Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Jessup to Indian Lake

Took a mental health day on Wednesday and Judi and I did the paddle from Rt.30 down the Jessup River and into Indian Lake.

I had never done this trip and was looking forward to checking it out since it is part of a circumnavigation trip I have planned.

The day was sunny and the black flies were hungry.

3 beaver dams and 2 strainers were encountered before the carry.

If I had had my saw I could have cleared the first strainer so it could have been navigable. Next time..

The second strainer (or was it the third) could be run on the right side.

I checked Phil Brown's guide book and it says a mile to the take out, but the meander quotient must have changed some because my GPS read almost 1.5 miles before the walk.

Greek legends say that Anemos, the Wind, sends his namesakes the anemones, in the earliest spring days as the heralds of his coming.
Pliny affirmed that they only open when the wind blows, hence their name of Windflower, and the unfolding of the blossoms in the rough, windy days of March has been the theme of many poets:
'Coy anemone that ne'er uncloses
Her lips until they're blown on by the wind.'

We evidently were not the only ones using the rough carry trail.

But we made it across the carry ok and on to Dug Mountain Falls.

And on into the lower reaches of Indian Lake.

Where the shad was blossoming.

We went only as far as the second campsite (#50) and turned around for our trip home. Unfortunately, none of the dams we came down over were we able to go back up over so it was the beaver dam dance with my partner New Trick.

and on back from whence we came.

8 .5 miles total and a beautiful day on the water.

Last edited by Adk Keith; 05-23-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Telemarkmike

Great report and perfect timing! I was just starting to look into paddling the Jessup. Do you know how far upstream you can put-in? I guess you launched at Route 30/Jessup? I was wondering if you could put-in near Perkins Clearing, where Jessup River Road crosses the Jessup, or better yet, up past Sled Harbor where Brady's Brook enters the Jessup.

I haven't paddled in this vicinity before and am just now looking into this, and other good paddles in the area.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
camofish73

My wife and I did this trip in a canoe a few summers ago and we ended up walking the canoe down through the shallow, faster water toward the lake. It seemed to be a long walk on the slick rocks and just as NOT fun on the way back up stream on the way back.
It was nice to make it the lake and we hiked into the small waterfalls on the eastern shoreline.
On the way back I did manage a nice smallie and brookie before the long walk back up stream to were we could paddle again.

Not sure if I could get my wife to do the trip again unless there was a lot more water flowing.
camofish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

If you search for Upper Jessup there are some trip reports from Stripperguy and others that describe the upper and "upper upper" portions of the trip depending where you want to put in.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
Great report and perfect timing! I was just starting to look into paddling the Jessup. Do you know how far upstream you can put-in? I guess you launched at Route 30/Jessup? I was wondering if you could put-in near Perkins Clearing, where Jessup River Road crosses the Jessup, or better yet, up past Sled Harbor where Brady's Brook enters the Jessup.

I haven't paddled in this vicinity before and am just now looking into this, and other good paddles in the area.
It's a pretty good day trip to start at Rt. 30 and go upstream and back. I've made it as far as Vly Brook with only a couple of relatively short carries in a long day. It takes a lot less time coming back.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Telemarkmike

Thanks Keith and all. I'll get over there soon and check it out.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mike,

We did a car shuttle and paddled from the Jessup River Rd bridge to Rt 30 crossing.
It was the highlight of that summer's paddling!
Here is a link to the photos, I'm too lazy to look up the TR, but it was pretty complete. There is one major log jam within 1 mile of the put in that strains out most paddlers.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
dpc34

was that from the Perkins Clearing Rd ?
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Please excuse my laziness, I just returned from Puerto Vallarta and I spent too much time doing nothing in paradise...

Here is the link to that previous TR.

And dpc34, it was the road that leads to Perkins Clearing. Either south or north of Mason Lake, distance to the bridge is nearly the same.

And Adk Keith,
Nice TR and photos...I see that the falls have a new deadfall!! If the water is high enough, that rock garden just before the falls is a fun run.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote