Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
So you think we should waste a good Vermont brew like Heady Topper on the rainbows??? Sacrilege!
Absolutely not, what I said was water (lite "beer") into water is the best use for the tasteless diluted busch stuff.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
EagleEd

Better Beer

When I was at Lycoming College in Williamsport, PA the best was Carling Black Label. Buy one 6 pack and get three free, as it was that bad. Didn't help the trout in Loyalsock or Pine Creeks.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #23
serotonin
ember

Ancient Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
here's a link to a study that has 100 years of historical ice in/ice out data...

https://www.esf.edu/fnrm/stella/webs...enologypdf.pdf
Here's a link to a study that has far more than 10,000 years of data...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0sJvtKrRM

which proves the point that it only takes 100 years to screw up millennia.
And without beer, we'd be dead, long before our ancestors could feed or breed us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0sJvtKrRM

Last edited by serotonin; 04-03-2019 at 06:00 AM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #24
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEd View Post
When I was at Lycoming College in Williamsport, PA the best was Carling Black Label. Buy one 6 pack and get three free, as it was that bad. Didn't help the trout in Loyalsock or Pine Creeks.

Eagle Ed
Carling, isn't that the beer they mentioned in Animal House? When I was at SUNY Plattsburgh in the 80s it was Tuborg Gold, $1.69 a six pack. I refused to buy it, but was subjected to it at a keg party and paid the price. Nowadays, as someone who is gluten intolerant, I might appreciate it. Then again...??
Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #25
WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Carling, isn't that the beer they mentioned in Animal House? When I was at SUNY Plattsburgh in the 80s it was Tuborg Gold, $1.69 a six pack. I refused to buy it, but was subjected to it at a keg party and paid the price. Nowadays, as someone who is gluten intolerant, I might appreciate it. Then again...??
Big spender, SUNY Plattsburgh in the early 80's was FX Matts country for me. Served at every beer blast, mixer or frat party. $20 a keg, buy 5 the 6th one was free. A $5 night...$2.00 Beer Blast at Brother's or Filions then 2- $1 Molson at the Woodstock after midnight. That left $1.00 for a slice at Monopole before the long cold walk up Brinkerhoff.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #26
BlackJack

Those were the days (1984-1988) at P’burgh. But beer of choice was Bardot.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #27
BlackJack

Bardot of course. I hate texting
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #28
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Big spender, SUNY Plattsburgh in the early 80's was FX Matts country for me. Served at every beer blast, mixer or frat party. $20 a keg, buy 5 the 6th one was free. A $5 night...$2.00 Beer Blast at Brother's or Filions then 2- $1 Molson at the Woodstock after midnight. That left $1.00 for a slice at Monopole before the long cold walk up Brinkerhoff.
My life from 85-88, indeed! We had our share of Old Mil kegs in those days, for $22! But nothing beat a bucket and some pool at The Point!
Old 04-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #29
dpc34

what happen to "ice out" conversation....not that beer is bad, any idea for Lake George ???
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
what happen to "ice out" conversation....not that beer is bad, any idea for Lake George ???
Any day now. I checked it Monday morning, and just about an hour ago. You can follow the South Basin here:
https://wnyt.com/article/12541/
Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #31
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

still locked up solid. Have not seen any shorelines even starting to open up. In fact i went to shoot my rifle the other day and all the streams were literally iced over from shore to shore still.....grrr. looks like another first week of May for ice out unless we get A LOT of warm rain.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
Adironzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Im sure it'll happen by the weekend. I tried sneaking one for last day in on Monday and ended up calling it early afternoon after the ice took a turn for the worst. Started losing ice pretty rapidly once the sun got up and the ice was already badly honeycombed. Spud started going through easier than id like so i called it right there.
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:04 AM   #33
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Back to the beer discussion while we're waiting for ice-out: What's your worst and best beer experience?

Worst: Old Bohemian during college. Cheaper than bottled water for a reason.
Best: Here are my faves:
  • Old Speckled Hen, a traditional English ale
    Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale
    Heady Topper
    Dude, are you OK? IPA from the Drop In Brewery in Middlebury, VT
And one that I'm unlikely to see again although I have the coaster. I was in Bristol, UK at a pub called the Cornubia. Picture a coaster with the outline of an ocean liner sinking, stern in the air. The name of the ale? Titanic Triple Screw. Just seeing the coaster I was obligated to try the ale, which was glorious!!! Alas, I was not that lucky with the remainder of my evening...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #34
Pauly D.

Worst - Meister Brau. I have partial memories of a particularly bad night as a young man. I have vivid memories of being sick for a couple of days afterwards though.

Best - For ambience I had some local cask ale at a surfers hotel in Worms Head, Wales. Cool place, cool people.

With so many craft brewers out there it's hard to pick one based on taste. Right now I'm partial to Northway Brewery in Lake George. Their pilot batches are always a treat and make for a good weekend stop. They had one called RedRum a few weeks ago that sticks in my mind.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #35
Wldrns

'Worst - anything with "lite" in the name. F'n close to water. Why even bother? At restaurants I tell the server not to list beers with that word. Or if I can see through it in the glass I don't want it.

Best - Real Guinness Stout directly from and at the brewery in Dublin. What is available in the US is not the same.
- Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. A real strong beer
Old 04-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #36
Bluefire
OFGIC

Ok, back to ice out. Has anyone been near Minerva stream lately? I am thinking about a quick run from the put in up to mcneil road this weekend. Thanks, John
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #37
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Back to the beer discussion while we're waiting for ice-out: What's your worst and best beer experience?
Worst: Beer I made with corn masa about 20 years ago after being diagnosed with celiac disease (gluten intolarance).
Best: Petes Wicked Ale & Sierra Nevada, both on tap.

I miss good beer, and am digging this thread on both accounts.

I'll check Lake George again tonight.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #38
gmorin71

its amazing how many crafts are out there now. private brewing has exploded in the last decade. almost like drinking a brand name brew is kind of dead.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #39
Stillhunter

Winter is relinquishing it grip on Oneida Lake at last...
http://oneidalakeview.com/
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #40
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
its amazing how many crafts are out there now. private brewing has exploded in the last decade. almost like drinking a brand name brew is kind of dead.
I, or friends used to make a lot of our own beer at home to share. But there are so many new microbrews cropping up you can't keep up with all the new tastings to try, so our homebrew operation has dropped off significantly.