Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
Buckladd

Dog Poop

Dog owners, please enlighten me. Itís much appreciated when you pick up after your dog answers natureís call. But, whatever happened to just shoveling it from the trail into the woods? Why in the world would you put it in a little green plastic bag and then leave it along the trail or at the trailhead for someone else to deal with? At least finish the job. Perhaps I'm missing something, but are dogs smarter than their owners?
Old 04-10-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
Tug Hill

I think someone needs to tell them , news flash, Bears do crap in the woods, so can dogs. Just not on the trail.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
snapper
snapper

I've never understood all those little blue bags, where you know the contents, being left behind so someone else can deal with them. It's nice that folks will consolidate their dog's crap but if you're going that far, take it out. The other thing I don't get is folks who allow their dogs to crap in the middle of the trail. Personally, in spite of LNT, I'm fine with my dog heading off trail and leaving her waste behind. I'm always sure to get it broken up, disbursed and far off trail. I don't see any reason to do more than that; although I'm sure someone will raise a fuss about my not taking it out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but are dogs smarter than their owners?
Always have been .

Tug Hill , not only are there bears , but there are COYOTES , lots of them .
I think people visit state and city parks where bags and bins are provided , then come to state forest with good intentions but find no bin to leave their baggies. Then they hop in their Subaru with the coexist and save the planet stickers and head home.

Last edited by backwoodsman; 04-11-2021 at 07:17 AM..
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

The issue is in high use parks where people walk a million dogs is not only that the trails get $hitted up with poop, but that the run off has a significant impact on watershed pollution.

Even with the bins and bags provided, some always seem to be "forgotten" at the TH or on the side of the trail.

This is probably less of an issue in large forested areas as the amount of dog $hit per acre is low, but it is nice not to have to ski and walk through it in the spring when the snow melts. Nothing worse than DDT (defrosted dog turd).

Last edited by montcalm; 04-10-2021 at 09:27 AM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
EagleCrag

If their hike is an out and back hike, dog owners will sometimes leave the bag on the side of the trail with the intention of picking it up on the way out. They likely forgot the bag, not good. I also agree with the comments about other wild animals pooping in the woods. The other aspect to consider is how many dogs are on the trail? Over time this could result in an inordinate amount of dog poop concentrated near the trail. I'm presently in the southwest and hike in the desert. In desert areas the poop will dry out, but not leach into the ground as it will in areas where there is more rain, so not a good idea to let it lay.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #7

I bury it as I would my own product. Dog poop never seems to 'recycle' on its own, and some dogs (mine, for one) like to eat it. Another reason to keep your dog on a leash as well. Eeew.

Now, the human version, along with the "White Lillies" that pop up on popular trails in the hill are another issue...
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Another tissue?
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
another tissue?
:d
Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Always have been .

Tug Hill , not only are there bears , but there are COYOTES , lots of them .
I think people visit state and city parks where bags and bins are provided , then come to state forest with good intentions but find no bin to leave their baggies. Then they hop in their Subaru with the coexist and save the planet stickers and head home.
Right on the money.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
then come to state forest with good intentions but find no bin to leave their baggies. Then they hop in their Subaru with the coexist and save the planet stickers and head home.
Just because guns are illegal, it doesn't mean you have to stereotype people.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I am a Subaru owner, but I will never stoop so low as to have a dog, let alone take it to the woods.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Zach - I'm surprised you have a car. I thought you were a full-time cyclist!
Old 04-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Zach

I bought my first personal car last month, in preparation for (I hope) moving to Tupper Lake this year or next. Prior to that I have been a frequent cyclist but have (when needed) used a car that belongs to the place where I currently live and work. I still ride my bicycle and intend to continue, even though I have now officially joined the teeming ranks of motorists.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #15
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I bought my first personal car last month, in preparation for (I hope) moving to Tupper Lake this year or next. Prior to that I have been a frequent cyclist but have (when needed) used a car that belongs to the place where I currently live and work. I still ride my bicycle and intend to continue, even though I have now officially joined the teeming ranks of motorists.
Yeah - I recall you mentioned the plan to move.

Not very often that I meet full-time cyclists these days. Not so practical in this world.

Good luck with the move, and the Subaru.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #16
Zach

Thanks, I'm hoping for the best. I hope your plans will come to fruition too.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
montcalm
Mobster

Thanks - I think we have a few more obstacles than you, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure you'll be there soon.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #18
backwoodsman

Come on...Enough of this thread drift.
Focus...dog sh!t and Subaroos.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I own both. Practice LNT with the former, unfortunately contribute to climate change with the latter (and I guess with the former, at least a little bit...).

Leashless dogs are also a pet peeve (pun realized)...better for the dog and for other hikers to have pooch on leash, and the dog is less likely to eat what the hikers left behind (eeew...learned from experience on a Giant hike several years ago)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
If you really want to save the planet, just figure out a way to get scooby doos to run on dog $hit.