Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campsite Question

Good evening,

There are a couple of campsites I was curious about. Not necessarily to stay, just wondering.

In the transition between Bog Lake and Lows Lake there are a couple of sites.

Paddling from LTL to Rock Pond you come across a couple of sites.

If I remember correctly there is a site on the Beaver River off Lake Lila.

Any intel on any of these, and have you stayed at any of them? More importantly, if you did, would you stay there again?

Horror stories? Pleasantly surprised?

Thank you.

The sites between Bog Lake and Lows Lake are kind of... eh... For one thing, that whole passage between the two lakes (Lows Lake and Bog Lake) is never correctly shown on maps- it's a lot narrower and boggier than most maps indicate.

Site 37 is actually an old gravel pit/log landing. Lots of sandy flat ground but it's set back from the water. Not much in the way of shade either so it gets the summer sun full on for most of the day. During my most recent visit this past summer, it was missing the "Camp Here" disc... and it was also really buggy. Site 38 I didn't stop in to check on during my trip a few months ago but I remember it being kind of small from a previous visit years ago. It's also set pretty far back from the water.

On the plus side, these sites get very little use so the odds of finding them unoccupied (even on a somewhat busy weekend) are usually pretty good.

There are also sites further south- one is on the south shore of Bog Lake, at the north end of the portage between Clear Pond and Bog Lake. EDIT: Apparently I'm wrong on this site- see dacipkowski's response below for more info about this specific site.

Clear Pond has a designated site on the north shore that is quite nice- good flat ground in a shaded section of forest (this also appears to be an old cabin site but it is much nicer than the site discussed on Bog Lake above).

Alternatively, the Grass Pond sites all get less use than the Lows Lake proper sites, and are pretty nice for the most part. If I was trying to avoid crowds/minimize competition for available sites, I'd probably pick this direction over paddling south towards Bog Lake.

--------------------------------------------

Regarding the stretch between Little Tupper and Rock Pond, from there are two sites along this portion. Site #23 I was unable to get to during my trip through a couple of months ago, because the shore line was was so boggy and muddy- no way to get the boat close enough to the shore that you weren't walking through knee or thigh deep thick muck just to access the site. Site #24 was OK, set back from the water and small (with room for 1, maybe 2 tents). It clearly doesn't get much use.

IMO, it's generally worth the added effort to continue paddling to Rock Pond, as the sites there are all pretty nice. (Except for Site #26, that one needs to be taken out around back behind the barn and put out of its misery.) (Also worth noting that I did not stop in to check out Site #27, so no idea if this one is nice or not.)

--------------------------------------------

I've not visited the Beaver River site (Site #12) so I can't comment on that.
    Last edited by DSettahr; 09-01-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Ditto the previous information. Especially the ones on the Rock Pond outlet -- they're what I call "overflow sites"; mostly used when everything else is full, or if someone is running out of time before dark. If you have to use one, use 24; it's on a little peninsula with a big white pine. The two on Lows nearest the route to Bog Lake are pretty dismal too. I checked out the Beaver River one several years ago during a Lila visit; it was better than the others mentioned; nothing to write home about but it wasn't too bad. (Unlike the others, it isn't on the way to anything; the river becomes private & posted, not too far south.)

Comment

The official site on the south shore of Bog Lake is not in that open area mentioned earlier. It took me a couple visits to this place to figure this out.

From that open area where people sometimes camp, and that certainly appears on the map to be the official site (although there is no disc), there is a faint trail marked by flagging that takes you a couple hundred feet west to a campsite marked with a Camp Here disc. It's well off the water on a little hill, and next to a large concrete foundation, presumably a remnant of a camp. There are old bird houses in some of the trees around this site, which I thought was kind of neat. There is a fairly obvious path to this site from the water, just west of the put in/take out for the portage trail.

I visitied the site in June and again in July, but did not stay there. If you go to Bog Lake I suggest checking out the upper section of the Bog River. It's the main inlet into Bog Lake. The water is dark and cold (even in July) and it feels a bit different than the other sections of the Bog River IMO.

Comment

Thanks for that clarification, dacipkowski. I edited that info out of my post. During my visit, I wondered if maybe that wasn't the site- but there's also so many "designated sites" without "Camp Here" discs across the park that's it is never easy to be 100% sure one way or the other. In any case, the signage here is inadequate even if the "Camp Here" disc does exist in the actual site- there is a need for arrows, and for the obvious fire pit in the open clearing to be dismantled and removed.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            Thanks for that clarification, dacipkowski. I edited that info out of my post. During my visit, I wondered if maybe that wasn't the site- but there's also so many "designated sites" without "Camp Here" discs across the park that's it is never easy to be 100% sure one way or the other. In any case, the signage here is inadequate even if the "Camp Here" disc does exist in the actual site- there is a need for arrows, and for the obvious fire pit in the open clearing to be dismantled and removed.
            DSettahr, I agree that it needs better signage. I attached a couple photos of the site. If you or anyone else happens to know the history of the camp that was there I'd love to hear about it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos. That does look like a much nicer place to camp than the spot I was thinking was the designated tent site- even factoring in the fact that it's a bit overgrown.

Comment

I found the site mentioned at Bog Lake to be nice, didn't take much notice of the ones between Lows and Bog.
                I would go back there fro sure.
                Stopped there one night along Lila to Lows Traverse five years ago or so.
                Site is elevated like mentioned and actually has two water areas, one has a small doc. Very quiet back there.

Comment

The first site from LTL to Rock Pond falls into my WhoTF would camp here category.

Comment

Thank you everyone,

I got thinking about this after my near fatal encounter with #6 on Round a couple of weeks back. I like to keep a small list of sites w/details in my map case for just in case and realized I had no intel on these.

Appreciate it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X