Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Removing Heel-Lift Bar

Anyone know if the Heel-Lift bar on a pair of Atlas 12 Series Snowshoes is removable?

It's something that I don't use very often, and just wondering if I can remove it without damaging it or the snowshoe, and put it back on when I want to.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Interesting question. Those are my snowshoes of choice as well. I have never contemplated removing the bars before though. A few reasons come to mind. One is that I can't think of a reason that would be enough of a benefit to justify the project. Two would be concerns about being able to re-install them and have no loss in functionality when I need them. Lastly, and likely most important in my mind, is that I actually do use them. Not all of the time mind you, but often enough that I wouldn't consider removing them. They really only help when things are very steep. I hiked Cascade and Porter for grins several weeks back, and never really found a place that I would want to use them on that trail. On Allen a couple weeks back they came in handy for awhile.

Might I ask why you are considering doing this?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Just curious is all.
Like I said, I don't use the heel lift often (but do on occasion), and if I can shave an ounce or two off the weight by removing the steel bar then I'd probably do that on longer treks with those snowshoes. I have a few different pairs of snowshoes that I use for different reasons/conditions, but I really like the overall performance of the Atlas 12 Series.
Was wishing I had them the other day when climbing Eleventh Mtn.

It seems like the bar would just pop out, just don't want to damage anything.
I sent a message to Atlas asking the same question, haven't heard anything back yet.

Last edited by Justin; 02-12-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,

Are the lifts formed into a loop to hold them on? If so, and if they really are steel, then you could easily bend the lifts enough to release them. Steel is a very forgiving material, and you could likely bend those pieces many times before they no longer maintain shape...

You could always swing by work one of these lunch times, I'm sure we can figure them out.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

I was stripping down an MSR Evo I found, for parts, to make a filed repair kit and/or have on hand for making repairs at home. While I was at it, I did remove the lifts. It was kind of a PITA, but I was able to do it without damaging the shoe or myself. Hard to imagine one of those things breaking, but you never know. (I realize this is a different manufacturer than yours.)

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

I got it.
It was a little tricky and required a fair amount of force, but I was able to remove the lift bar by squeezing one end of the bar inward and out of the little peg-hole bracket (with the bar in the down position). Once one end is free, it's a simple matter of removing the other end.
Putting it back together was even more tricky, but I was able to do it without any issues other than sore hands.
I don't have a scale, but I'd guess that those steel bars weigh at least a couple ounces each.

Last edited by Justin; 02-12-2013 at 02:04 PM..