Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
curth83

Dix Traverse!

Hi all. New to the forum. Nice to be here to be able to get some good feedback for all my trips to the ADKs. I was able to bag 6 high peaks this winter, and you could say I have peak fever. My next trip up there I would like to complete the entire Dix traverse in a day. Plan on doing it with a friend or two. Enough of my babbling, here's my questions...

When do you think the trails are decent enough to do this? I would like to do it as soon as possible but also realize that it is in the middle of mud season. Was wondering if mid May would be long enough to wait.

In which order would you suggest bagging these peaks? Where would you start/end?

Any other comments on this trip is appreciated!
curth83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
rdl

Typical starting point for the 5 Dixes as a day hike is the Elk Lake trailhead. Macomb -> South Dix -> East Dix -> South Dix -> Hough -> Dix is the the typical route. Couple reasons to save Dix for last is that there is a marked trail all the way back from Dix, and there's a bailout between Hough/S Dix if you're running out of time/energy.

Trail conditions are unpredictable. There was a decent snow pack this year and it's been a relatively cool spring so you can expect to find snow from mid-late May at the higher elevations.

Towards the end of May, bug season starts. I'm a wimp when it comes to bugs and won't hike from about the third week in May until the end of June. Hiking with a bug net on sucks, and hanging out on a summit with a swarm of bugs around you sucks also -- so I stay away that time of year.

But if you time it right there's a small window after the snow melts and before the bugs come out.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Latenighthound

Snow on Dix

I drove by the Dix range on May 3rd and got a stellar view of the range. There was still snow on the slides. This was before back-to-back 75 degree days. We did Giant and attempted Rocky Ridge on April 28th. The trail in the col varied between 12-24 inches of postholed or icy mess. We bailed. Be sure the paths between the peaks are safe.
Latenighthound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ScottB

I will be heading to the dix range this weekend to hike Macomb, South Dix, East Dix and Hough as a day hike. My hiking partner read in the Adirondack "High Peaks Trail" guide that the Lillian Brook trail is difficult to descend by, that it is easier to take the Beckhorn train down. I have read a number of blogs by people who seem to have no problem finding and managing the Lillian Brook trail down Hough. Does anyone have any expertise, advise, etc. to offer?
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Bucknut
46er #7721

I did an out and back on the Lillian Brook to Hough Labor Day weekend; piece of cake. There is a pretty cool campsite @ 3200'
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
SummitHat
That was fun

Nice hike that one. The Lillian Brook herdpath has been well cleared and maintained in the years since the High Peaks Guide 13th edition was published. It is easy to find, easy to follow and no more difficult than any other maintained route from the Dixes ridge (the range is steep). It is not as hardened as the Beckhorn trail, so you'll have to take the usual care not to slip and/or erode the trail while traversing the wet stretches.

Enjoy!
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
ScottB

Thanks for the advice everyone. We hiked the Dix range this weekend (minus Dix). What an excellent day hike. Was much easier than expected as the the ability to turn one's head at any point and enjoy the beautiful view while hiking the Macomb slide made us wish it would never end. Also the dip between South and East Dix was very mild... From South Dix to East Dix and back took us less than an hr. Lastly, as mentioned above, the Lillian Brook herd path was a piece of cake.
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote