Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Avacal

Cougars revisted.......

So I talked to a ranger that said the DEC is now aware of cougars in the indian lake area but that they are not reproducing. A few locals that have sighted the big cats have said that they are concerned.

I guess I would like to see if anyone has anything new to report. I myself came accross tracks in the snow while climbing Algonquin. They were heading down hill crossing the trail with about a 15 foot spread between them. The thing that caught my eye was the "S" swoosh mark in the snow amongst the tracks.....tail marks. Another sighting by a friends brother who saw one dart along the meadow near Johns-brook lodge.

Avacal
Avacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Hobbitling
spring fever

That would be way cool. I'll hold out for hard proof.

did you follow the tracks?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Avacal

Didn't have time to follow. Had a crew I was snowshoeing with. If it is true , I think it won't be too long till a documented encounter occurs.....hopefully not me.

Avacal
Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
law_adk

Thats a good reason to always have a digital camera handy when out in the woods.
law_adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
mrbrklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by law_adk View Post
Thats a good reason to always have a digital camera handy when out in the woods.
Might need to set up a trip wire shooter if you want to photograph a cat. They don't announce themselves or pose for pictures and if your close enough to photograph one you might be busy with other matters when face to face with a big cat.

When I grew up in Florida both Cougars and Alligators where seen even in Fort Lauderdale and you did not get close to them. Seems the Cougar population down there plummeted since then.

Ruben
mrbrklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

In the Indian lake Area. Wonder if they migrated from the Silver Lake Wilderness?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
law_adk

You can take pictures of the tracks for someone to make an ID
law_adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Hobbitling
spring fever

A camera trap baited with cougar scat or urine would probably do the trick.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
AdRegion
TourPro

Most Cougars are now younger than me, so I don't mind if they are around.

What?
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
gulo

Folks are actually finding that body fragrances like Obsession, and even knock-offs at $8 for 8 ounces, work better than natural lures. Plenty of critters are attracted to the natural lures, but as soon as I began putting body fragrances in front of the cams, the change in their behavior was remarkable. They went from pics of interested sniffing to rolling in the stuff, almost like a universal cat-nip.

Some biologists think it's because of the novelty of the scent in the system, but I don't know why that would induce them to act stoned.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
Folks are actually finding that body fragrances like Obsession, and even knock-offs at $8 for 8 ounces, work better than natural lures. Plenty of critters are attracted to the natural lures, but as soon as I began putting body fragrances in front of the cams, the change in their behavior was remarkable. They went from pics of interested sniffing to rolling in the stuff, almost like a universal cat-nip.

Some biologists think it's because of the novelty of the scent in the system, but I don't know why that would induce them to act stoned.
Maybe they're "obsessed" with it. Is it drawing males or females? Maybe I'll try some for myself.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacal View Post
So I talked to a ranger that said the DEC is now aware of cougars in the indian lake area but that they are not reproducing. A few locals that have sighted the big cats have said that they are concerned.
Who was the ranger?
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Avacal

Sorry, I didn't get a name.

Avacal
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
mrbrklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Maybe they're "obsessed" with it. Is it drawing males or females? Maybe I'll try some for myself.
It works on Broadway and the Upper Eastside...
mrbrklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post

Good to know I'm not the only one that does that.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

What Rik, Use Obsession or act stoned?
CL50 #49

Last edited by Buster Bear; 05-19-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: How the heck can you misspell stoned?
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #17
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bear View Post
What Rik, Use Obsession or act stoned?
Rolling around in it.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #18
AdRegion
TourPro

According to The Google, this article is the #1 resource for information:

How to attract Cougars??
"Tie a steak around your neck!"
Ironically, the advice may be pretty good.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Keithk
Keith

heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacal View Post

Can't trust everything that you read, can't trust everything that you hear from a ranger.....

While I do believe that there are some of them in the park, the continued lack of high quality, documented evidence is somewhat surprising. Everyone and their brother has seen one, yet where are the high quality (and not from a quarter mile away) pictures. Where are the videos? Why havn't any been hit by cars? I mean there are only a couple hundred moose in the park, and yet they're getting smacked by cars all the time. if cougars had been making a comeback of sorts over the past decade or two, where is the evidence. I dunno
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
mrbrklyn

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
Can't trust everything that you read, can't trust everything that you hear from a ranger.....

While I do believe that there are some of them in the park, the continued lack of high quality, documented evidence is somewhat surprising. Everyone and their brother has seen one, yet where are the high quality (and not from a quarter mile away) pictures. Where are the videos? Why havn't any been hit by cars? I mean there are only a couple hundred moose in the park, and yet they're getting smacked by cars all the time. if cougars had been making a comeback of sorts over the past decade or two, where is the evidence. I dunno
You make a good point and quality of evidence is an essential part of any scientific study. Even without a close up picture, dung droppings, carcases and other annotated, and statistically accounted for evidence is really needed for the declaration of the return of the Mountain Lion to the region. And I'm not certain that such a serious study has been undertaken. Perhaps a group here can get together and create a serious study of the issue and make a responsible and publishable paper supported with collected evidence.

I'd be happy to help right the parameters of such a study and to help with its publication.

Ruben