Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #41
Huginn og Muninn

Does anyone else think this discussion should be revisited?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #42
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huginn og Muninn View Post
Ooh boy!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #43
EagleCrag

In light of the recent tragedy in CT, this issue will be at the forefront for weeks and months to come. I find most people react to this issue from an emotional basis (especially after a tragedy) instead of from a rational perspective. I think that most studies on gun ownership/control are conducted by groups trying to prove a point, and hence their validity is immediately brought into question. That being said, I'd like to see some credible statistics brought to bear on the gun ownership issue. Specifically, what has happened in countries and locations where guns have been banned? Has there actually been a reduction in crimes involving guns or violent crimes? I have seen statistics that indicate that violent crimes actually increase in these locations, but have no idea if the statistics are valid/skewed, or what. Today there were TV reports indicating that there are more places licensed to sell guns than there are McDonalds and a few other like minded comparisons. Well, I think that says something about our populus. There must be a lot of people that like to own guns--there is a big demand for them. If that is the case, then it draws into question whether the picture the media is painting on gun control is one that is really representative of the populus.

For the record, I am a gun owner with a concealed carry permit (though I have never carried concealed) and an NRA member. I quit the NRA for about a decade because I thought their ideas were too strict for my taste. Eventually I joined again because I believe the antis do seek to eliminate all gun ownership and will try to get there one tiny step at a time. If they can't eliminate guns then they attempt to limit their use via requirements on ammunition or via lawsuits against those manufacturing them. The NRA is the best defender of my right to bear arms that exists today.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
Limekiln

Quote:
No.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #45
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
No.
I am with Limekiln on this. ADKForum is not the proper venue for this discussion.