Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
mphilli2

Hunter Who Supports Gun Control

This is a link to an opinion piece (NY Times) by a hunter who resents the assumption that all hunters are supporters of the NRA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/op...a.html?_r=2&hp
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
NorthBay

That was an interesting perspective and a good read.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
ADKpete

Great article, the one thing I disagree with and I believe if the woman with opinion understood is if a stand your ground law is repealed in full all rights to defend yourself are gone, this is not good when you are in your home and a criminal pschycopath breaks into your home with the intent of killing you. I think this country and it's citizens would be better off if the laws that are in place now were enforced i.e. background checks instead of lawmakers creating more. This is just an opinion and in no way reflects the attitude of ADKforum.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I'm a hunter and gunowner that does not support the NRA.

They are too extreme for me. That being said the "anti" camp is also too extreme. Seems like a sign of the times in this country though...

Practical and sensible politicians seem to be in short supply.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
St.Regis

ADKpete - I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Problem is, The "Middle of the Roaders" get trashed by both sides. There are some issues that i side with the "Pro"-gun and some I disagree with. But the very fact that I have the audacity to disagree labels me "Anti" gun with some. Which is not true.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Problem is, The "Middle of the Roaders" get trashed by both sides. There are some issues that i side with the "Pro"-gun and some I disagree with. But the very fact that I have the audacity to disagree labels me "Anti" gun with some. Which is not true.
I would think that this "label" as you put it would entirely depend on the pieces of the RIGHT that you disagree with, but not knowing this information it is really not worth the argument to label you "anti" gun. IMO however after having read some of your posted thoughts and logic I would more than likely disagree with an "anti" gun label.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

Don't you mean your audacity to agree labels you "pro" gun with some?

You tend to play devil's advocate, I don't know you in real life but certainly on these forums. Which is great for discussion, but difficult to really comprehend someone's ideology. If you can get that at all based on internet postings.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Don't you mean your audacity to agree labels you "pro" gun with some?

You tend to play devil's advocate, I don't know you in real life but certainly on these forums. Which is great for discussion, but difficult to really comprehend someone's ideology. If you can get that at all based on internet postings.
That being said Pumpkin Qaad, where do you stand? Granted you said you are a hunter & gun owner and do not support the NRA. How about certain laws and as some have said infringements of certain rights?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Limekiln

I'm a hunter, gun owner, and lifetime NRA member. I don't agree with everything they say or do, but they're all we have when it comes to protecting our rights. The NRA's "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" mentality is a little extreme at times, but it is what it is.

When our Justice Department is trying under the radar attempts at gun control like the Fast and Furious scandal I'm glad to have the NRA.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
St.Regis

Yep, I'm a member too. And like Limekiln wrote I don't agree with everything the say and do, but they're a damn good watchdog.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
That being said Pumpkin Qaad, where do you stand? Granted you said you are a hunter & gun owner and do not support the NRA. How about certain laws and as some have said infringements of certain rights?
Well I think first off you need to differentiate between hunters and gun owners because not all gun owners are hunters. The NRA, does claim to be a voice for sportsmen, but in my opinion they are a gun owners organization, and not just rifles.

They are, as they say, the only game in town though.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
ADKpete

Kudos Limekiln & St. Regis I am as well and agree 100%!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Well I think first off you need to differentiate between hunters and gun owners because not all gun owners are hunters. The NRA, does claim to be a voice for sportsmen, but in my opinion they are a gun owners organization, and not just rifles.

They are, as they say, the only game in town though.
Why does it matter if it is rifles or shotguns or pistols? A firearm is a firearm.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I don't want this thread to go off topic but I certainly don't equate all firearms as being equal in terms of how or if they should be regulated. A shotgun and handgun are both great for home defense but the ability to conceal a handgun makes it a different animal. The ability of an assault rifle to fire at a high rate makes it much different than say a black powder rifle.

From a law enforcement perspective they are varying degrees of risk brough by each.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
ADKpete

The only difference between a legal "assault" rifle and a semi-automatic hunting rifle is what it looks like they shoot the same - one bullet for every squeeze of the trigger. And as far as a pistol is concerned in NYS open carry with pistols is actually not considered proper by many authorities, and if you are legal to do so (carry handguns) why should that be a problem, the issues with handguns or any weapon for that matter is when they are carried by criminals for illegal purposes. One important thing to remember is not everybody has a cop in their pocket and there are definitely not enough LEOs to show up at every crime.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Neil
Admin

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...4/guns-america
Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

MY definition of assault rifle is that it has selective fire. I don't consider an AR-15 plunking gun that shoots cheap .22 ammo an assault rifle.

If I was unclear in my earlier post, I see a very, very rare need for a citizen to carry a handgun. The LAST thing I want is a citizen that feels they need to control a situation because they have a firearm. That is exactly what happened in Florida and it gives all gun owners and neighborhood watch folks a bad name. There will be people who post after me and say how trained and educated they are in using their particular firearm but *many* folks are not properly trained and still carry. That is risky and I feel unessecary. That does not mean they should not have one in their house and take it to a safe place to shoot it.

Of course NYC is the other extreme where only criminals can get handguns, but that is another story. <---sarcasm.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #19

Just to bring this thread closer to home . Regarding our State and not so much of the whole " Gun rights vs wrongs " that get shut down very efficiently here as they do not pertain to the jist of the forum

The http://www.nysrpa.org/ is a NY State based organization . Good due diligence on their part to keep members up to date on hunting , shooting , and other current stuff in our State .

If this thread doesn't get back to something pertinent to the forum it will be shut down.

Maybe , The " It was snowing or raining and I'm in the Adirondacks ,can I put on a coat that covered my handgun and holster even though I only have a restricted hunting / target permit." type thing

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Last edited by 1894; 04-27-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
ADKpete

Hey, Neil I like the look- Ninja Neil. 2nd amendment rights are what separate the U.S. from a lot of countries, just like oil drilling separates Saudi Arabia from us, that is what most think are a good thing in this country or Canada and South America cutting down their wild forests, that's better for the U.S. also. So maybe the U.S. should just keep the the rights we have, the way they are. I personally wouldn't want to be hiking without mine.

Pumpkin Qaad,
I do not disagree with your opinion on assault weapons and probably not that much on carrying concealed weapons the way you are talking about. But the problem is when lawmakers craft these changes they are all inclusive they do not take into consideration all of the variables, so when changes ARE made more and more changes can follow without approval because the original amendment has been changed. If the supreme court had ruled the right to bear arms did not pertain to citizens all out gun bans could easily take place. Banning guns will not improve crime rates no more than the federal assault weapons ban did, if criminals want to commit crime that will find a way!