Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
TOhiker

Trail Conditions Mt. Marshall via Upper Works?

Just trying to get an idea of the trail conditions for Mt. Marshall from Upper Works? Anyone hiked this area recently?

My husband and I are planning on hiking this trail next week but since we have never hiked it before, we don't know what to expect, especially with all of the recent (and forecasted) rains and the proximity to brooks...

Any input is much appreciated!!
TOhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

I did this route 3 weeks ago. At the time it was pretty dry. There is a high water bridge crossing across Calamity Brook so that wouldn't be an issue for you. The trail is easy to follow. The marked trail below Flowed Lands will become a brook in wet weather.

The Herbert Brook herd path is fairly easy to follow and in good shape. It crosses the brook several times, so you have to look out for the cairns. If there were recent heavy rains I'd probably postpone, as you are in and out of the stream bed probably 6-10 times on the ascent. Enjoy!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
TOhiker

Great information -- thanks for that! We might reconsider Marshall, but this will help whenever we get to the trail...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
TOhiker

And, on further thought: anybody have any suggestions for high peaks that might be more suitable in light of the potential for wet weather? In particular, we were thinking some backup hikes might be a portion of the Dix range or maybe even Seymour...but would we run into problems with water (or intense muck) on these trails as well?
Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Bark Eater Too

Dix range from Elk Lake is definitely drier terrain. Though I'd be very careful on the Macomb slide if wet. Sewards are a muck fest if the weather is wet...I can personally attest! :-) If you do the main range the Calkins Brook crossing is difficult if the water is high.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
TOhiker

I had my suspicions about the Sewards but thought I'd ask anyways...

Thanks again -- this helps a lot!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I haven't been in the High Peaks recently, but the trails in the Eastern Adirondacks are wetter than I've seen them in a while, with numerous wet spots and puddles of standing water.

According to the NOAA weather radio almanac, the rainfall so far this June is 4 inches above average.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
TOhiker

Yeah, it seems that the region is getting a lot of rain...we are re-planning our trip to avoid (as much as possible) the wetter trails...
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
TOhiker

Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested:

Based on the advice posted here (and the fact that we would need to walk near something called the "Flowed Lands"), we decided to skip the Marshall hike and do some of the Dix range (Macomb, S and E Dix) instead, making a loop up the slide and down the Lillian Brook herdpath. Fun hike!

As for the conditions: Once we turned off at the Slide Brook herd path, the trails seemed fairly dry: the Slide was maybe a bit damp in parts but was mostly dry, and the only real mud that we hit was between South and East Dix.

However, when the red trail leading in wasn't a mud pit, it seemed to oscillate between a running stream and standing bodies of water, interspersed with only small areas of dry ground. The Lillian Brook herd path was also a muddy mess with the added bonus of being completely bug infested -- even loaded up with 2 kinds of bug spray (both Deet and natural) we managed to get covered in bites. No problems with the very minor stream crossings on either trail.

Having never hiked these trails before, I have no idea how common these conditions are, but we really wish we had some gaiters with us...And, if there is more rain as forecasted, I can only imagine it will be more annoying without them...