Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
brownjt

Your favorite High Peak day hikes??

Greetings,
I've been given some leeway with my Sundays from the missus as of late and am looking to explore a few more high peaks. I'd love to hear what some of your favorite High Peak day hikes are. I just zipped up Cascade and Porter a few weekends ago in about 2.5 hours and realized there is so much I could do with an 8 hour window of time. Any thoughts or stories would be much appreciated!
J
brownjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
TBPDPTI

There's simply too much to go into for such a broad question. I"d recommend purchasing a trail guide or two, and exploring some of what it (they) has (have) to offer. As a next option, why don't you look at Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge, or Big Slide.

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
rdl

I would suggest not limiting yourself to High Peaks only -- many of the "lesser" peaks have views that are as good or better than High Peaks, and the effort required often is not trivial.

Possibilities include: Noonmark, Ampersand, Hurricane, Catamount. Many, many more...
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
GeoLobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
I would suggest not limiting yourself to High Peaks only -- many of the "lesser" peaks have views that are as good or better than High Peaks, and the effort required often is not trivial.

Possibilities include: Noonmark, Ampersand, Hurricane, Catamount. Many, many more...
and all the firetower mtns (blue, owls head, lyon, etc

<smile>

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/adkleanto/[/URL]
GeoLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
richard1726

Giant.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
jtcohen1964

Some of my favorite day hikes have been out of the Keene Valley area. (1) From St. Huberts, hike over Dial, up Nippletop, and then return via Elk Pass. (2) From the Garden, hike towards Johns Brook Lodge, up Big Slide, and return to the Garden via The Brothers. (3) I haven't done this in more than 30 years, but hike up the back side of Giant from Keene Valley, and then return to Rt. 73 east of Keene Valley via the direct trail down to Route 73. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more recent experience on the backside trail up Giant.

All of these hikes avoid an out-and-back trip, which makes it interesting. They also have fantastic views. Given that the days are growing short, you will have to gauge whether or not you can cover the distance (and elevation) in the time you will have.
jtcohen1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
brownjt

Thanks to all for the replies. I was a bit vague but was simply curious about what others had come to find were "favorites" in terms of day hikes involving some mileage/effort. Thanks again!
brownjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Rainman

I was very proud to do Allen as a day Hike!!!
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote