Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
bigfish

Canoe cart

I am thinking about buying/building one. LL Bean has one for $130 that's looks pretty decent. Either that or I'm going to try and build one using mountain bike tires. Wondering if anyone has any experience either building one or used one of the pre-made ones.
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I've used this one several times with no complaints...
https://www.campmor.com/c/paddleboy-...nter-boat-cart
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
bigfish

Yeah that is basically the same one I was looking at. I thought I wanted to build one but if these pre-made ones hold up it will probably save me some time and headaches.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

I was going to buy one until I saw plans to build one out of a milk crate. I haven't built it yet, but I'll send in pics when I do.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Banoe

I built one out of two wheelchair wheels, a 3' piece of angle iron, and a couple of 12" 2x4,s It works well My brother and I can load our canoe with all our camping/fishing gear and roll it over the carry at Lowes lake in about 5min. If I can find a picture of it I will post
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Just a thought...If you build one, keep in mind that you'll probably want to be able to easily break it down & pack it in the canoe with you & your gear.
The PaddleBoy cart does this easily, and doesn't take up too much space.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
Buckladd

I bought one of these for my kayak when I did the 90-miler and it works great and folds up as well. It may or may not work depending on the width of your canoe (it doesn't fit my Sportspal) but they do make a bigger one.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...BWUaAuXs8P8HAQ

Here's an idea of how to build something similar:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...art-41976.html
Buckladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
serotonin
ember

I purchased a cart from Cabela's. It is the same (paddleboy) model/design mentioned by Justin sold by Campmor. It is also the same design mentioned by Bigfish, sold by LL Bean.

Mine arrived with a dozen scratches in the cheap powder coat; straight through to bare steel. I covered them with clear epoxy. Then I noticed that one of the upper support rails was poorly manufactured. It had an improper bend in it which would cause a canoe or kayak to sit at a slight angle.

Since I was modifying this cart to accept a solo fishing pontoon, it didn't bother me too much as I decided to remove the upper supports altogether. I then looked the cart over carefully and discovered what I would consider poor craftsmanship or something manufactured at break-neck speed with poor quality control. Mind you, I paid $130 plus shipping.

Then I recalled a review where someone received their cart with no grease in the wheel bearings. So I opened one up and discovered grease. I opened the other wheel up and voila! No grease. WTF?!
So I greased it up, completed some hard-thunk custom modifications and took it out to a pond with the Carpathian war dogs. The owls were mating that night above our tent.

On the hike out, I noticed that one of the wheels had developed a wobble. It was a bit like a potato chip. I gingerly made it back. Then all the spokes had to be tightened and tuned. Mind, I did not horse her too much on her maiden voyage and the trail was fairly benign.

I have since used her several times without incident. But these wheels are garbage and I expect them to fail again at some point. (Cabela's is now selling this cart with plastic rims. I have no idea on the quality). Other people have discovered incomplete welds which allow water into the tubular steel frame, thus producing instant rust. The design of the cart is nice; originally Canadian or Scandinavian, I believe. But they are poorly manufactured.

Essentially, I consider this cart a good guinea pig for my Frankensteinian experiments; a workable and testable skeleton aimed at producing a modified cart which will easily accept a solo fishing pontoon, with an option to be pulled by a Carpathian war dog. I have worked out nearly all the bugs for my purposes and will create a more reliable version from scratch.

If you purchase the “paddleboy” cart, expect some things to be abby normal. If you are at all handy, and you don't want headaches, and you want the thing to survive the Adirondacks... you may want to consider building your own; perhaps using the paddleboy design as a template.

