Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
adkeditor

Forest Ranger Report

We just received the Forest Ranger Report for September and October. Click here to see it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
TCD

Thanks, Phil.

I always read these, along with the little "lesson learned" tag line at the end. Usually it's useful, but sometimes it seems like a "force fit" "we told you so." I'm especially curious about the two cases of lower leg injuries that were severe enough that the person was unable to continue, where the advice was "carry a first aid kit." Most first aid kits do not include materials to treat a leg injury so severe that you are unable to continue. I wonder about "the rest of the story" there.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
bethfit

Thanks for posting Phil. We used to look forward to reading the reports in the Explorer. We always find them interesting and sometimes there is a lesson in there to learned...
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
daLunartik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Thanks, Phil.

I'm especially curious about the two cases of lower leg injuries that were severe enough that the person was unable to continue, where the advice was "carry a first aid kit." Most first aid kits do not include materials to treat a leg injury so severe that you are unable to continue.
I had the same thoughts. I'm thinking they have a list of Advice Items to follow each event, and it was either "Carry A First Aid Kit" or "Know How To Contact DEC".
Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

"When asked if they could hear Forest Rangers calling for them, they said they had but stated that “growing up in the city you never holler back”
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
"When asked if they could hear Forest Rangers calling for them, they said they had but stated that “growing up in the city you never holler back”
This past weekend I assisted at a NYSDEC SAR training course. I spent the day chatting with the ranger who received this 2:00 AM call. There were just 2 rangers, one younger and one older involved with this search. The older did a Type 1 roadside search while the younger (the one I talked to) was sent into the woods, up and down the hillside for hours.

He later learned that they were practically within sight when he was shouting for them in the dark, but they were afraid to answer. Meanwhile, they had killed their cell phone battery trying to use the light to see, and they also burned out a bic lighter using the light from it. They did not attempt to light a fire. Now they had no way to communicate (no cell, and old fashioned voice was obviously dangerously out of the question??), and no way to light a fire either. Once it became light he found them walking out toward him. Needless to say this ranger was just a bit critical of the group.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-27-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
40dog

it makes no sense ! if you were lost and people were out in your area shouting for you why not hollar back . People watch to many canibal reneck kidnapper scifi moves these days . when your scared of or hide from the help that might be comming you sabatage your rescue . It dosent take a genius to figure that out. why not yell help back hmm?
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
8thday
**BANNED**

I agree 40dog, these people should be given a time-out from the woods by the ranger. Can that be done? Maybe a one year ban for being so dumb & inconsiderate, having people search all night for them because they're city slickers & too dumb to answer their own name. Never heard of Conshohocken & I don't think it rates as a city.
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
nutmeg creeker

People do stupid things, and even well-prepared people make mistakes. What is amazing here is my quesion: how do the people who are most inexperienced and least prepared even KNOW how to find their way up to the Adirondacks and find trailheads? Certainly some measure of planning is involved when they undertake trips like these, but how they can miss basic stuff is hard to fathom. If you look up any info in the trail guides, you can't miss the basic advice. As far as not hollering back: this is as dumb as being locked out of the house and banging softly on the door so that you don't wake anybody up. Makes no sense!!!!! But these people are very likely to support all kinds of environmentlly friendly initiatives, so we shouldn't be too critical. Try to educate them before they self destruct--or walk off a cliff in the dark.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
bluequill

Never answer back when someone is calling out your name........especially if there is a warrant out for your arrest! I wonder if the ranger ran his record?

BTW, Conshohocken is a 'burb located between Philly and Valley Forge. Not really a 'city'.

I enjoy these reports also as most of the endings turn out good. Hats off to the DEC rangers and the support SAR.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
it makes no sense ! if you were lost and people were out in your area shouting for you why not hollar back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
People do stupid things, and even well-prepared people make mistakes.
Unfortunately, there are places on this planet, and even within this country, where maintaining a low profile, even in times of need, can mean the difference between life and death.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Darwin come to mind for anybody else when reading this?

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Darwin come to mind for anybody else when reading this?
When I read that I thought for certain the guy was joking. Sad if he wasn't...

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
fvrwld

I have read that this is a common problem but that it usually occurs when someone has been lost for a while. It has something to do with the psychology of getting lost.

Its hard for is to remember that the woods can be a scary place for a lot of people, especially when its getting dark. Throw in that you're lost and one may start to lose their mind.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
Its hard for is to remember that the woods can be a scary place for a lot of people, especially when its getting dark. Throw in that you're lost and one may start to lose their mind.
Exactly. When I worked with a wilderness therapy program, we had a lot of kids who weren't even from a city, but were from affluent suburbs outside big cities. Many had never spent a night out in the woods prior to being enrolled in the program. There were a few who had pretty rough first nights... as soon as the sun started to set, the fear pretty much completely took over. Even though we had a nice fire going, and they were surrounded by several instructors and a group of fellow students, they would start to get really nervous, shaking and glancing apprehensively over their shoulders.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
Rusty and the Maniac

It's very common for children to not answer in a SAR situation, but these people really don't have any excuse... The other highlights from this months report for me were: the boy scouts without headlamps (c'mon, scoutmasters, be prepared!) and the guy lost near Lost pond (which is nice irony). Keep the ranger reports coming, always good for a chuckle!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
I have read that this is a common problem but that it usually occurs when someone has been lost for a while. It has something to do with the psychology of getting lost.
Often when a child is lost he/she becomes as frightened of being "in trouble" as from being lost. To answer and be found could mean punishment for becoming lost, especially if it was because an adult's rule was not followed. Sometimes they just quietly huddle under a tree or in a structure too afraid to respond. Alzheimers patients often behave the same way. The majority of searches I have been on in recent years have been alzheimers related.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
madmike

Discussions like this are the reason, I would almost never seek help. My wife knows, that if I am overdue, she should not call the DEC for 2 days. I might just be having a good time.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
Discussions like this are the reason, I would almost never seek help. My wife knows, that if I am overdue, she should not call the DEC for 2 days. I might just be having a good time.
Wow...2 days. That gives you a nice headstart!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
mphilli2

"Discussions like this are the reason, I would almost never seek help."

I agree--though people who know me do say I need help.

You break your leg in the woods, your name & age & address are printed as if you committed a criminal act and then there is a moral of the story in bold type: HIKERS SHOULD INGEST ADEQUATE CALCIUM.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote