Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Skinney
Natives

A story about my 4 year old...outside the green line!

So I have been wanting to tell you all this story about my son...unfortunately it did not occur in the Adirondack green line but I thought you may all enjoy reading this...

A little history- I grew up in rural Rensselaer County, New York on the NY-MA border in a town called Averill Park. There are many lakes in this area with only 1 lake that has known sustainable trout habitat, Glass Lake. It has Rainbows in it and is also stocked annually by NYS DEC. My father grew up on Glass Lake and also Crooked Lake. I grew up on Crooked Lake. I don't mind publicly stating the bodies of water because Crooked Lake is private and Glass Lake has limited public access. My family still owns and lives on the property on Crooked Lake. Both of these lakes are connected by a culvert that goes under the road however is very shallow and great Large-mouth Bass/Pickerel fishing.

In July of this year, near the end of hot streak we were having, we decided one day to go out to my parent's property and do some fishing off the dock with my wife, kids and brother-in-law. Of course, the day was hot/humid and in the low 90's. The prior week my 4 year old son caught a 17 1/2" Large-mouth that almost pulled him off the dock into the lake and my 9 year old daughter a 13 1/2" Large-mouth. So we set my kids up with the usual hook and night-crawler and cast it straight out directly off the dock. There is a steep drop off a few feet off the dock and that is where the bigger fish usually would be.

As some time passes, my son's line goes tight. So he starts reeling his SpongeBob SquarePants pole and once again, whatever is on the other end almost drags him off the dock. He starts panicking and yells for me to take his pole. As I do so, I tell my brother-in-law to grab the net and tell me what kind of fish it is when he sees it. I am assuming based on the strength of the fish, it is a Large Pickerel or Large-mouth. I keep working the fish closer to the dock, and then my brother-in-law yells out "Rainbow!". Without hesitation, I tell my him that's impossible, there are no trout in Crooked Lake. He immediately tells me he's not mistaken. So I stand up to confirm myself and could not believe my eyes!...I huge Rainbow fighting me! Words don't express the thoughts running through my head at this point in time...Trout in Crooked Lake? How? My own back yard growing up? Impossible?...but this awesome! As we get it to the dock and netted, I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing. We immediately take pictures and for a few seconds, I put the fish in the cooler. Then, I realize I need to put this fish back to preserve what I never knew was here! I pulled the fish back out of the cooler and placed him in the net and in the water, however I realized it was a losing battle. With the air temps above 90 and the lake's surface temps reaching almost 80, I was not able to save the fish. I was pretty frustrated with myself due to the excitement of my son catching it and the delay in return to the lake, but I know I tried to do the right thing.

After knowing what the outcome would now be, I proceeded with measuring the fish and estimated the length at 17 1/2"! We ended up taking the fish to the taxidermist and its completion due date is actually my son's birthday! This will be something he can now remember for his lifetime. I have now also confirmed the actual length of the fish was 18"!

I am almost 35 years old now and my father is 63. We have never seen or knew of trout being in Crooked Lake and in all these years of growing up on and fishing it, have never caught one...until now. After reviewing everything, the only logical hypothesis we came to was that this trout traveled up-lake (is that a word?) from Glass Lake through the culvert connecting Crooked and Glass Lakes. If one has done it, one has to assume the probability of more having, or will doing it also. Catching another one would only confirm so, and releasing it back to preserve it would only be better!

I hope you all enjoyed! And here's the picture from this great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IGK.jpg (90.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Great story, and congrats to little skinney!

My dad was born and raised on the MA side of Berlin Mountain, so I and my sibs learned the ropes of stream fishing on the little brooks flowing down the NY and MA sides of the Taconic Range. As my fascination with trout fishing grew so did my desire to catch a "big one". This yearning inevitably led me to the Adirondack trout ponds, and I've been hooked ever since.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Skinney
Natives

Thank you RS!

That is too funny you say that about your father because those are the same Brooks and Streams I learned to fish on! I close friend of my grandmother named Irving (Irv) Sewell brought me to, and taught me how to, trout fish on these streams when I was in my early teens. We would go to a specific Brook you may be familiar with (Black River in Stephentown that comes out of Cherry Plains State Park and dumps into the Kinderhook). Irv would send me downstream and he would go upstream. We would designate a time to meet back. I, of course, would look at this Brook and presume there's not a single fish in there and never catch one. We would meet back and he would have his creel full with the limit! He was the inspiration for me to fish for Brook trout. Unfortunately he passed last year. He also lived in Malone for some years and had a Gun Shop there. He fished right up to his passing. Irv couldn't get around well but he actually stocked a small Brook near his home in Taborton with Tiger Trout via permit from SUNY Cobleskill.

I was actually out in that vicinity yesterday fishing the Tackawasick/Tsatsawassa Creek. I don't even know how many Browns I caught as I lost count throwing them back. All within the 8-10" range. I haven't seen a Brook trout in some of these streams in a few years now which is unfortunate.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
geogymn

Great story, great pic! Lucky little boy, luckier dad!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
wellsley

A smile is worth a thousand words.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote