Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
jcmpt

Question help!

I am a newbie to adirondack high peak hiking, and I need the infinite wisdom of anyone who fits this description.
What would be the "easiest" for a first hike from the elk lake trailhead? I am in super physical condition (competitive runner), but I don't really want to get lost! Any suggestions??
jcmpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Dick
somewhere out there...

jcmpt,

I'm sure you have your reasons why you want to start from Elk Lake for your first hike. The hikes from that region, though not the hardest of the 46, are not easiest either, IMO. That said, Dix Mt., the 6th highest of the 46 and with with phenomenal views, is quite straightforward and easy to follow. It is the one "marked" trail of the five high peaks in that area. Other peaks in the area: Carson (S. Dix), Grace (E. Dix), Hough, and Macomb, are unmaintained (and unmarked) trails, but generally pose no significant route finding problems (though your approach to and exit from these requires some care). Of course, there are easier high peaks from other starting points. Being in the shape you are apparently in can only help, but I have found that the only thing that truly gets one in shape for hiking is to hike.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
jcmpt

hey, thanks, dick.
believe me, I'd rather start from a different area, but I'll be running a race in saratoga springs the day before, and that seems to be the closest to get to from there. If I'm wrong, let me know. otherwise thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
Dick
somewhere out there...

jcmpt,

Going only by memory, the trailhead at Elk Lake is about 8 miles from exit 29 of the Northway. It's a little farther to exit 30 and the Route 73 corridor, but not really that much farther, timewise. If you were to do that, you could climb Giant Mt. (a steep 4000 footer, but only 3 miles r.t., with wonderful views at the summit and on the way up. I have been making the assumption that you are only considering the 4000 footers. If lower is OK, there are other options, and my vote would be to try Noonmark Mt., from Round Pond trailhead on Rt. 73, just before you get to the Giant trailhead. Both of these are well marked trails.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Mavs00
I am the sith

Dick is pretty much right. As far as Elk Lake is concerned. Dix is one of the better destinations, but if you truely are new to High Peaking, I would bit off a little less for a few hikes. The Route 73 corridor is a great one and not much further (maybe 20-30 min). Giant is a good choice as is any of a number of peaks from the AMR.

I'd say Giant is a good bet. its actually 6 miles RT (3 each way) and about 3000' vertical. Plus you have the added benifit of adding Rocky Peak Ridge (another gem of a mountain) if you feel up to it.

Your running (more specifically aerobic conditioning) will be quite a benifit as far as endurance, but as Dick said, there is nothing to prepare you for strenuous hiking, except strenuous hiking. I generally run between 20-30 miles a week (much less than you I'm sure), and I always need 1-2 hikes to get my mountain legs each season.

I would avoid herd paths until you've hiked more in the area, or go with someone familiar with the route, Not that you couldn't do it, but it does require some routefinding skills, and unless you're totally comfortable, you probably would not have fun.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
Dick
somewhere out there...

Oops...yes, Giant is 3 miles one way, not r.t. I knew that... sorry for the brain spasm!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
jcmpt

thanks, Mavs00 and again Dick for the really helpful info.
Giant sounds like a great idea; I think I'll tackle that (I've been doing enough hill/mountain training and I just got back from pacific northwest hiking so I think I'll be OK).
Dick you are right to assume I'm seeking the 4k summits. I'm a very goal oriented person and the 46 4plusk summits sound really inviting. Does anyone organize group hiking? I'd love to tag along with people that really know their way around.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmpt
Does anyone organize group hiking? I'd love to tag along with people that really know their way around.
Occassionally we will post group hiking events here (either in the events calendar or in the events planning and activities section), and the local chapters of the adirondack mountain club host various hiking, paddling, and bicycling events year-round (I believe they're open to non-members, and I've yet to be asked to show proof of my membership).

Our latest adventure (for this weekend):

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1144

It's a tough hike, NOT for beginners! Try Giant, if you like what you see, then there's plenty more where that came from.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Mavs00
I am the sith

Many people (myself included) do post upcoming hikes. That would be ideal for you. It might move a little slower then a typical fittness-style hike that you would probably do well on, but it would alow you to relax and let someone else that knows the way get you there (and back). It would also get you places you'd probably not feel real comfortable trying on your own.

Personally, I have two hiking speeds. I hike alot with my family (including an 11 y/o and 13 y/o) and we pretty much hike a book times, which is pretty normal for average every day hikes. I usually post these beforehand.

