Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
adkeditor

DEC defends decision to kill moose

DEC says it had no choice but to kill an injured bull moose in Wilmington Notch yesterday.

Click here to read story.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Blackhawk

Thanks for the report adkeditor.
It'll be interesting to see the results of the necropsy.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Thanks for the report adkeditor.
It'll be interesting to see the results of the necropsy.
Has there been an update? I would also love to hear the results.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Huginn og Muninn

"On Tuesday afternoon, after closing the highway, DEC dispatched the moose with a rifle shot. “This is considered one of the quickest, safest, and most humane ways to kill large wildlife,” Winchell said."

I found it a bit funny the article contained this quote.
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
wellsley

No more news on this story.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Green Drake

Latest news is in.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5046
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
wellsley

Thanks for the info.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Drake View Post
Thanks for the post and follow up. What this says in determining there was no indication of a fatal disease, is that the Moose "should not" have been killed. I understand the DEC has a tough job to do, but this was one thing, it was "wrong". Its a Park, albeit checker board thanks to too many politicians allowing for too many holes in the blue line. One thing is for sure, the Moose got himself in that spot, and he could have very well got himself out if you simply let him "live" long enough to figure it out. I hope the officers see this post and I hope they learn from this sad, poorly handled experience. If Moose watchers on the road was actually the biggest problem the DEC was faced with, maybe they should have handled that, rather then destroy such a beautiful and (healthy) animal...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Thanks for the post and follow up. What this says in determining there was no indication of a fatal disease, is that the Moose "should not" have been killed. I understand the DEC has a tough job to do, but this was one thing, it was "wrong". Its a Park, albeit checker board thanks to too many politicians allowing for too many holes in the blue line. One thing is for sure, the Moose got himself in that spot, and he could have very well got himself out if you simply let him "live" long enough to figure it out. I hope the officers see this post and I hope they learn from this sad, poorly handled experience. If Moose watchers on the road was actually the biggest problem the DEC was faced with, maybe they should have handled that, rather then destroy such a beautiful and (healthy) animal...
It would be nice if they could perform the necropsy before taking action, eh?

It's a shame but I think their decision was correct based on the behavior of the moose.""The moose was floundering and unable to consistently stand," Durfey said. "Its posture was abnormal. It was hunched in the back end, and it was obviously in a distressed state, and it seemed pretty obvious at that point that euthanization was the best course of action for the moose.""

Plus the necropsy indicated that "the liver flukes would have eventually killed the animal."

It's easy to offer an opinion after the fact especially if one doesn't have experience in dealing with wildlife every day or a background in biology.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
It would be nice if they could perform the necropsy before taking action, eh?

It's a shame but I think their decision was correct based on the behavior of the moose.""The moose was floundering and unable to consistently stand," Durfey said. "Its posture was abnormal. It was hunched in the back end, and it was obviously in a distressed state, and it seemed pretty obvious at that point that euthanization was the best course of action for the moose.""

Plus the necropsy indicated that "the liver flukes would have eventually killed the animal."

It's easy to offer an opinion after the fact especially if one doesn't have experience in dealing with wildlife every day or a background in biology.

Usually I am with you on most points Redhawk, but not today :-) If the DEC is needed to go around and decide the fate of wildlife, based on observations like this one, we are in very big trouble. Saying it would have eventually died of liver flukes, to justify their bad decision of shooting it, is not that different from saying it might have been hit by a car, struck by a meteor and mugged by chipmunks. Its all irrelevant to what happened. Liver flukes may have also lived in its system for its whole life (years) after this "sad" excuse for a judgement call. They handled it poorly, that's it. I actually appreciate most of the work the DEC does (as far as protecting the wild areas), still, this was wrong. Maybe the Moose would have acted more "properly", if there wasn't officers shooting paint balls in its face the days before shooting it with bullets? The fact is the report states it was "not", (NOT) positive for brain worm. Which means they killed a healthy animal that was likely exhausted/tired from walking in there in the first place and then not being left alone- by people. Sure we can theorize it might not have been healthy, after all it didn't explain to anyone what it was doing there ? Hmm Take a wild fox and stick him in there, tough to get back out, with a bunch of people watching and then start shooting paint balls at it? If the fox acts unusual, is it possible that its "us" who are strange for harassing it :-) Here is a crazy idea, why not leave wildlife alone and let Mother Nature sort things out... If it died in the ravine (of natural causes) what exactly is the problem and what in the name of common sense is the benefit of shooting it prior, just in case it might die in the ravine? Are we actually having this conversation? I gave up on trying to understand the so called "modern man" a very long time ago... I am going back to my coffee... :-) PS: Necropsy for liver flukes? You drank the wrong cool-aid on that one, but hey ask an expert...

Last edited by adk; 03-23-2013 at 02:28 PM..
adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
geogymn

The DEC had to make a judgement call with good intentions as their guide. I trust that they did the best that they could at the time.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Alpine1

A decision was made based on observations to shoot the moose. I'll bet it was a decision that was not hastily made. I hope you've written the proper authorities to voice your displeasure as opposed to just back seat driving....
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
Holdstrong

Part of the push back and skepticism over this situation is due to the fact that the DEC has a reputation (at least partially justified, in my opinion) as being trigger happy when it comes to dealing with wildlife situations.

I have to imagine that those who have watched them deal with nuisance animals through deadly force time and time again over the years are less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt when they decide to kill a Moose like this. A Moose that just happened to be causing a lot of headaches in terms of traffic and crowd control.

So even though this appeared to be a justified killing of an animal that was suffering, I get why some people are hesitant to buy what the DEC is selling.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
rADK

Hoof and lower leg injuries seem to be pretty devastating to horses, remember Barbaro? I'd think it is similar for moose. Failure to bear weight = game over. As a random thought, why did these animals evolve to have such a vulnerable trait?
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote