Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
dacipkowski

Hour Pond Siamese Ponds Wilderness 3/11 - 3/13

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum. I moved to the area recently from western North Carolina and have been spending a lot of time in the Adirondacks.

Headed to Siamese Ponds Wilderness this past weekend with my partner, Mariah- our first time to this wilderness. Stayed the first night at Thirteenth Lake at one of the designated spots on the western side of the lake. We have heard the lake is a little rowdy in summer, but it was human-free other than us on this March weekend. No wind made the winterish lake side camping very nice. We headed to Hour Pond Saturday morning. We found some longer sections on icy paths still required microspikes, but most south facing slopes were free of snow. Other than a tricky beaver damn crossing when nearing the pond (seemed to be a designated ski trail and would have been a lot easier if frozen over thick) the way to Hour Pond was straight forward. We arrived to find the pond very scenic with a really nice legal tent spot, but we opted to sleep in the lean to. Other than some mouse activity, with lots of shredded toilet paper from a roll left behind in the open, the lean to was pretty clean. However, the terrain dips a bit in front of the shelter and there was a bit of a mud bath at our feet. FYI there is a privy at the lean to but it's a little tricky to find, situated just north of the shelter and up the slope a bit

We left the following morning after cleaning the shelter, taking a small baggy's worth of trash. We made a loop by hiking along Hour Pond Brook, which was raging with melt water, to Old Farm Clearing on the other side of Thirteenth Lake and with a little walk on the road, had completed our easy 2 night loop.

I am an novice photographer and included some pictures..

I enjoy reading many of your trip reports and have found this forum to be incredibly educational.

Thanks folks,

Dylan

PS does anyone know about the other designated campsite on hour pond and where it is? UMP mentions there being another one..With some exploration it was not found..
dacipkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacipkowski View Post

PS does anyone know about the other designated campsite on hour pond and where it is? UMP mentions there being another one..With some exploration it was not found..

Welcome Dylan, cool report & photos, thanks for sharing!

It's been a few years since I've been there, but there's one on the southwest shore that does not get used very often.

Last edited by Justin; 03-16-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Nice photos. I remember that beaver flow from a winter trip I took there with a few friends. One of my friends ended up going through the ice and getting her foot wet- fortunately, her waterproof boots kept her feet dry, but she had a block of ice form around her snowshoe that was pretty cumbersome until it finally fell off.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
dacipkowski

Justin,

Justin,
Thanks for the info and kind words! I thought I saw some bank erosion that way but was not up for crossing Hour Pond Brook.
Enjoy the spring season,

Dylan
Old 03-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
dacipkowski

Thanks DSettahr. Similar thing happened to Zion our pooch.. I wonder how sturdy that damn is to walk on in summer months...
Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
snapper
snapper

Dylan - Thanks for the photos and trip report. Welcome to the group!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

Thanks for the report and pics Dylan!! How many canoes were stashed at Hour? The last time that I was there in the winter there must have been 5 in the woods behind the lean to.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
Tick Magnet

Loved the TR and photos!

We were at Hour Pond last spring and searched unsuccessfully for the designated campsite near the outlet.

I'm told by my spies that it's very nice.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
dacipkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Thanks for the report and pics Dylan!! How many canoes were stashed at Hour? The last time that I was there in the winter there must have been 5 in the woods behind the lean to.
Thanks Chaser. There was one near the water in nice condition. And we found 2 on the way in that were in rough shape. Once could be patched, the other was totally destroyed.. There very well could have been more that we didnt see.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
dacipkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Loved the TR and photos!

We were at Hour Pond last spring and searched unsuccessfully for the designated campsite near the outlet.

I'm told by my spies that it's very nice.
Thanks TM. Yeah, I'm going to have to give it another try as well if I make it back.. Great spot in general though.