Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
stargazr1116

Spur Trail off of Spruce Lake Trail?

I hiked up to Spruce Lake this weekend from the parking lot at the end of Jessup River Road. A little over 1/4 mile from the trailhead, before you hit the intersection with the Northville-Lake Placid Trail, there is a sign that points you to the right (if you're facing the sign) to go onward to Spruce Lake. To the left of the sign is another trail, but it wasn't labeled or named, and I can't seem to find it on any of the maps. It looked too well worn to be a herd trail, but I didn't have time to explore. Anyone know where it heads?
stargazr1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There's a ton of old logging roads in that area- I think there was a portion to the west of the Perkins Clearing Easement that was privately owned up until the Perkins Clearing Land Swap, which I think mostly occurred in 1979- so they could very well have been active roads up until that point.

Back in 2008 and 2009 I spent some time poking around on these old roads. My memory is pretty hazy, but I think the old road in question that you're referring to joins the NPT after a couple tenths of a mile or so. It then coincides with the NPT for a bit. There's a few other old logging roads that branch off of the NPT further south that can be spotted with a keen eye.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
SpencerVT

I love this area. So incredibly remote.
When I climbed Spruce Lake Mountain I went in with permission via the West where the Miller Camp is. (The Miller Camp is to the West of the Mountain and is labeled on some topo maps. It was an extremely long hike and a very long day. Quite a few ATV trails and old logging as mentioned.

Tags
spruce lake, spur trail, west canada lakes