Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tour de FLWF: How did all this junk get back in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour de FLWF: How did all this junk get back in there?

Hey all,

I just did an overnighter in FLWF, where I visited Long Lake, Waters Mill Pond, Long Pond, Knapps Long Lake, Dexter, Spectacle, and Fourth. While I enjoyed myself in there, I was constantly stumbling across heaps of trash. Some of it was clearly old, left there from who knows when, but the piles of little-faded Pepsi and Bud Light cans were more recently deposited. In addition to pots, pans, cutlery, and way too many blue cheapo tarps, there was also less junky stuff illegally stashed in Hefty Bags or within tarps for some camping party's future use.

My question to forum members:

This is from float plains, right? I can't imagine someone on foot bringing a 24 pack of Pepsi and a few Hefty bags full of gear miles into the woods.

If I am right thinking it's from float plains, then are those who operate such plains in the Adirondacks responsible to some degree for what their clients leave behind?

I grabbed one tarp, a dozen beer cans and some glass bottles and was at capacity. Should I call a ranger? Or should I just cope with the fact that a lot of trash lives in the Adirondack woods.

Thoughts appreciated.

-D

I certainly think its worth mentioning to a ranger. He may speak to the float plane operators to have their clients clean up their act. Can't do any harm.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome trip!

I suspect it's probably hunting camps and perhaps snowmobilers leaving the recent junk. I don't think those ponds are big enough for a float plane. Maybe a small one, but not one that would be able to carry people plus a lot of stuff for a fishing or hunting camp.

It could be folks hauling that stuff in on their back. I've seen some interesting trash many miles back in the woods. Not everyone has a backpack and a Hefty Bag makes for an awkward, but convenient waterproof carrying container.

That areas was also logged until the 1950's, so maybe some is leftover from that?

Definitely worth a call to DEC. If you've got exact locations (i.e. big pile of Bud Light cans adjacent to the Long Pond designated campsite), that'll help the rangers find it a little easier.

If you've got any pictures, we'd love to see them. I love that area of the FLWF and need to figure out a way to get back up there soon.
      Tick Magnet

Comment

Thanks TM and EC. I do not have any photos as I didn't bring a camera. I will write or call the Ranger for that district and tell him specific locations.

D

Comment

The rangers will not do anything, they must certainly will not pick up the trash

Comment

Working...
          X