Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Bagadeez04

Need Help Choosing Trail

Hi. I was hoping for some input as to what would be a good backpacking adventure for my two brothers and I.

I go up a couple times a year to hike mostly in the south/west Adirondacks (T Lake, Middle Settlement for example)with some friends of mine (fall and winter), and my bros have been wanting to do a trip with them. They have little hiking experience but were both in the USMC, so have some training and expereince in this type of thing.

Anyhow, we're planning on a three day trip in early May, was hoping to maybe hit a firetower and get some nice scenic views in a more remote/less used area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm pumped for this and really want my bros to experience a challenging, beautiful awesome backpacking trip but I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bagadeez04; 01-13-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Firetower trails are mostly (with the exception of Mt. Adams) not located in areas that would be considered remote.

If you went to the Adams firetower, you could see some of the hard work the Foundation has done to restore it and appreciate what are probably the best firetower views anywhere in the state. There is also a nice waterfall in that area (Hanging Spear Falls), a nice designated campsite, and not too far away some decent lean-tos. Allen Mountain is also in the area and considered one of the more difficult climbs. If you were already camping in the area that difficulty (mostly due to distance round trip from the trailhead) diminishes significantly.

Good luck planning your trip. I am sure some other folks will chime in with oter ideas for you too.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

You could head to Wanakena and climb the tower that is on campus, not remote but the CL 50 is right there, and that is pretty remote.Lots of options for a few days, out and back, LTs, etc....
If you have a boat or canoes Cranberry really offers a huge variety of options. Rentals are available in the village of CL.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Did you ever make it to Coleman Dam?
Woodhull Mtn is near by....
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Bagadeez04

Haven't been to Coleman yet...got a bit discouraged there apparently isn't anything there anymore...I will make it out there at some point though cause I wanna check it out. I have done Woodhull Mntn firetower and thought it was pretty awesome, thats making me wanna see others.

I will def keep Mt. Adams in mind...was hoping to be more to the south/west if possible as we're coming in from Rochester to meet my bro from Champlain...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Send me a PM when you want to go to Coleman. There is a bunch of exploring I need to do in the nearby area this coming spring/summer.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

There's not too many mtns with firetowers in the south/west regions along with primitive camping options nearby that I'm aware of. There are however a few mtns/hills that offer some nice views without a firetower, and plenty of backwoods camping opportunities not too far away. For example Good Luck Mtn has south nice views, and you could camp at one of the nearby lakes. If you're comfortable with bushwhacking there are a bunch of other possibilities.
Or a little further north you have Blue Mtn, Wakely Mtn, or maybe Snowy Mtn. I'd say Pillsbury Mtn also but the road into the trailhead may not be open yet in early May...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There's not too many mtns with firetowers in the south/west regions along with primitive camping options nearby that I'm aware of. There are however a few mtns/hills that offer some nice views without a firetower, and plenty of backwoods camping opportunities not too far away. For example Good Luck Mtn has south nice views, and you could camp at one of the nearby lakes. If you're comfortable with bushwhacking there are a bunch of other possibilities.
Or a little further north you have Blue Mtn, Wakely Mtn, or maybe Snowy Mtn. I'd say Pillsbury Mtn also but the road into the trailhead may not be open yet in early May...
I am intrigued, what are some of these bushwhacking possibilities that you speak of around Good Luck Mntn. That and Blue Mntn I have noticed on my maps as interesting possibilities.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Bagadeez04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Send me a PM when you want to go to Coleman. There is a bunch of exploring I need to do in the nearby area this coming spring/summer.
Will do...prob won't get out there anytime soon but one if these days.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
I am intrigued, what are some of these bushwhacking possibilities that you speak of around Good Luck Mntn. That and Blue Mntn I have noticed on my maps as interesting possibilities.
Not necessarily near Good Lake Mtn but in the southern region...Trout Lake Mtn, Sherman Mtn, Pinnacle Mtn, Wallace Mtn, Southerland Mtn, Groff Mtn, Huckleberry Mtn...just to name a few.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I took a few minutes to look into the Adams/Allen/Hanging Spear idea I mentioned last night. It occured to me that it was a pretty good idea, and one that I would like to do myself. I did a bit more thinking on it and came up with a loop I am going to do. I wanted to post it back here because this is what got me thinking about it in the first place and leave it out there for you to consider in your trip planning too. (I could also see Justin picking this one up too, just for grins.)

Park your car at Upper Works, and walk the road back to the East River trailhead. Sign in and head towards Lake Jimmy and the trail to Mt. Adams firetower. Climb to the firetower and enjoy. Think of ADKJack and Kyler and all the stuff they carried up there in their packs to restore that tower and all the other volunteers that helped while you are there. After enjoying the views, head back down and continue on towards Lake Sally and the herdpath to Allen Mountain. About a mile after the herdpath look for a designated campsite in a bend in the trail along the Oplaescent. Camp here for the night. Climb Allen the following morning, return to camp and move on towards Flowed Lands, stopping to enjoy Hanging Spear Falls along the way. Depending on how long it took you to climb Allen, you have several options once arriving at Flowed Lands. You could spend a second night camping either there or at one of the other nice places within a short hike of there. (Places I like are the McMartin Lean-to, Cedar Point Lean-to, The campsite on the hill above Ceder Point.) You could also opt to head back down to your car at that point, its an easy walk on a well marked trail from Flowed Lands to Upper Works and even in the dark, is easy enough to follow with a headlamp.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
(I could also see Justin picking this one up too, just for grins.)
Sounds like a fun trip, and I'll probably get there someday, but I'm not much of a High Peaks kinda guy. I much rather hike & camp in less visited areas.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Sounds like a fun trip, and I'll probably get there someday, but I'm not much of a High Peaks kinda guy. I much rather hike & camp in less visited areas.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid Justin.

I have camped for days at Lake Colden and hardly had contact with any other person aside from the ranger. Its all about when and where you go. Figuring those places out can take some time, but I just gave you one that would likely have privacy on 85% of the suggested route any day of the year.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

The list never stops growing.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Bagadeez04

These herd paths pretty easy to id?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
The list never stops growing.
So true!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
These herd paths pretty easy to id?
Generally. The one for Allen is. Even if you pass it you will notice the trail chances considerably aftward and is less travelled going from the herd path to Hanging Spear.