Racket Pond, LGWF, 28 Sep, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racket Pond, LGWF, 28 Sep, 2016

Today, I took advantage of some great early fall weather to do a solo wander to Racket Pond in the northern part of the Lake George Wild Forest, near Brant Lake. After a kidney jarring two-mile trip up Lily Pond Rd., I arrived at the parking area just as the fog was burning off the lake (photo 1). As I suited up and walked down the foggy trail, the sun came out and rapidly warmed things up.

Arriving at the first trail junction at the far end of the pond, I peeled off a layer and turned left on the main trail for a couple hundred yards, then turned left on the "northern loop" to Buttermilk Pond. The wide trail was in great shape (photo 2). I did notice quite a bit of flagging and marking from the SAR efforts that were conducted there back in November of 2015. That's sure some rugged ground to do a search grid. My hats off to Wildrns and all the folks that conducted that search.

The snowmobile trail was a delight to walk as it passed evidence of a farmstead from days gone by. Stone walls/piles, clearings, skinny trees and a large stone foundation helped pass the time as I worked my way to the next junction where I turned left again to make the final one mile approach to Buttermilk Pond on a poorly marked, but easy to follow trail. Except for one steep pitch, this trail was very pleasant to walk (photo 3). In about half an hour, I came to the south shore of Buttermilk Pond and stopped to enjoy the sights and have a snack (photo 4).

My next explore was to check out the designated campsite on the rocky point on Buttermilk's western shore. While researching this hike, SLIM showed a path to the point. However, there's no path, just very faint ATV tracks with lots of beaver cuttings. It wasn't that hard to find my way and soon I was enjoying the sun and some lunch on the rocky point (photo 5). From the top of the rocks, I could see where Rivet was the other day on Spectacle Pond Hill.

After exploring (and cleaning) the designated campsite, I headed off for the short bushwhack to Racket Pond. In about ten minutes of walking through some very pretty woods, I came to the swampy shore of Racket Pond. I poked around a little bit, finding one very old campfire ring and a nice pine-covered point with a good view (photo 6). I must have scared up a dozen ducks at the pond before I had to head back.

Retracing my steps brought me around to Buttermilk Pond where I got back on the snowmobile trail. A mile or so down the trail, I came back to a familiar junction. Here, I took a left turn towards Duck and Round Ponds. My latest "Discover" guidebook says this is a very overgrown trail and the authors weren't kidding. Within 200 yds, the trail plunged into a nasty cedar swamp and didn't emerge until .8 miles later at Duck Pond. This would be a very wet trail to hike in the spring.

Strangely, Duck Pond (photo 7), was the only body of water where I didn't see a duck today. After cleaning up a few beer cans, I walked the short path to the designated campsite on Round Pond (photo 8). In the past, this place was always a wreck. Today, I searched high and low and only found two Bud Light cans by the shore. Whoever cleaned this up did a great job!

I secured my load of garbage from Buttermilk, Duck and Round Ponds and headed back through the SAR grid flagging and soon arrived at the shores of Lily Pond. While enshrouded in fog this morning, the sun was out in full force, making for a great walk down the short trail to the parking area (photo 9). While cleaning up some more trash at the lakeshore campsite, I realized how beautiful Lily Pond really is (photo 10). What a great day to be wandering around the woods.
    Attached Files
    Tick Magnet

Nice report & photos, TM!
    That's a fun area to explore for sure!
    Too bad it still gets beat up quite a bit.
    Thanks for helping to clean up the negligence of others!
    I always wondered why it's ok for SAR teams to leave there markings behind long after their search has been called off.

Comment

Another area we used to Mtbike in years ago,the rock at Buttermilk was always my favorite.

Comment

Working...
      X