Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #61
jcmpt

For those that read about my dumb ass 5 Dix mishap in trail discussion 2 weeks ago, I can actually top that.
Climbing up to Pikes Peak on the trailless side from Cripple Creek and hitting a major thunder and lightning storm at about 13000 ft. (nowhere to hide)! I actually quickly dug a hole and buried myself in the wet dirt! Thunder is really loud at that altitude! Waited it out (about an hour) and scaled the last wet icy rocks to the summit (passing many friendly mountain goats on the way).
jcmpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #62
adventureboy
Administrator

Unhappy wallowing and sinking in deep fluff

So there we are at the garden lot ready to hike a winter loop of the lower great range. Plan was to hike in short of JBL and head up the Orebed trail and camp below the gothics-saddleback col. Day 2 would see us sumitting gothics, armstrong, and the wolfjaws and either sleeping at the Wolfjaw lean to area or hiking out to the garden.

So there we are, ready to go. Full winter packs, crampons, snowshoes, and the works. We are looking around and there are only like 8 cars in the lot, a great thought. The trail to the interior outpost was firm with like 5-6" pow on top. It made for great hiking. Didn't need the snowshoes and could go either way with the crampons. We left the outpost and headed up the orebed trail. What do we find? Nobody has been through here in like a long time. Oh yeah, the week leading up to the trip saw like 2 feet of soft pow! Ok so we have to break trail. We get like .5 miles into the powder and the stuff is just getting deeper and deeper and DEEPER!!!!! We measured the snow ON the trail at 45".....yeeeeowwwwww. It was starting to get dark and we were nowhere near that damn col. We made a camp off the trail and did our best to make a level snow shelf to tent on. That night it dropped to like 20 below and snowed another foot.

We wake up and decide to make the most out of it and day trip up to gothics and maybe armstrong, head back to the tent, sleep and hike out. So off we go, full of oatmeal and warm kool-aid. Even with light day packs the going was beyond brutal. The further up the col we went the sleeper and harder it was to break trail. It took us 3 hours from the tent to get to the col and eat lunch. We strapped on out crampons and headed up towards gothics. Once we got on the ridge the weather just laughed at us as if to say "I don't think so" The winds were sustained at between 30-35, )according to the Brunton Sherpa). Took us the good part of 3 hours to make gothics being blown to our knees to many times to count. It was like tha damn artic. We left Armstrong as an apeasement to the snow and wind gods. Trudging back towards our tent it was a good idea because it was getting dark. We got to the tent by like 5 and fell into our bags to warm up. After dinner we decided that the choice was a good one.

Next morning we wake up absolutley frozen, forgot the close the stupid fly and tent in our exhaustion and spin drift filled the lower tent. It was brutal. We trudged towards the garden, threw our packs in my pickup and headed for a beer. Which turned into 7-8 each to dull the agony of our failed loop.

LESSONS LEARNED:
#1--Breaking trail in 40"+ is a P.I.T.A. even with heavy duty snowshoes
#2--Ability to apease the mountain gods is wise
@3 for gods sake make sure your tent is zipped up when camping in the snow
Old 11-02-2004, 03:19 AM   #63
Mavs00
I am the sith

LOLOLOLOLOL

Been there................. reminds me of a failed bid up Haystack last December, beyond JLB there was nothing but virgin powder. 2 feet down low, up to close to 4 feet beyond Slant Rock. No base underneath either (so we still had to deal with the roots and rocks). Snowshoes were a joke, and easily the most greuling 11 hours of my life.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #64
Kevin
**BANNED**

Bump!

We're not invincible, and if you take enough risks over time your odds of survival decrease exponentially. Hopefully we can all learn from these mistakes (often mistakes in judgement, things we have some control over) to make our outdoor experiences as fun and danger-free as possible.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #65
hikeswithcatahoulas
That'll Do

have you learned your lesson?

speaking of getting lost...

one of my first 'away from home' hiking trips as a kid I got very lost. We had just finished our afternoon break hanging out with the rock climbers at HighRocks PA, dad wanted to 'show off' and climb out instead of hike out. (no climbing gear of course) However his 12 year old (me) was cramping his style. I actually wanted to climb up after him but he said 'its not safe for a kid' and told me to continue to hike down the trail until I found a 'safer' place to hike up and meet him at the top. I dare not argue with him so I did as I was told, heading west. He said he'd meet me 'at the green fence chain link fencing'.

It took forever to find a place I could hike up. Probably a good 1/2 hour. I thought for sure he'd past me up. So I get to the top and walk strait back like he told me looking for a green fence. Nothing...about 10 minutes go by and I see a clearing with a huge red barn. I think..."shoot this cant be good!"

So I turn around heading back to the spot I came up and starting calling for him. Nothing. So I walk back the way we started from east for a good 10 minutes...no fence, no father. So I figure for sure he'd passed me up. So I start running 'to catch up to him' in the opposite direction west again. Long story short its a good thing I was carrying the Tang because I was lost for 6 hours !!! He had stopped to talk to some other climbers and eventually decided to go meet me where I wasn't at and figured I'd past him so he started walking east.

We figured out I had covered about 8 miles; ending up in a campsite where some woman asked me if I was lost. She ended up taking me to a phone and I called my mom in NJ...to tell her dad lost me somewhere in the woods in PA. funny now, wasn't back then. I'll never forget my mom's voice..."WHERE is your FATHER???!"

So what should I have learned...?

Don't go hiking with your selfish jerk of a father. But the next year I couldn't wait to join him again and he took me to ADK and we climbed Marcy, Algonquin, and Phelps ...and I've been hooked since. He used to call me his little mountain woman.

I DID learn something though...because for the trip we are taking the end of the month, hubby and me promised eachother under NO circumstances will we ever seperate!

"In moments of joy, all of us wished we possessed, a tail we could wag."
hikeswithcatahoulas is offline   Reply With Quote