Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
squirrelmaster

Stillwater Reservoir

Hey guys - I'm planning a trip for a few friends and I in mid-July to Stillwater reservoir to do some smallie fishing. Any tips or info anyone can provide? Never been there before, looking to camp for 3-4 nights. I've read the fishing is pretty decent with a lot of shoals and issues to navigate. Just looking for any info I can get to make the trip more enjoyable. Thanks!
squirrelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
St.Regis

It's a big body of water that's situated basically west to east. The winds can crank up the waves, so be mindful of that, especially if you are in a canoe or kayak.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Wldrns

The way it works is when you arrive at the launch site, go to the sign-in board and choose a campsite from those that are available. Take the number from the available side and place it on the occupied side. If for some reason you don't like the site when you reach it, you would have to go all the way back to the sign-in board to make another selection.

Stillwater is great for paddling, given the caution about frequent winds oriented along the natural length of the reservoir whipping up waves. Other than that there are no real issues to paddling. The shoals do limit motorboats to a central deep channel, which is a good thing. Broken props are common.

You will need to visit the local DEC Ranger to obtain a permit if you plan to stay on one site for more than 3 nights.

See:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/34382.html
Old 06-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Buckladd

Search this forum and you'll find all kinds of info. Good smallie fishing, nice campsites (especially on islands) lots of loons and as Wldrns said above, potentially plenty of wind.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
wildbrookies

It used to have splake in it many,many moons ago though...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
rcyoung

There is a gentleman doing a GIS mapping project of the reservoir and its shoals. It isn't fully yet, but there is data. You can find with a Google search. The other posts are correct about how rough it can get. The fishing is good. The sites are nice.
rcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
ndoggac

Since rcyoung mentioned it, I will paste the link to my GIS page here. I've exhausted all the satellite & aerial imagery and video I could find. Still working on one last addition of data from a different source, but the map data is complete. I feel fairly confident in the map, especially during the summer month water levels. I've also compiled more detailed info about the campsites, and a long list of related links about the area.

https://sites.google.com/site/stillw...oirnavigation/

easy google search to remember is "Stillwater Reservoir GPS", and you'll find it quickly
ndoggac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
JW

I was there in 1976 for hurricane belle - summer camp - the first night we stayed on the first island heading out. had been through rain storms by then at the age of 12 - found it kind of strange that the rain splattered mud all the way up under the fly of my a-ine 2 man tent that night. given the calm the next day , our counselors thought we may as well head up to our desitination of salmon pond - well we ended up stuck for 2 days at the lean-to at the trail head. As I recall we missed our pick up by a day - management of the summer camp must have loved that! Of course I now look back at it as a great experience.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote