Wood Gunwales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Gunwales

To paddlers with wood gunwales, I have a question about their durability and replacement.

I have a composite solo canoe with wood gunwales. There is some rot on them at the bow and stern, but in general they are in decent shape and well in place. My question to you is: do you just wear out (while maintaining) the gunwales until they break and then replace them, or do you replace them when a certain amount of rot is found as to not risk having them break in the backcountry? Also, with new wood gunwales on the boat, lets say ash, how long will they last with good maintenance if the boat is usually stored indoors?

I'd appreciate your feedback!

-D

Don't wait for them to fail! Are the gunwales ash? You can cut out the bad sections and scarf joint replacements using a good, strong waterproof glue like Resorcinol. Or you can replace them completely. I prefer mahogany - looks better and more rot resistant.

Comment

40+ years with watco oil every 5 to 10 years. Garage stored, ash, never removed, just tightened a bit when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
        Don't wait for them to fail! Are the gunwales ash? You can cut out the bad sections and scarf joint replacements using a good, strong waterproof glue like Resorcinol. Or you can replace them completely. I prefer mahogany - looks better and more rot resistant.
        They are currently mahogany. Yeah, maybe it's just time to replace them and upkeep the new ones to last. But replacing just a section using the scarf joint seems like another good option. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by richard1726 View Post
          40+ years with watco oil every 5 to 10 years. Garage stored, ash, never removed, just tightened a bit when needed.
          Thanks for the info, Richard. I have heard ash is among the most durable options.

Comment

I have mahogany ones that need to be replaced. Does anyone know of someone who is in the business of replacing wooden gunwales?

Comment

Canoe repair shop, 522 North Main, Gloversville, NY. They should have no problem doing the work. I would think now would be a better time than the "get ready time" in the Spring.

Comment

Thanks Richard, I'll give them a call. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                X