I'm also a pretty fit guy (for an old fart of 37) and like to get out with my brother (also a fit dude) and do harder fittness hikes (at higher speeds) if I can. For Example last Saturday, we did a UWJ-Armstrong loop (which normally I'd plan 8-9 hours for with the family) in about 6:15 hours (including 1 hour summit time). I generally don't post these, as many people arn't interested in hiking like that.

Others, prefer endurance hikes (like the one Kevin posted) above. These involve long distances sometimes multiple-day and usually lots of vertical. Like fittness-style hiking, not everyone (including beginers) are into that type.

I guess what I'm saying is, you might (as an athlete) want to do some of each to get the full spectrum. I assume, since you mentioned that you are an athlete, that the physical aspect of hiking would be something you enjoy. If that's the case, opportunities abound, just state your intrest in doing one and on here and see if there is any interest. Hiking comes in many different style and I for one enjoy several

Last edited by Mavs00; 09-09-2004 at 10:10 AM..
Mavs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
jcmpt

you guys are the best!
I'm up for long and straight or short and steep. Just keep me posted!!\
I don't mean to sound like it's all about speed; believe me I get enough of that with the running.
thanks again...
as for the 37 year old fart: I've got a few years on you! I envy you your youth!!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #11
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
you guys are the best!
I don't mean to sound like it's all about speed; believe me I get enough of that with the running.
thanks again...
as for the 37 year old fart: I've got a few years on you! I envy you your youth!!
Well, if it's leisurely old farts you're looking for (talk about putting words in someone's mouth ) we'd be happy to join you and/or others for a hike! Seriously, at 58, we're NOT into fast hiking (also by choice), but we've done a lot of it in the last 30 years and would be happy to join you, Mavs00, or others for a fall hike. Feel free to PM me if interested and we can discuss.

Dick and Joanne
Old 09-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #12
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Well, if it's leisurely old farts you're looking for (talk about putting words in someone's mouth ) we'd be happy to join you and/or others for a hike! Seriously, at 58, we're NOT into fast hiking (also by choice), but we've done a lot of it in the last 30 years and would be happy to join you, Mavs00, or others for a fall hike. Feel free to PM me if interested and we can discuss.

Dick and Joanne
I'd like that a lot, maybe my 46th sometime in October? (weather permitting of course) It's looking more and more like Allen although I was considering Colden... but it's peak #1 on this weekend's agenda (damn Zac and his buttkicker hikes! ). I think Jeff was suggesting an overnight for Allen...

It was great meeting both of you last weekend.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I think Jeff was suggesting an overnight for Allen...
I was? Oh, o.k.!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 AM   #14
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
you guys are the best!
thanks again...
I got years on everyone. Thats why I'm so slow and barely able to keep pace with anyone!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #15
Judgeh

Soooooooo, are you in, Hawkman??? can I make it more appealing with a little cheddar cheese, Greenwich style???

What dates are we all talking about?

Can't do it the weekend of October 17. Have a date with that other chief...CHIEF Justice Rehnquist at Catholic U. Law in D.C. I have to tell him that Hawk is a big fan!
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #16
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh
Soooooooo, are you in, Hawkman??? can I make it more appealing with a little cheddar cheese, Greenwich style???

What dates are we all talking about?

Can't do it the weekend of October 17. Have a date with that other chief...CHIEF Justice Rehnquist at Catholic U. Law in D.C. I have to tell him that Hawk is a big fan!
Baldness befits you Bruce!
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #17
Willie
46er #5193W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh
[I h]ave a date with ... CHIEF Justice Rehnquist ....
I enjoy reading the threads on this and other forums to escape the frustrations of my job. And now, Judge, you brought back the recent memory of a petition for certiorari that I wrote which was, in my opinion, improvidently denied.

Oh, well. C'est la vie.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #18
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Baldness befits you Bruce!
But I have all my hair.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #19
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
I enjoy reading the threads on this and other forums to escape the frustrations of my job. And now, Judge, you brought back the recent memory of a petition for certiorari that I wrote which was, in my opinion, improvidently denied.

Oh, well. C'est la vie.
Providence led me to this forum to be the whipping boy for Redhawk!

Sorry if I brought back bad memories. C.U.A. is presenting the Chief with an honorary degree and they're doing something for alumni who've joined the judiciary. Kind of a cool thing.

Inspite of your avatar, it appears you're quite a lawyer and a 46er to boot. Would enjoy hiking with you sometime, if you promise we won't talk shop!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #20
Dick
somewhere out there...

So...which is better, bald or white hair?

Rehnquist? Bring him along -- I hear he's a great outdoorsman!

A petition for a certiorari that was improvidently denied? Wow! Must have been for a hiking permit!

jcmpt, have we scared you off yet?