Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
Huginn og Muninn

That pack would work great.

Good to know you have a self-imposed limit. The odds drop rapidly as the range gets long and a long shot at a nice animal quickly turns into an all the next day tracking job, maybe without success. Many are tempted by a large bull at long range. It happened to one friend on an elk in Washington and he did get his bull late the next day; another friend had this happen in Africa and he did not get his animal. The game animals deserve our best efforts, which to me means only sure thing shots on big game, whatever sure thing is for the person behind the trigger.
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
Edb 46 er

Great advice and much appreciated. The guides I have spoken with have much of the same advice. Short range lever action rifles are no concern, they can get within 20 yards of an elk. Their is a certain mystique about the west and the lever action rifle that seems to go hand and hand with hunting. Thick heavy timbers are not uncommon and hunting with the right guide are chances improve greatly.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
Edb 46 er

Thanks to all!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
Edb 46 er

Thread has been reopened for further discussion
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
NYBowHunter59

Hi Ebd - I'm also looking into doing an elk hunt in Colorado and others I spoke with who have done "do it yourself" hunts highly recommended Eberlestock packs.
NYBowHunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #26
pllckjsnm

Hi Edb, my Uncle goes to the Selway every other year for elk. I will talk to him and see what advice he has. I know he got a really light Kimber rifle for his hunts, got tired of lugging his standard bolt action through the mountains. He loves his trips and has pretty good success. Now he only takes something bigger than he has already got so he doesn't bring something home every year but he could.
pllckjsnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllckjsnm View Post
Hi Edb, my Uncle goes to the Selway every other year for elk. I will talk to him and see what advice he has. I know he got a really light Kimber rifle for his hunts, got tired of lugging his standard bolt action through the mountains. He loves his trips and has pretty good success. Now he only takes something bigger than he has already got so he doesn't bring something home every year but he could.
Hello
Kimber rifles are so sweet! Love to have one someday. I just completed a sale on a Remington BDL 700 30'06 with a 22'' inch barrel for hauling up and down the mt. I do have BDL 700 in the awesome 270 caliber as well with a 22'' barrel that I use for deer hunting topped with a Leupold Vari 3, great rifle and I have thought of using this rifle for my first Elk hunt. Looking for a life long memory for the first one. Would love to send a story to Gray's sporting journal someday about my hunt. Send the story into a publisher, maybe; if it qualifys. Maybe we will bump into each other on the Mountain when we are there. If you receive any advice that he offers do send me a note, and thanks for the post.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBowHunter59 View Post
Hi Ebd - I'm also looking into doing an elk hunt in Colorado and others I spoke with who have done "do it yourself" hunts highly recommended Eberlestock packs.
Hello
"Do it yourself" sounds great. Their seem to be a lot of outfitters that offer a thing called a "drop camp". The only thing you need to bring is food, clothing, gun,sleeping bag and obviously a compass, map and maybe a GPS unit. They haul you in to site set up with everything you need. Wall tent, stove, wood,cot, chairs etc. They seem to be inexpensive. They will come and pick you up after a week I believe, but they do come in mid week during your hunt to check if everything is okay. Could be the ticket for me. But a guide would be ideal too. Eberlestock packs are the way to go for hunters I think as long as you can pay the price in one shot. They do have a lot to choose from as far as styles of hunts I believe. Wonder how comfortable they are hauling a 90 lb Elk quarter? Like to get some feedback on that one.

Have you any experience with the Eberlestock packs yourself?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #29
NYBowHunter59

My brother and I are looking into booking an elk hunt for next year so I was going to buy the Eberlestock pack for this coming deer season and try it out. Besides the 'dacks, I hunt the southern tier, sometimes high up on a mountain and I'm getting a bit "long in the tooth" for dragging the deer out whole by myself for six hours. Figured if I get lucky I could bone out the deer and try out the pack. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanx for the info on the drop camp! Sounds like a good compromise for what we had in mind.
NYBowHunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
Huginn og Muninn

I really enjoyed drop camps. The camp itself is quite a bit more comfortable than a backpack camp (beginning with sleeping on a cot and having a stove) and its nice to have someone know exactly where you are. As Edb pointed out above, the outfitters we worked with were willing stop by and check on you if they are bringing someone else in or out nearby. They will also take out some meat if one of your party has been successful and generally have a great idea of where to put you that is a productive area to hunt; at least the ones my friends and I worked with did.

Maybe I'm too old school, but after having hauled heavy loads on my frame pack several times I am not about to trade it in for something else. I own a somewhat compact, nice internal frame pack I use for rock climbing and like it up to about 40 pounds. I don't want to hunt with either pack on my back. I choose to carry a lumbar pack for actually hunting that I can live out of overnight if necessary.
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote