this is where the big trout hang out. Pools are usually after a set of rapids or at a curve in the stream.

As far as your worms go... i usually cut the crawlers in half, i think a full worm is just over kill, 1/2 a crawler is enough for a nice trailer, and yes hook it down the body so it looks as natural as it can.

I have a camp at the north end of the lake. Gull Bay. I see your from lake george. what part?
Chris I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
AdkSavage

Looner...
I am also a new member to this Forum.
On the subject of the Lake Clear Wabbler, all of the advice given above will get you started. I have used the wabbler many times and have had great luck. I have used the rig in remote ponds and in the larger lakes. I also keep in my tackle box a few small Christmas trees. Also known as beer can spinners. I use a worm cut in half on a # 6 laser sharp hook. Its a great set-up that has never let me down. Something else that might help you, is to stop at a food store and pick up some pure Anise Extract. Once you get your hook tied onto your leader, put the hook threw the head of the worm, push the hook about an inch into the worm and then poke the hook out. Cut the night crawler in half. Dribble alittle anise extract onto the worm. I use the extract everytime i use the worm, and have found it works when nothing else will. Rainbows, Splake, and Browns love it. Give it a try. You may never trout fish again with out it. If youre fishing for Lakers. Try a 2-3 inch minnow. "If allowed." Some lakes and ponds youre not able to use live minnows. So check the local laws before you go out.
On Pickerel, I always carry a red and white daredevil spoon. If you cant cast a spoon due to weeds, try a weedless hook with a 4 inch rubber worm. slide the worm over weed cover. Great top water action!!!!!!!
Good luck out there!
AdkSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
bridgeman

Not my fish, just wanted to share. This picture was taken Sunday in the Daks. Caption along with picture "19.5 inch brookie taken on a Wabbler".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.5 brookie.JPG (35.3 KB, 547 views)
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
Brad

very nice fish
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
bigbryan

impressive that pond looks familiar even with the high water
bigbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
Ned Kipperson

Could it be Pine Pond??
Ned Kipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Qtip

You can get a catalog of all Lake Clear Wabblers and their other lures by writing Thomas M. Delaney at 10 Spring St., P.O. Box 301, Gilbertsville, NY 13776-0301 or calling 607-783-2587. He's right in my county.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #15
sacredloon
Administrator

Nice fish!

That is my dream catch! Wow! nice work, and thanks for sharing!
I have tons of wabblers, all kind, I have a full stock, just need to get out there and catch the trout!

Thank you all for the great advice and comments!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
sacredloon
Administrator

Still trying!

Hey everyone!

I want to thank you again for your tips on trout fishing with the wabbler.
I am going out of my mind trying to catch trout still. I have been out on my lake every night this week trolling with a wabbler and worm. I have the swivels on both ends of the wabbler, then a 12 inch leader and a size 6 hook eagle claw, with a night crawler.

So far, a ton of big perch, some 2 pound bass, and a ton of crappies....no trout! I wonder if I am doing it right?
I let out a ton of line, row slowly until it goes thump, thump, thump, thump, trying zig zags, etc. No trout! grrrr!!!!!

Any more tips? I wish i knew how to get the right depth. Not sure where they are since I see them coming up around 7 pm at the suface, them the wabbler is deep. ?????

I did get a tiny trout on the schroon river with a baby rapala.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #17
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I'd suggest trying a longer leader, but it's tough when you have those warm water guys to contend with.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Yeah, what GG said. You could try using leeches (not the ones with the orange bottoms) and that may keep some of the smaller fish off long enough to catch a trout. But you'd still get the bass.

Looks like the pond would be better earlier in the year, before the warm water fish become active. IMO
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #19
marzrw

GG and PH are right. Trout get wary...They seem to wait and see what smaller trout, or other species do first the later in the year it gets and as the water warms...Seems like you have a good spot to try earlier in the year...And the rises at 7pm could be trout, but could also be crappies, bass, etc..as well..
Old 06-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
sacredloon
Administrator

Thanks again to you all!

I guess its too warm now for trout! I'm going to keep trying though! They have to be deep I guess. I'll keep fishing!

I did get trout today on the Schroon river! Happy about that!