Caveat Emptor.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Banoe

Here is my cart as you can see it will take a load. The wheels can be removed by taking the nuts off the ends of the axle. Then I just lay it all on top of the gear i the middle.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Two years ago I bought the Paddleboy cart referenced above plus a kit to convert it to a bicycle trailer. I have about 700 miles on it now and it is still doing okay, though the wheels are definitely of poor quality. I have repacked the bearings but can't get the wheels not to wobble a bit on the axles. I think the bearings or the races are not sized quite right, or something. The frame on mine has been good. I have never put more than 70 pounds or so on the cart since I have a fairly lightweight canoe and try to keep my camping gear to a minimum since I'm moving it with the bicycle. The miles I have are almost all on pavement, though there were some miles on dirt roads. Top speed has been as much as 30 mph or so. This spring I am planning to build a new trailer and keep the Paddleboy to be a portage cart only. I bought some aluminum from a place on eBay called metalremnantsinc that has lots of 6061 aluminum in almost every imaginable size and shape. The aluminum I need for the trailer came to about $60 plus I have bought a couple of cheap 700c wheels. This way the trailer wheels will be the same size as my bicycle's wheels so the folding spare tire I carry will fit any of the four and I will only have to carry one size of spare inner tubes. I think it should also have less rolling resistance and be less prone to tip over. The Paddleboy is very easy to tip because the wheels are under the boat and not that far apart, but my new trailer will have the wheels outside the canoe with the canoe riding at axle height. This will mean a wider footprint on the road but I think it should be okay, especially with my helpful orange warning flag.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
geogymn

Banoe, Nice cart!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
EagleCrag

Banoe: Are those wheel chair tires on your cart?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
bigfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banoe View Post
Here is my cart as you can see it will take a load. The wheels can be removed by taking the nuts off the ends of the axle. Then I just lay it all on top of the gear i the middle.
I do have an old wheel chair I thought about making one out of but didn't know how well those wheels would work on rough/wet trails.
Maybe I'll try something like that before I buy one.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
Banoe

Yes they are wheel chair wheels. We keep getting comments that we should give them back to the old lady we took them from...... They actually work pretty good over rocks and if the trail is fairly hard. I can pull a canoe up 10" steps that I have to do at one place I go to. I am looking into getting some cart wheels with larger tires to replace them but they would cost $$$ and I kind of like being cheap.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have a Wheeleez...

Except mine was sold as a Rolleez with bright orange tires. Tires are low pressure polyurethane, not indestructable, but I haven't managed to damage them yet. 15 years and counting, with serious duty maybe every other year. Cart breaks down and the frame folds for easy stowing in the canoe. It survived the trip in to Cedar Lakes. The compliant, low pressure tires roll over any rock, and handle soft sand and mud without issue.

Here it is resting at the Cedar Lakes-Pillsbury Lake junction.

And here is a link (I think) to a video showing my cart in action. That's me and the Rolleez in the lead, with my much younger nephew with a borrowed LL Bean cart running a distant second. You can see the terrain is not wheel friendly, yet I had no trouble to roll along fairly easily...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1066990...02779850373890
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Banoe, nothing wrong with being cheap (speaking as one who is, at least sometimes) and it looks like the wheels do a good job. Are the tires solid rubber or pneumatic? I used to push a man in one with solid rubber tires and they were easier for him to get going if he needed to by himself but they rode a little rough, especially going over curbs and things. The hand grips on the sides of the wheels must add a bit of weight, I would think, or do you use them to help if one wheel gets stuck in a hole?

Stripperguy, that looks like it would be a really great off-road cart. Do you find it to be easier to wheel over rocks like in the video than to carry the canoe over them overhead or is it just that you came to a rocky patch in an otherwise smoother trail?

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post

Stripperguy, that looks like it would be a really great off-road cart. Do you find it to be easier to wheel over rocks like in the video than to carry the canoe over them overhead or is it just that you came to a rocky patch in an otherwise smoother trail?

Zach
Zach,
For the most part, the trail was better than the video shows, however, there were a few washed out bridges that had to be carried over. Total distance was about 5 miles, I would have been worn out if I tried to carry the boat and all of my gear in a single trip. Overall, wheels were much more beneficial than detrimental.
That cart would never work for speeds higher than a walk, but is great on rough terrain.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

So long as we're sharing photos...
I'll add a few of mine own...

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #19
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,
In you 3rd photo, if you left those two boats alone for a while, would they breed??
Or are they too far apart within their phylum?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Justin,
In you 3rd photo, if you left those two boats alone for a while, would they breed??
Or are they too far apart within their phylum?
Ha!
I'm not sure, but the 30 year age difference sure seems a little weird!