Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
abundy0014

need new camera

Hey guys looking for a new camera since mine is at the bottom of a pool in otter brook any thoughts on what to get? I had a Nikon aw100 that I liked a lot but wanted to see what else is out there. I would prefer water proof and will be using for fishing so keep that in mind with recommendations thanks
abundy0014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
G.S.sharp
gary

camera

I got a an olympus stylus TG-830 not to big water prof to 30 feet GPS takes good pics battery could last longer . HD video too.
it rolled around in the bottom of my canoe most weekends this summer . verry happy with my purchase

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gasharp...7635215020187/

some pics from this summer taken with the Olympus.
G.S.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

Save some money for a lanyard. My AW 100 doesn't know how to swim either and it took a bit to get it from the middle of a class 1-2 riffle in the Ozarks in April.

It was orange which was a big help.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

I have a point and shoot camera and it is seriously the best camera ever.
Canon ELPH 100 HS. It takes great video and pictures. The audio is fantastic too. Its lightweight and fits right in your pocket. And I payed $140 on Amazon but now its about $100.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...wershot+100+hs
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
12trysomething

need new camera

I use the Canon ELPH 110 for my videos and pictures. It has excellent quality including sound. I purchased mine as a reconditioned from Canon for about 50% off.

Good luck.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
mossarden

Love my Nikon COOLPIX....waterproof and shockproof
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
RichieC

GoPro... Comes with an underwater housing that also serves to protect it, takes videos and stills, stop motion recordings, get a mount for the end of your hiking/wading staff for selfies, you can use it for all sorts of fun things.

;0)
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
yellowcanoe

Go Pro is fine but the fish eye lens is limiting. Do you want stills, closeups, videos, telephoto?

This is from my AW100 which soldiers on. Have a few thousand photos under its belt.. I do use Photoshop and Photomatix and mostly leave it on the HDR function.

My next camera needs to be waterproof, small and shoot RAW files so I have an excuse to get Lightroom and Photomatix Pro.

yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

If you check out my photos they are all taken with an Olympus TG830. It's bombproof. BTW, the battery life increases considerably if you disable the GPS function.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
sciencedude288

I can't really give you specific recommendations without more details about what you want to use the camera for.

Here are a few things to look for:

-Sensors: CMOS sensors (vs CCD) offer improved still photograph capabilities. As far as sensors go, bigger is better. Here is a graph of common sizes.
-Zoom range: The reported zoom ranges are usually bunk; especially if they include digital zoom, which is absolutely pointless. You can do the same thing with software. What you want to look at is the focal (mm) range. Small numbers show the wide extreme and big numbers the highest zoom capability. Low end values around 16-24 mm are good for landscape, while you'll want upper values between 140 and 200 mm (around 250 would be better) for portraits and macro photography.
-f-stop: This refers to how close or far the camera can focus. Large f-stop values mean that it can capture large depth of field. This is good for landscape photography. You'll want something around 8.0. Small f-stop values mean that it can focus on things close to the camera. Around 2 is typical.
-Lenses: Nikon and Canon are both good, but just keep in mind that once you get one, you are pretty much locked in to their lenses. They are not interchangeable because the attachment mechanisms are different. Personally, I prefer the color range of Canon sensors, but it's pretty marginal and usually subjective.
-File type: Get something that can shoot RAW. These image files are bigger than JPGs, but contain more information and can be edited with way more precision (though not necessarily more easily).
-ISO Noise: There are three ways for a camera to adjust exposure in various light conditions: either by changing f-stop, shutter speed, or ISO. Increasing ISO can provide more light in dark conditions, but the photos will be grainier. Cameras with low ISO noise values can shoot in lower light conditions without compromising image quality. Values around 200 are good.

These are both really good tools for comparing models:

http://snapsort.com/compare

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
sciencedude288 is offline   Reply With Quote