Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
lz242t

favorite campsites on Cranberry Lake

I am planning a canoe trip up to Cranberry Lake in July. I have the DEC primitive campsite map, but was wondering what are the good campsites. Sandy beach, rocks to jump off into water, etc. We plan to put in at Wanakena.

Thank you for any advice.

Dan
lz242t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
madison

For a good beach, #13 on east inlet is pretty good. It's a big open site, so it's good for a larger group, and it also has easy access to trails in the cranberry lake wild forest. My favorite sites, though, are on Joe Indian Island. Nearly all the sites there are pretty great.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Buckladd

On your map look in Dead Creek Flow: about half-way down on the left (east) you'll see a hook shaped peninsula with it's own lagoon/bay. This is a fantastic spot, I just can't remember the campsite number. There's also a nice lean-to in the channel/Owswegatchie about half way to Wanakena but could see a lot of traffic.
Buckladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Rich Lockwood

If you don't mind a little powerboat traffic and want to be close to Wannakina, there's a campsite on top of Flatiron rock on the left just as you leave the channel to enter the lake. It has a spectacular view.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
lz242t

Thank you for the input. I think we will try for Joe Indian Island first. Plan to get on the water around 1pm Friday. Hopefully a site will still be available.

Dan
Old 06-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Buckladd

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34715.html
Buckladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
madison

I've camped on Joe Indian several times, and never had a problem finding an open site. Usually only 1 or 2 sites have been occupied. Of course, I always go mid-week.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
rcyoung

The Leanto site on the river north of Wanakena is good, and a trail connects it to the
Peavine Swamp trail. A bit south on the east side of the river, across from the Ranger School is a dock that gives gives access to a trail into a stand of old growth white pines. The nicest sight on the lake is at Flat Iron Point. It has a nice beach and the camp area sits high with a wonderful view.
rcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

Other than Joe Indian Island, are there any other good island sites? I found a great one we spent the day on with its very own ADK porta john , but there was the disc ive learned to love and hate....a yellow disc with a tent in black, and just a smudge of the red line marking it a no camping site..... I want to take the kids on a lake trip with complete solitude....
colinzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
rcyoung

You're not likely to find solitude on Cranberry in the summer. Even in the out-of-the-way corners like Brandy Brook Flow, you'll see and hear people.
rcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
madison

Your best bet for a lake trip with solitude is probably Little Tupper or Round Lake. Strangely, even though the other wilderness lakes around them (Lila, Low's) see big crowds, I've never seen all that many people on Little Tupper, even on summer weekends. I've heard the same thing about Round Lake (haven't been there yet).
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
lz242t

Do the sites have outhouses?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
Bob K

I believe most LTL sites have either outhouses or (more common) simple "thunder boxes". Not sure about Round Lake sites.

LTL (and Rock Pond beyond) is large and the many sites offer relatively good privacy. It would take an overflowing parking lot to come close to have all sites occupied - though perhaps a long paddle to get one. It can get rough if windy, but probably no worse than Cranberry.

If you want a wilderness feel without powerboats, Cranberry isn't ideal. No powerboats on LTL, Round or Lila.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote