Hot tenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot tenting

So air is getting crisp. We are 4 season hammock campers and have the right gear to overnight safely. Although we usually string up close enough to chit chat we do miss a larger shelter to get out of the weather a bit, play cards, do simple camp chores. And while a campfire is timeless and enjoyable a smaller fire crackling away in a stove inside a shelter has some distinct advantages too.

Looking for thoughts and experiences.

I've seen the snow trekker canvas tents, and others, but that may be more of a basecamp thing. Especially since we'd probably sleep in the hammocks still. Big tents are nice but I think the smaller pyramid types (Kifaru, Seekoutside, Luxe) are where we will end up. Some are light enough to toss in pack w/o stove to serve as emergency shelters.

Kni-Co stoves would work well for car camping but if we wanted to backpack a bit we'd probably have to resort to a sled. The low weight stoves seem to be "some assembly required" which is fine but I would worry about the small bits wandering off in the snow.

Of course, now we'd have to carry tools to process wood (only dead & downed) and this whole rig would be not permitted in High Peaks or other areas that ban campfires. Still, the idea of having a "warming hut" even at a ADK Loj site is attractive.

Would welcome your warm thoughts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

I ended up getting a SO 8 man tipi with the xl stove, it has worked out great for us from hunting in the fall, backpacking/fishing trips in the spring, and family trips in the summer. After a lot of research I was between kifaru and SO for the durability, customer service and many positive reviews of their performance in inclement weather. Backpacking the tipi and stove in between 2 people is very doable, one thing I really appreciate about floorless shelters is being able to walk in with your boots still on. With the stove it can easily accommodate 4 people and hear. Without the stove it is a shangrila.

As far as wood processing we do well with a folding saw and a solid knife for batoning the wood, but a small hatchet would work great as well. We can usually get a 2-3 hour burn after each stocking, but I think if we used some larger diameter wood and closed the dampers down more could probably get 3-4 hours. Being able to hang out in a 80 degree shelter while it is snowing out is a luxury.

Comment

tenderfoot - There are a number of people using hammocks in hot tents so it's definitely out there if you'd rather remain hanging. There is a new winter camping forum that you could check out as I know folks over there are into making their hammocks their year round set-up. I believe this will get you to the forum: wintercampingsymposium.com

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

I'm a hot tenter with a Snowtrekker. It's a lot of gear and you are correct by saying its a basecamp type setup. I love my tent and look forward to riding out more snow squalls in the ADK's with the stove roaring. I use a cot with a Thermarest Mondoking sleeping pad and sleep like a baby. I haul the wood in and have switched to Envi Blocks which are easier to pack. I've not had good success scavenging wood during winter.

Check out member Bioguide's YouTube channel. He's the one that got me thinking about hot tenting. Keep us posted. Best of luck!
        Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Wood

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post
          So air is getting crisp. We are 4 season hammock campers and have the right gear to overnight safely. Although we usually string up close enough to chit chat we do miss a larger shelter to get out of the weather a bit, play cards, do simple camp chores. And while a campfire is timeless and enjoyable a smaller fire crackling away in a stove inside a shelter has some distinct advantages too.

Looking for thoughts and experiences.

I've seen the snow trekker canvas tents, and others, but that may be more of a basecamp thing. Especially since we'd probably sleep in the hammocks still. Big tents are nice but I think the smaller pyramid types (Kifaru, Seekoutside, Luxe) are where we will end up. Some are light enough to toss in pack w/o stove to serve as emergency shelters.

Kni-Co stoves would work well for car camping but if we wanted to backpack a bit we'd probably have to resort to a sled. The low weight stoves seem to be "some assembly required" which is fine but I would worry about the small bits wandering off in the snow.

Of course, now we'd have to carry tools to process wood (only dead & downed) and this whole rig would be not permitted in High Peaks or other areas that ban campfires. Still, the idea of having a "warming hut" even at a ADK Loj site is attractive.

Would welcome your warm thoughts.
          You could also do what Bioguide does and go in during the warmer seasons and stash a pile of wood for the winter. Now finding it may be another story, just like finding the Cedar River Flow inlet.
          Last edited by electbc; 10-04-2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

electbc: Yes, the very shy cedar river flow inlet. My phone just reminded me of our adventure last year. What great fun.

Stashing wood: I am not organized enough to pull this off. Ability to go and desired destination change often. Not discounting it entirely, the idea of spending a fall or summer day processing and stashing wood is not terrible.

Envi Blocks. Interesting. I thought about hauling wood or pellets if resorting to a sled or camping close to car (ADK Loj for instance).

If Bioguide is the gentleman that has a clear door and listens to books on tape while watching the snow fall I am familiar. Great videos. I think he has those neat skis too.

Snapper: Yes, spent a lot of time thinking about the hammock in the hot tent idea. I've seen the tarps, toyed with the idea of making one. I really want to stress to my camping buddy (daughter) that the hot tent is a luxury and we should not be camping outside the safety range of our cold-camp gear.

nnyhunter: Big fan of SO. Looking at their new Silex which is 1 person w/ stive but 2 people without. Attracted to it because of weight and the pitch seems to offer decent head room. Not something you walk into though and although the two of us could use it as a warming hut not for sleeping.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have the Seek Outside Cimaron with a Lite Outdoors stove with it. The tent and stove comes in at 6lbs, using a stick instead of a pole. It's not the roomiest compared to other hot tents, but it packs small and is light. For two people plus a dog it's perfect. I have used it with a larger group, up to 4 ppl, and we will bring other tents to sleep in and use the hot tent to hang out, cook on the woodstove, etc. If you are hammack camping and want a small hot tent to relax in, then do check out the Cimaron.

I also enjoy using the tent without the stove in the shoulder seasons. It sleeps 3 or 4 without the stove.
              Attached Files

Comment

dacipkowski - I have looked at that combination over and over again. Drawn to it...

Can I ask how long you have had the Litoudoors stove? 12', 18' or extra large (I keep looking at the 18'). Go together easy enough after the first couple of tries? Thanks.

Putting me off is the price. But often one gets what one pays for. No worries if I have a gear failure car camping but I would live to head out to wherever that photo is from.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

tenderfoot - Not looking to take anything away from Seek Outside as I have, and enjoy using, their Red Cliff with their xl titanium stove. But if cost is an issue (and why wouldn't it be?), I would suggest you check out Luxe Outdoors. I recently picked up their Minipeak XL with the inner tent. My grandson and I used it on Lake Lila back in August and without the stove, there's plenty of room for four under the shelter; only two in the inner tent though. I picked one up because it's made with the polyester coating so it won't sag as much as a slinylon shelter when wet. Since I already have the stove, I'm good to go on that front. Also, if you want to save a few more $$$, you can purchase it without the inner tent so that might help you out as well. If you're interested, check them out at:
                  luxe-hiking-gear.com

snapper

Comment

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post
                    dacipkowski - I have looked at that combination over and over again. Drawn to it...

Can I ask how long you have had the Litoudoors stove? 12', 18' or extra large (I keep looking at the 18'). Go together easy enough after the first couple of tries? Thanks.

Putting me off is the price. But often one gets what one pays for. No worries if I have a gear failure car camping but I would live to head out to wherever that photo is from.
                    I hear you on the price. I use the 18" stove. The depth allows me to load longer sticks, which makes processing wood a bit easier. I can get the whole stove together in about 5 minutes and it appears to be durable. My only issue with that stove over the square ones, like those by SO, is that it is more difficult to boil water on. There are bars that run along the top of the stove that can be used to support a pot, but since the contact area with the stove is relatively minimal, boiling water is challenging. It's great for cooking other things, though. For sausages or other meats/veggies wrapped in foil and placed on top, it's great. I echo snappers suggestion to check out Luxe for a cheaper alternative.

Comment

One thing that I have learned after a couple dozen uses is to be very picky about the wood you chose to burn. Try to find the driest dead downed wood possible. If you find some choice DDW to burn the only issue you'll have is being too warm. It'll burn wetter wood as well once it gets going, but it wont keep it t-shirt weather in the tent.

My favorite aspect of the Cimarron is its versatility. It is so light that you don't need to rely on snow so you can sled in your gear. And it's a great shelter without a stove, too. A place for a group to hang out in, or a roomy solo/double to use with or without a stove. Get a small bug net inner, like the solo serenity bug net offered by Six Moon Designs, and then you have a insect proof summer shelter that has room to hang out in on those rainy days.

Comment

To dacikowski's point, at this time I'm looking to thin out my tent supply and anticipate winnowing my selections down to my Seek Outside "Redcliff" and my Luxe "MinipeakXL" when all is said and done. Since I have an inner tent for both of them, giving ample bug protection, they really do fit the bill.

That's all for now. Sorry for the thread drift. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

I made my own stove and chimney out of stainless steel shim stock, stainless pie tins, stainless cable and turnbuckles. I can't remember the weight, but it's only a few pounds. There is a couple pics of it on my album page.
                          Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Lot of SO users here. I had the SO 4-man tipi with the LiteOutdoors 18" stove. Great combination. SO doesn't always post it on their website but if you call them there may be "blems" for sale which are appearance-related only. I bought my 4-man tipi as a blem and as long as I had it, I could never find the blem. It was a decent discount too.

SO has a number of tent configurations so you have to see what works best for you. I like the 4-man tipi because it provided headroom to stand. With the stove, it was a ton of space for two people. Three could squeeze in but not recommended.

You can look on Rokslide for a used one but they get snapped up within minutes of being listed. Good luck.

Comment

If you're interested in finding out about Seek Outside blems sale, sign up for the e-mail list. I did that a few years ago and am always alerted to the sales they're having. One word of caution, if you see something you like, jump on it. A couple of years ago I got an e-mail about a sale and checked it over just before going off for my daily noontime swim. I figured I'd make the purchase when I got back to the office. About 45 minutes later when I got back in, the shelter was already sold; and they had at least a half dozen of them to begin with.

snapper

Comment

Working...
                              X