Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
Amart

South Pond Information

Iím interested in South Pond off of 28N just north of Blue Mountain Lake I see the species listed on the DEC site are lakers and brook trout has anyone done any ice fishing there in the last few years how is the fishing? Thank you in advance for any information!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
Buckladd

I used to belong to the BLM club, which sits on the lake. Did more open water fishing than ice. Lots of small perch, but we did catch a splake in there one year through the ice. Overall, slow for us back then (15 years ago).
Old 01-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
EagleCrag

All waters that hold trout in NY are off limits to ice fishing unless specifically allowed by regulation. It seems like only the larger lakes that hold trout are open for ice fishing. I haven't checked the regs regarding South Pond though--not trying to preach. Just be careful where you are ice fishing.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
adkfishing

Only time I fished it I caught super small perch - like under 4" perch. It is open to ice fishing.
adkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
Amart

Thank you for the information!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
Buckladd

It is open to ice fishing:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31451.html

I think there was a member back then that used to go after salmon too. At the time, DEC was putting splake in there. It was a nice pond, just not a lot of fish.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #7
Lucky13

According to the 2019 stocking lists, it gets about 1300 Lake Trout. The brook trout must be fish that out migrate from small tributary streams.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote