Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #21
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Here are a few of mine from last year...
Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6210002.jpg (99.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg P8230001.jpg (49.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg P8270213.jpg (78.8 KB, 156 views)
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Justin
Moving along

Zach,
Very cool!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Zach,
Very cool!
x2
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #24
Banoe

Zach the wheels are hard rubber. The handles do help on holes/steps but mostly seemed to hard to get them off as they were riveted on. The wheels and cart are heavy but as seen from the picture it can handle a load which is what I wanted. My design criteria was full canoe, camping gear, chairs 36qt, cooler fishing gear, etc. pick it up put on cart pull to next lake and start fishing again.

Stripperguy, I would think the canoes in Justins photo would be OK as they are both in the plastic family where as the canoes in my photo are from different sides of the tracks. BTW nice canoes what plans did you use for that solo?
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
Wldrns

I bought my bicycle wheel steel frame cart, known at the time as the Canadian Walker, back in the 1990's to carry a voyageur canoe on the carries during the 90-Mile race. I installed longer supports made from wood to better support the 32-foot cedar-strip boat. It worked well for several years while running fast and hard over the rocks and roots, until the axles bent. it still worked, but I did not trust it for another 90-Miler, so I bought another of the same design that I used for a couple more years without problem. Shortly after I transitioned to paddle the race in other boats, so did not have reason to treat my cart so rough anymore. It still gets used from time to time on lighter boats, and has no issues other than being a little heavy.

A friend of mine also has one that we have used several times in a C4 canoe on the Cannonball-90. Because the Cannonball is unsupported without intermediate transport, the carry distances double to 10 miles on the Cannonball vs the regular 90-Mile race. He has gone through several bearing sets. The problem with the newer models of the same cart is they use substandard bearing housings. He has looked for quality sealed/greased replacements, but since the 20" wheels are really meant for kids bikes, no one makes a good sealed bearing set. The cart works great, it is just that the bearings give out too soon.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #26
Robin

I made my own out of some wall tent interior frame angle supports, some matching pipe and a couple of wheels from Tractor Supply. My son welded it together. It does not collapse but it carries some weight reliably.
I have stashed it in the woods many times on trips after I don't need it and it's always there for my return trip.
I bolted two short 2x4's on the top wrapped in unused canvas from a canoe resto. I also have a plywood piece that bolts to the top of the 2x4's for a deer. Unfortunatley I hav'nt had the opportunity to use it for deer yet

Old 04-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #27
Wldrns

A disadvantage to any wheel system that has a straight through axle is that it provides limited ground clearance over rocks and stumps. The Canadian Walker (Cabela's/LLBean style) or similarly configured cart does not have a straight through axle, so it has a very high clearance and is much better for those rougher carries. If all your carries are on relatively benign smooth trail, then no issue.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #28
rcyoung

I bought one that looked like the Paddleboy many years ago. I don't remember the brand. The bunks were attached with one bolt at each end and no other locking mechanism. The bunks kept folding over so the canoe sat on the wheels. It was I worse than useless.
rcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #29
bigfish

Yeah I just bit the bullet and bought the one from LL bean. Build wasn't going so good. lol
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #30
serotonin
ember

I have lots of Aluminum for anyone needing materiel for builds.
Scored it years ago.

Some serious thick-walled round tube, as well as some hard-core rectangular tube. $21.00 per foot but free to ADK.forum individuals who want to Frankenstein a cart.

Arrangements can be made, and I've never been lied to by a trout.
All I ask, is that you share your construction here.

Last edited by serotonin; 04-10-2016 at 08:51 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #31
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
I have lots of Aluminum for anyone needing materiel for builds.
Scored it years ago.

Some serious thick-walled round tube, as well as some hard-core rectangular tube. $21.00 per foot but free to ADK.forum individuals who want to Frankenstein a cart.

Arrangements can be made, and I've never been lied to by a trout.
All I ask, is that you share your construction here.
Wow, what a generous offer!