Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
pmac

Two day hike recommendation?

Hi folks...

I'm a PA resident who's been day-hiking the Adirondacks a couple times a year for close to 30 years now, so I know the park fairly well... but now I have an opportunity to do a two day backpacking trip (my first) with a friend who's an experienced backpacker, but not real familiar with the Adirondack Park (he's been there twice).

So... I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm not looking in particular to bag a peak (I've only done Cascade and Porter out of the 46), but I'm open to it. I'd also be happy just catching some nice scenery even if it wasn't from a peak; for example, is Indian Pass a good destination, and can it be made part of a worthwhile loop?

For that matter, it doesn't have to be in the High Peaks region, either; I saw suggestions elsewhere here for the Pharoah Lake area, and the east side of Lake George... areas that I've day-hiked in the past. Any other suggestions in addition to those?

We're looking at June 7-8, not sure what the situation is regarding black flies at that time...

thanks!
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

There are so many options it isn't even funny.

Best high peaks experience without the high peaks -> Hurricane Mountain Wilderness. Either that or Jay Mtn or Dix Wilderness.

Other places in no particular order:

Pigeon Lakes Wilderness -> Queer and Cascade Lakes
Pharaoh Lakes Wilderness -> Pharaoh Lake and Mtn (there are a ton of other trails out there as well).
West Canada Lakes Wilderness -> Cedar Lake
Lake George Wild Forest -> Dacy Clearing the east side and a number of peaks along the lake or the Tongue Range on the West side.

There are literally hundreds of others. Those are some popular ones.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
rdl

Yeah - hundreds of options.

A couple to consider:

Hurricane Mt area - from Crow Clearing head in to the lean-to or nearby campsites and day hike Hurricane, the Crows, Nun-da-gao ridge.

From Upper Works trail-head - hike north through Indian Pass and past Rocky Falls, camp at the Loj campground then head south through Avalanche Pass and then back to the car via Calamity Brook. Might be more miles than you're looking for, I'm guessing around 20 or more in total. You would be hiking through some awesome terrain though. To shorten that hike you could head through Indian Pass and camp near Rocky Falls then turn around and retrace your steps the next day to return.

Black flies will be there in early June.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
pmac

Thanks to the both of you for those suggestions... you're right that there are lots of options, so I was looking for some that were considered better recommendations than others.

Hurricane was always on my to-do list, and you both mention that. Last summer our family did the Crows, saw a sign off that trail for Nun-da-gao that looked intriguing too.

The Indian Pass / Avalanche Lake loop sounds interesting too; I've been to Avalanche Lake twice about 10 years ago, but my friend hasn't been there at all yet.

The West Canada Lakes and Pigeon Wilderness areas I'm guessing would be much quieter compared to the High Peaks region... or is the High Peaks area not too busy yet?

rdl - you mention black flies - I'm assuming that's a concern for the Indian Pass hike; not so much for higher areas like Hurricane?

thanks again....
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
rdl

Quote:
you mention black flies - I'm assuming that's a concern for the Indian Pass hike; not so much for higher areas like Hurricane?
Everyone has different tolerance for black flies. Me, I'm a wimp when it comes to black flies and will stay away during bug season. But there's really no way to predict how bad the black flies will be in any one area - and elevation is not a factor with regard to black fly density.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote