Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Marcus2009

DEC Cranberry Lake campground

I plan to go camping at DEC's Cranberry Lake campground. I saw many people complaining on Tripadvisor that the sites are closely packed in and lack any privacy. Do you know which loop provides relatively more privacy? I see there is a loop near the entrance of the campground (I think it's called Upper Loop) away from other loops. Are those group sites? I will be camping with just the wife, and would like to avoid very large crowds.
Marcus2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
madison

If you want to avoid large crowds, I'd stay out of DEC campgrounds altogether. Cranberry Lake has over 40 free sites spread around the lake, available on a first come basis. Most of them are spread far enough apart so you will have some privacy. For most of them, you will need a boat to get there.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

While it is true that the DEC campgrounds will be crowded this weekend, my experience has also been that the DEC campgrounds are generally well patrolled. Trouble makers are typically dealt efficiently, and the standards for quiet found in the state-run campgrounds are generally much better than what you might find in a privately owned campground.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Marcus2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
While it is true that the DEC campgrounds will be crowded this weekend, my experience has also been that the DEC campgrounds are generally well patrolled. Trouble makers are typically dealt efficiently, and the standards for quiet found in the state-run campgrounds are generally much better than what you might find in a privately owned campground.
Yeah, I think private campgrounds have a strong incentive to not piss of paying customers, something state-run campgrounds don't need to worry about. In the Catskills where we used to camp, there are some premium private campgrounds where you pay a large fee, but gets very large tract of land with good seclusion and views. Anything like that in the ADK?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
troutpunk

Not sure when you are going, but cranberry lake is a nice campground with nice sites that are generally good sized and not right on top of each other. As far as campgrounds go, it is a good one imo.
troutpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
rcyoung

It's a campground, so you will see and hear other people. Look on the map on Reserve America for the sites that are set off from the others. The bathhouse near the upper loop is newer and brighter than the others. We stayed in the upper loop a few years ago. I think it was the site closet to the entrance, and there was a street light that was on all night which illuminated the site.
rcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Marcus2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcyoung View Post
It's a campground, so you will see and hear other people. Look on the map on Reserve America for the sites that are set off from the others. The bathhouse near the upper loop is newer and brighter than the others. We stayed in the upper loop a few years ago. I think it was the site closet to the entrance, and there was a street light that was on all night which illuminated the site.
Thanks. I will probably stay away from that area then. I am sensitive to light and certainly don't want to sleep under street lights when camping.

We are going this Friday (tomorrow), apparently DEC requires 2 day advanced reservation even though there are lots of available camp sites. Since we can't reserve, we will just attempt to walk-up on Friday. This may be better as we can scout out the sites before settling down. I'm not a big fan of ReserveAmercia's hefty reservation fee either.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Marcus2009

Thanks for all your inputs. I got got back from a weekend of car camping at Cranberry Lake. Arrived without reservation, I picked a site that looked good on paper, it was uneven and too small to set up a tent, so I switched to another one and it was good, except for a large group of teenagers on the other side of the loop blasting music and partying. Our site was littered with broken egg shell, beer can, cigarette butts etc, but I know the rangers have limited manpower and can't really clean up all sites that well. Overall it was not a bad experience.

I have only been car camping 2-3 times, it seems the car camping crowd is really different from the backpacking types. You get a lot more obnoxious drunk people while car camping. What amazed me the most is those people "camping" in giant 40 ft trailers. If one really needs those HD TVs and plush sofa, why go camping at all? Clearly these aren't the outdoorsy types. Are they just too poor to stay in hotels or do people actually enjoy living in a trailer? I have driven by some RV parks and they just look like parking lot for RVs. People actually enjoy living in such environment?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I would recommend checking out Rollins Pond fur future car camping. The drive to Rollins isn't short- you have to drive all the way to the back end of Fish Creek Ponds and then further to get to the entrance to Rollins Pond. Fish Creek Ponds serves as a pretty decent buffer that contains the majority of the potentially loud and rowdy camping crowd, and Rollins Pond is known for being much quieter. There are also many nice waterfront sites at Rollins Pond.

You'll find in general that each individual DEC campground often has its own culture. Some of them are known for being frequented by groups looking for more of a social atmosphere, while others have reputations for being quieter and used more by campers looking for peace and quiet. It does sometimes take some trial and error, staying at different sites over time, to find the campground the best suits your own needs.

BTW, if the campground staff are unable to bring a group into compliance with the campground regulations, they will usually call for law enforcement come and deal with the situation. Campgrounds do have quiet hours, and you absolutely are right to expect that everyone will abide by them, regardless of what reputation that particular campground may have for not being a quiet one.

There is also often a phone near the check-in station at most campgrounds that can be used to contact DEC's law enforcement dispatch after hours if you don't see any campground staff around. Many campgrounds have staff on 24 hours during the weekends, but on week nights there usually isn't anyone working overnight.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
squirrelmaster

Is there a map of the boat-in campsites on Cranberry lake? i can't see to find the location of any of these sites, this is something I'd really like to do.

Thanks
squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelmaster View Post
Is there a map of the boat-in campsites on Cranberry lake? i can't see to find the location of any of these sites, this is something I'd really like to do.

Thanks
http://www.cnyhiking.com/CranberryLa...orestMap47.jpg
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The sites are also shown on the Adirondack Paddlers Map, which is an essential map for anyone who spends a significant amount of time on the water ways of the Adirondacks.