Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #81
KeanGrad

WOW, This is great. My daughter and I are in the midst of planning this trip as I write. We are shooting for the 3rd week in July. I can't wait to read the trip reports. Best wishes and thanks for the great info already posted !!!

KG
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #82
KeanGrad

Thanks Chairrock, all this info is very helpful.

Have a great weekend.

KG
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #83
adktyler
previously adk88

Sorry to revive this thread for my own personal gain, but I just wanted to throw this out there. The only time I can hike this trail is tomorrow though Sunday. I had two hiking partners, but they had to back out because of work issues. This is SUPER late notice, especially with it being Easter and all, but if anyone wants to hike this weekend, I'd love the company. My email address is tjm88 at inbox dot com. I'll be online late today, so if you're interested give me a shout out.

Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #84
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
Sorry to revive this thread for my own personal gain, but I just wanted to throw this out there. The only time I can hike this trail is tomorrow though Sunday. I had two hiking partners, but they had to back out because of work issues. This is SUPER late notice, especially with it being Easter and all, but if anyone wants to hike this weekend, I'd love the company. My email address is tjm88 at inbox dot com. I'll be online late today, so if you're interested give me a shout out.

Thanks!!
I'd join you, but I have family commitments. Enjoy. Probably will be a bit of snow in some places I'll bet.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #85
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

this time may not be a bad time to hit it....for sure going to be wet but not to muddy as it colder and things will be frozen up...enjoy tyler..what time are you coming out?? pm me as i will be at dads just few miles away and would love to meet when your done...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #86
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
this time may not be a bad time to hit it....for sure going to be wet but not to muddy as it colder and things will be frozen up...enjoy tyler..what time are you coming out?? pm me as i will be at dads just few miles away and would love to meet when your done...
Sent you a PM on Views, Rob. We'll see how fast I hike...that will determine when I come out! I don't want to rush, though, gotta smell a couple roses to make Rik happy!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #87
whitefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post

Thanks!!
ADK88
Are you going to do a trip report when you return, im planning to hike the CL-50 in early may, it would be good to here what the trail conditions are like,
good luck and have a good hike.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #88
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoot View Post
ADK88
Are you going to do a trip report when you return, im planning to hike the CL-50 in early may, it would be good to here what the trail conditions are like,
good luck and have a good hike.

Did you get a group to go whitefoot or solo? either way sounds like the CL-50 will get plenty of foot traffic this yr.. good for the area I hope with business...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #89
whitefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
Did you get a group to go whitefoot or solo? either way sounds like the CL-50 will get plenty of foot traffic this yr.. good for the area I hope with business...
Yup. there will be 4 or 5 of us going.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #90
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

I will be hiking the High Falls loop tomorrow & Sunday to finish the CL50.

See ya out there!
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #91
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bear View Post
I will be hiking the High Falls loop tomorrow & Sunday to finish the CL50.

See ya out there!
Sweet! Have a great trip, and congrats in advance!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #92
MarkL
Self-challenged

CL-50 Trail markers

For those of you working on the CL-50 between now and early June: The official trail markers have been made, and as of Wednesday, 5/13, some sections of the loop have been assigned to individuals to put up the markers. Whether you see any on your hike depends on when the individual gets a chance to go out and nail them up. So you may see them on some sections of trail and not on others. The whole loop should have the markers by June 6, which is National Trails Day. The ADK is organizing lots of trail work in the Wanakena-Cranberry Lake area, [see http://www.adk.org/trails/National-Trails-Day.aspx ] and whatever sections haven't been marked by then will be marked by people that day.
Remember, the trails are already marked with the standard DEC trail markers. The CL-50 markers are just to give occasional aid or reassurance. Occasional = 6-8/mile, or 3-4 in one direction/mile.
Oh yeah... they're BLUE.

Last edited by MarkL; 05-16-2009 at 06:19 PM..
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #93
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
For those of you working on the CL-50 between now and early June: The official trail markers have been made, and as of Wednesday, 5/13, some sections of the loop have been assigned to individuals to put up the markers. Whether you see any on your hike depends on when the individual gets a chance to go out and nail them up. So you may see them on some sections of trail and not on others. The whole loop should have the markers by June 6, which is National Trails Day. The ADK is organizing lots of trail work in the Wanakena-Cranberry Lake area, [see http://www.adk.org/trails/National-Trails-Day.aspx ] and whatever sections haven't been marked by then will be marked by people that day.
Remember, the trails are already marked with the standard DEC trail markers. The CL-50 markers are just to give occasional (6-8/mile, or 3-4 in one direction/mile) aid or reassurance.
Oh yeah... they're BLUE.
That's AWESOME news!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #94
hiker99

Hi, My name is Marcy (hiker99) Congratulations on finishing the Cranberry 50! I am hoping to do a part of it this fall but am having difficulty finding the information about this hike- Perhaps you could help.

I would like to know how I can get information such as maps for this hike as well as starting places etc. Can you help? Thanks.
hiker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #95
Flyrodonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker99 View Post
Hi, My name is Marcy (hiker99) Congratulations on finishing the Cranberry 50! I am hoping to do a part of it this fall but am having difficulty finding the information about this hike- Perhaps you could help.

I would like to know how I can get information such as maps for this hike as well as starting places etc. Can you help? Thanks.
This is a link to a web page which should have most of what your looking for. http://www.cranberrylake50.org/
Flyrodonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #96
Baby Matty

I'm looking to hike this trail over Columbus Day weekend. What are the nights like? I am wondering if my 30 degree down bag is gonna cut it at night, basically. I'll be sleeping under my tent fly and on a warm pad. Also, will I be hitting peak foliage?
Baby Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #97
dundee

You might be past peak on color. As far as the nights go, your guess is as good as anybody's. We might get nice warm weather, we might get rainy, cold crap. Be prepared for the worst! I find that the ratings for temps on sleeping bags are way off. I'd personally would go with a 0-5 degree bag. I've hit temps down to 16F that time of year. You don't never know.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #98
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Matty View Post
I'm looking to hike this trail over Columbus Day weekend. What are the nights like? I am wondering if my 30 degree down bag is gonna cut it at night, basically. I'll be sleeping under my tent fly and on a warm pad. Also, will I be hitting peak foliage?
Days and nights can be cold. I recall several Columbus Day hikes in sleet and ice pellets. On the other hand some very spectacularly clear days are memorable too, but they mean very chilly nights, heavy frost is probable if clear. I'd take a slightly warmer bag, or a heavy fleece liner for the 30-degree bag. You are probably a week to 10 days late for peak leaf season.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #99
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'll second dundee and recommend a 0 or 5 degree bag for Columbus day weekend.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #100
Baby Matty

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I'll have to go with the 30 degree bag, as my warmer bag is synthetic and weighs a ton... I am a warm sleeper fortunately, so I will probably just layer up and see how it goes. If it's really bad, I'll just boil some water and huddle with a warm nalgene in my bag.

How are the leaves looking at the moment? Have they started to turn a lot? I'm in the Niagara region, and the trees are still green for the most part.
Baby Matty is offline   Reply With Quote