Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specific commercial freeze dried dinners you actually like (not merely tolerate!)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific commercial freeze dried dinners you actually like (not merely tolerate!)?

Specific commercial freeze dried dinners you actually like (not merely tolerate!)? Brand and dinner.

I love backpacking but only getting to do it once a year or so, and sometimes switch it out with canoe camping, I always remain "rusty", particularly when it comes to food ideas.

I remember finding Mountain House Meat Sauce quite edible but it's been years.

I'm planning on a 6 day trip with my wife and I want it to go well and eating well is a big part of this.

Anything from Hawk's.
    “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
      Anything from Hawk's.
      Unless he has dramatically changed his process, I don't believe that Hawk freeze-dries. AFAIK, his offerings have alway been simply dehydrated, originating with home dehydrated recipes and experimental variations from Linda Yaffe's book: Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Hawk's Vittles are good. You really can't go wrong with any of his offerings.

I like Sausage Gravy with Biscuits from Mountain House.

Comment

Working...
        X