Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
Peddling4Bites

Blue Mountain Lake - July Lakers & Salmon?

I know July is a long way off, but itís never too early to start gathering intel for a fishing (err... family vacation) trip in early July right? I will be staying on the water and fishing every day at sunrise until lunch or so from my kayak rigged with a depthfinder, a small downrigger, and a leadcore rod. Iíve never fished in the Adirondacks before but have learned to catch lakers on lake Winnipesaukee on jigging spoons in Early July (but the landlocked salmon are another story), with some trolling success.

Iíve researched a depth map of the lake and see areas to explore for lakers. My primary questions are:

1) what depth ranges should I target for each species?
2) what lures are likely to be best for each? Iíve got a good assortment of jigging spoons. My few trolling flutter spoons are all about 2.5Ē. Is this the right size? Should I consider flies? With an attractor ďdodgerĒ spoon? Are minnowbaits (Rapala, etc) good options?

I may also chase smallmouths some, but I think I have all options covered for them.

Thanks in advance.

P4B (Jeremy)
Peddling4Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
adkfishing

I haven't fished Blue Mountain, but fishing other lakes for lakers I would think in July they will be down in the deeper sections of the lake at the thermocline point which will depend a bit on water temps / when in July you are going. Tough targeting lakers that time of year from my experience.
adkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
Buckladd

Wow, that's a seriously rigged kayak! More than a decade ago I jigged lakers there in the deeper water north of the big island from my kayak using the same jig pole and lures (Swedish pimples) I use for ice fishing. I caught a couple small ones, one bass, and had something break off my line. No luck trolling for either lakers or salmon. But again, that was a while ago.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
adkman12986

Get yourself a good fish finder. It will tell you where the fish are and the depth. One can waste a lot of time fishing in an area where there are no fish.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
JimVroman

By July, the lake will be thermally stratified.
The thermocline should be at about the 30 ft. depth.
Landlocks will use the entire water column, but are usually at or just below the thermocline.
Lakers prefer cooler water and are usually found closer to the bottom.
Old timers swore by a piece of cut bait on their lures, even a glob of nightcrawlers.
Blue Mountain Lake has lots of structure, pay close attention to your sonar.
Have fun, it's a beautiful lake.
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
mgc

Last I heard there aren't any fish in BML other than bluegill and an occasional hornpout. Worms or canned corn work super well for bait.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

BM Lake is stocked with LL Salmon and Lake Trout. They can get pretty big. The lake is underfished. Early June is a good time to use small gold and blue spoons, jigs near shore (near the passage) to the next lake. There are hidden islands but you should be alright in a kayak. I had my bigger power boat there a few years back and found an old map of the lake to be very helpful. Speak to someone who knows the lake and can tell you where to go but in July old timers would catch a sucker and tie it to a rig and drop it down 70 - 90 ft deep. Small mouth are nearer to shore too. The lake is fed by two very deep (100) FT natural springs which also go another 100 ft past the bottom of the lake. In the spring lunkers are near the surface seeking blue smelt (herring). There is an old submerged sailboat about forty feet down. Many years ago loaded timber trucks would cut across the frozen lake with their logs. About 150 feet in front of Prospect Point cabins there is an outboard motor about 25 feet down unless someone has retrieved it. (not mine). Speak to locals about where to put in. The wind can make 2 footers so watch the weather. fly fishing off islands can be productive using the island to block the wind. At one time BM lake had the distinction of having the cleanest water in the country. I know of old timers that swore they drank from the lake but I would check eating advisories on how much consumption of fish is advised given the history of acid rain and mercury. It is a beautiful lake. https://www.adirondack.net/business/...in-lake-12440/

Last edited by Schultzz; 02-07-2021 at 12:10 AM..
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:50 AM   #8
Peddling4Bites

Thanks for the input all. My Swedish pimples and DB smelts are anxious for July!��
Peddling4Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31451.html
Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
chaser
pond jockey

How is the boat traffic on BM Lake, would a kayak or canoe fishing deeper water get swamped by water skiers or jet skis?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
How is the boat traffic on BM Lake, would a kayak or canoe fishing deeper water get swamped by water skiers or jet skis?
It's not great. Never was swamped, but there's boats out there. Luckily lots of rocks and such to slow them down, for the most part.

Worst part is it doesn't stop after dark, which is a shame because camping out there is nice otherwise.

