Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Rock Pond Campsite

Good evening,

Question on a campsite - I think it is #26 but not sure.

On a trip with my son a little while back we camped at Rock Pond on what surely was the hottest, muggiest, most insect filled spring day in the universe. It was here he proclaimed he was in favor of fall canoe trips from here on out.

If I recall as you entered RP from LT and headed towards the Hardigan portage it was the second campsite on the right and had a nice rocky out-cropping.

As I went back some time later it was criss-crossed with fallen trees and was pretty much unusable.

Can someone confirm it it was #26 and if it was, is it still covered in trees?

Thank you.

Sorry I can't help, but your post tasked me to revisit rock pond. I camped on the island on my way to the carry route to lila, but explored it not at all. need to go back there. Actually, I need to explore Little Tupper more, but have had 2 bad wind experiences there. Does the wind always blow there??
    Turtle

Comment

As of last May, there were stillt tress on the site in that location. I am not sure if it was site 26, but it was the one near the Hardigan portage.

Comment

Thank you dacipkowsk for the update - that sounds like the place.

Turtle, yes there is typically a breeze (headwind, gale) that you have to deal with. It's a drag on the way in but nice on the way out. I would get a couple of rods out and troll all the way back to the parking lot. Good brookie years in past - not so much any more, but the bass can keep you pretty entertained.

Start way early to get a jump before the wind picks up and keep adjusting your route as you go.

Comment

In the Adirondack Park, there are 43 Mud Ponds, 21 Long Ponds, 16 Clear Ponds, 16 Round Ponds, 14 Lost Ponds, 14 Rock Ponds, 14 Deer Ponds, 13 Grass Ponds, 12 Buck Ponds, 10 Lily Pad Ponds & 10 Bear Ponds.
          https://www.facebook.com/adkpaddleski/

https://northeastwild.blogspot.com/

Comment

So the info above must be more current. In this trip report I am pretty sure we are at #26. The green tarp is our day tarp (heavy showers) and our hammocks are set further back in the woods. But this was Aug 2017.

We were pretty smart and got up real early and beat the wind - on the way out . No pesky tail winds for us.

Got smarter this last year and brought a sailboat to Cedar River Flow. Not a breath of wind stronger than a beaver fart.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Working...
            X