Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Beeblesticks

Cedar river flow advice, 11/1 Brrrr

Hi all,
I've been invited to camp on the Cedar River beginning November 1st. Other attendees are going out in a power boat of some sort. I'd like to paddle out under my own power and be in control of my comings and goings due to personal preference and schedule. The site they intend to use was described as "halfway down the river to the lean to". I have not yet been on the Cedar Flow but am familiar with all the maps, forum posts, etc I've been able to review. Believe I'll require the Adirondack Paddler's Map - South

I paddle a 17' kayak and consider myself a pretty competent and strong paddler. I'm very opposed to drowning, hypothermia and death in general and will pull the plug on a sketchy trip no problem.

Interested in opinions on currents, channels, prevailing winds, unavoidable open crossings, Sasquatch activity, etc. I assume I'll be launching from Wakely Dam?

Any and all pointers would be appreciated.
Beeblesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Cedar River Flow isn't on the Paddler's Map - South.

Other than that I have no advice. I don't paddle that late in the year.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
JoeCedar

I hope you know that will be in hunting season and the CRF and MRP area are very popular with hunters. Boats can be launched by hand at Wakelely Dam. Take a look at a topo map to get an idea of the lake and where 1/2 way up is. Most campsites are on the east side. The lean-to is more difficult to find because you have to navigate the main channel and paddle up the twisting river to the lean-to (see hiking maps for the lean-to location on the NPTrail).
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Beeblesticks

L'oiseau: Thanks. Do you know what the best map for the CR flow is?

Joe: Always well aware of who's shootin' at what, wherever I go. It actually is a hunting trip, though I don't hunt. Just there to hang out with hunting friends. As I tried to illustrate in my original post, the site (which they have used, with proper permit, for many years running) is roughly halfway down the Cedar RIVER to the Carry lean to (don't yet know specific number or name of site). Not on the shore of the flow. The river has been described as having a noteworthy current and some navigation considerations.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
RichieC

Cedar river flow is not much of a challenge, either technical nor distance. You'll be going 'up' the river to the lean-to, against the current. ( some people call this down!) The river is an average 12' wide - perhaps narrower in lots of areas- a canoe water, and you can wade it in places.

The site half way is pretty, but limited. I do not think a motor will make it easily- risking damage. But I could be wrong... there is not much need for a motor on this rather small water so I did not consider scouting for it. I do recall there are many rocks and sand bars all the way up.

It is quite shallow in the south end of the lake, though there is a deeper channel that meanders through the grass and lily pads along toward the western shore. They will have to follow it- simply no way to motor through a short cut as it is so thick with grass you have to pole a canoe. On older topo maps the inlet to the lake is not where it once was. Continue on the center/west side of lake till you see it. You'll spot the channel in the grass I mentioned before.

At the put -in, it is usually a camp trailer/generator/ camp city/free-for-all. You'll see what I mean. But this crowd never seems to go out onto the lake, don't let them discourage you.

If someone is hunting, note that the lean to is quite close- in fact, more or less right on, the Northville-Lake Placid trail! Hikers always drop in to the lean-to's. Also watch for moose, they are protected.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Beeblesticks

Thanks Richie. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like it will be a very reasonable paddle with an eye on the weather and precautions for water temps.

The hunters in the group are experienced and of the non-redneck variety. I believe they go quite a ways into the MRP to do any actual hunting. If this were a hang blue tarps and shoot anything that moves kind of trip, I'd certainly not be interested.

Excited to finally get out there. The CRF has been on my radar for quite some time but I'm usually squeezing my trips into time constraints that make it more appropriate to paddle known waters.

Cheers
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr sticks,

I had this response all typed up yesterday...where did it go?
Oh well...the campsite that you are describing sounds like this one...it's a nice spot, on a bluff, roughly halfway between CRF and the Carry lean to.

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Beeblesticks

Thanks Stripper. Looks like a fine place to spend a few days if that's the one they are planning on.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Skinney
Natives

Hey B, I was just up at the CRF 2 weeks ago and can tell you this...1st day paddled across flow solo (Richie is correct regarding the South end of the flow starting upriver) all the way to a couple bends before the lean-to and half way back before my cousin and his wife met up with me with their canoe and trolling motor and towed me back. The water was calm and easy paddling. There were some grouse hunters in the flow also when we were there. 2nd day we went all the way to the lean-to...and totally different conditions. After passing the first bend from the damn it was really windy and blustery (along with chilly for that matter) and alot of whitecaps in the main body of water. My cousin was the navigator along with the most experienced and he considered turning us around due to the weather. When we reached the south side of the flow and began upriver it became much calmer due to the tree line and cover along the river. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what it may or may not be like. It is beautiful up there! Here's a glimpse...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1236408_10201562149767165_1420158335_n.jpg (84.9 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Beeblesticks

Thanks for the info everyone! Unfortunately I think I'm going to miss this trip. The whole family is sick and I can't leave Mrs Beebs to handle that much mucous on her own.

Swear I'll make this my first paddle in '14 to honor all the assistance.