It's not that big a lake either, I could get around pretty quickly with a canoe and I saw a lot of kayaks out there.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

BM Lake is just over 1200 acres with several islands. There are shoals and hidden "islands" just beneath the surface so getting an old map and speaking to locals could save lots of damage but for a kayak or a Scanoe like Justin has its no problem. Of course now it's frozen with snow on it but ice fishing is good. There is limited access to put in. Most are private and one guy charges about 20 bucks. Locals call him Bob the Pirate. He makes great pies though. I have never seen much boat traffic on the lake except for locals living on the lake. Islands are interesting and some are inhabited. The classic photo op is taken from the Adk Museum at Castle Rock.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #13
Wldrns

If the 90 mile Adirondack canoe race goes off this year in September, note that the first day ends at the BML beach with up to 275 paddlers in boats roaring to a finish (first Friday after Labor Day). We come through the connecting channel from Eagle Lake from the west through shallows, rocky shorelines and what otherwise looks like good fishing waters. Even then there is the occasional motorboat wake to contend with, but most keep well clear of the racers. More often there is wind and very tired paddlers straining to reach the orange buoy finish line.

Earlier in the summer is a much shorter 14 mile race, the "BluMouLA BuFuRa" which goes from BML into Eagle and Utowana and back out, then circumnavigates BML, going behind the islands on the north and northeastern shore. It all looks like good fishing waters to me with a variety of depths, weeds, shallows and rocky shore structure.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

I think the boats I heard at night were kids. Probably of cottagers.

Probably has nothing to do with fishing, but there are some REALLY interesting underwater landscapes out there. Like giant clean rock landscapes and chasms and the water so clear you can see right down to the bottom - sometimes like 20+ feet I'd guess.

It's a gorgeous lake. One of my favorites for the size.

That's most of the lake from Castle Rock. Lots of land out there
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #15
cutbait

For a canoe or kayak - you can launch for free across from the Fire Department at the small beach. In a small craft, such as a kayak, you can stay close to shore and avoid trouble. You can pick your opportunities to cross the lake as traffic allows. Your main concern in a small canoe or kayak is wind, as the chop may cause some dicey going. As stated earlier, if a boater is not familiar with this lake there are spots where rocks just under the surface and can cause trouble.

The gentleman that runs the marina, is Bob Booth. His family has owned the place for years. He rents boats and the $20 to launch sounds about right. Does sell pies, and does a reasonably priced tour boat cruise of the lake which provides some interesting history and views. Super nice guy and I think he provides a great service as well as adds character to BML. Never heard the Bob the pirate name; although some of the locals (note: I said "some") are real snobs and would like the place to themselves - and would like for everyone else to stay away and just keep paying NYS taxes so everything can be maintained and they can be comfortable. However, most of the people in BML are very friendly and nice. I think that you will enjoy your time there.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Bob's brother, Bill, invented the harness for double sky diving. Bob likes to play golf in Florida in the winter. Yes he is a nice guy, and he can tell you where the hazards are if you have a power boat. He has been there forever. In summer, one of the islands has a huge granite rock where youngsters love to jump off. At least a 20 ft jump. Lots of fun. Not many large boats from tourists because of the limited access to put in. The climb to Blue Mtn is ideal for beginners and the lake is always fun. Most of the folks in the hamlet are friendly and the museum is worth going to and supporting. Lots of great adventures await on most any lake in the park. Have fun, go prepared, stay safe.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #17
Wldrns

There is an unofficial landing on the north shore accessible by paddlers who would like to join the trail to climb Castle Rock, a very interesting different kind of experience in itself.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #18
Adironzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Bob's brother, Bill, invented the harness for double sky diving. Bob likes to play golf in Florida in the winter. Yes he is a nice guy, and he can tell you where the hazards are if you have a power boat. He has been there forever. In summer, one of the islands has a huge granite rock where youngsters love to jump off. At least a 20 ft jump. Lots of fun. Not many large boats from tourists because of the limited access to put in. The climb to Blue Mtn is ideal for beginners and the lake is always fun. Most of the folks in the hamlet are friendly and the museum is worth going to and supporting. Lots of great adventures await on most any lake in the park. Have fun, go prepared, stay safe.
I can confirm this rock is very fun to jump off of You'll find it off in the middle of the lake to the west of the first island/ prospect point. Cant miss it if you leave from the public beach by the fire dept.
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue mountain lake, lake trout, landlocked salmon