Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #81
Chris I

If anyone is around that has posted pics, it would be great if you could repost them, this is some interesting stuff
Chris I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #82
Connie Bear Orion

I highly doubt they are in the state. Trappers probably would have caught one by now, or deer hunters would have seen them backwoods hunting.

Not sure why the DEC would lie about the existance of any animal that is not known to be here. Its to their advantage to tell people they are there. For the peoples safety and for the animal's safety.
Connie Bear Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #83
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Bear Orion View Post
I highly doubt they are in the state. Trappers probably would have caught one by now, or deer hunters would have seen them backwoods hunting.

Not sure why the DEC would lie about the existance of any animal that is not known to be here. Its to their advantage to tell people they are there. For the peoples safety and for the animal's safety.
I believe.

Nobody expects to come around the bend and see one crossing the road, but I really don't see how a mountain lion could be mistaken for anything else. Enough people watched Wild Kingdom to know what they look like. Really, what's there to figure out when you see a huge brown cat with a long tail? Enough credible people have reported them, so I don't think their presence can be dismissed.

The question I have is: What's their origin?
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #84
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post

The question I have is: What's their origin?
What is clear is that if there are any in the ADKs or the East (not counting Fla. populations), they must be very,very rare, otherwise roadkills, traps, hunters, etc. would be showing them up. I don't rule out the possibility due to recent evidence in Quebec and the fact that they ARE moving East. And some say they are released or escaped "pets" (it is known that thousands are kept as pets in the eastern US).
Old 03-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #85
calvins

While it wasn't in ADK, I definitely saw one when I was younger in the Allegheny Mountains of PA. We spent practically all summer, every summer up in those woods. It was standing on top of a cliff looking down at me. It was about 15-20 feet over my head on the rocks. BIG freekin' cat, long tail, whole works. Absolutely no way it was a house cat and I'd seriously doubt that it was a pet in that area of PA.

This was probably around 1968 or 69. A very scary sight for a 16 year old alone. I shouldered my .300 Savage 99E, but he/she decided better, thank heaven.

I'll never forget that meeting though. I can see it as clear now as when it occurred.

The star on this mapquest is the place.

http://tinyurl.com/2yo7ou
Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #86
ellsaf

Is it possible to see the mountain lion pictures mentioned in the post from 3/10/05 by SDG75?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #87
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsaf View Post
Is it possible to see the mountain lion pictures mentioned in the post from 3/10/05 by SDG75?
You might try emailing them from the forum. Not too sure how often they log on. Last time SDG75 logged onto the forum was in December, 2006
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #88
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsaf View Post
we are still waiting?!!! Looncry
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #89
8thday
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
we are still waiting?!!! Looncry
Here's five.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountain lions.jpg (90.8 KB, 182 views)
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #90
Eastern Puma

That's a great photo. When & where was it taken?
Eastern Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #91
8thday
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Puma View Post
That's a great photo. When & where was it taken?
I don't know when. I was told it was taken near Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #92
adkman12986

The 1973 Endangered Species Act provided for the conservation of ecosystems upon which threatened and endangered species of fish, wildlife, and plants depend, both through Federal action and by encouraging the establishment of State programs. The Act:

authorizes the determination and listing of species as endangered and threatened;

prohibits unauthorized taking, possession, sale, and transport of endangered species;

provides authority to acquire land for the conservation of listed species, using land and water conservation funds;

authorizes establishment of cooperative agreements and grants-in-aid to States that establish and maintain active and adequate programs for endangered and threatened wildlife and plants;

authorizes the assessment of civil and criminal penalties for violating the Act or regulations

This means that the government would have the right to take large sections of land and set it aside for the sole propuse of the endangered species thus prohibit the use entirely. Hiking hunting fishing etc.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #93
gulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
This means that the government would have the right to take large sections of land and set it aside for the sole propuse of the endangered species thus prohibit the use entirely. Hiking hunting fishing etc.
If the Florida panther situation is any indication, nothing has stopped virtually unrestricted development into the habitat of what is considered by the USFWS to be one of the most imperiled populations of big predators in the world.

Nothing.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #94
adkman12986

In case you haven't noticed this is New York not Florida. New York has the tendancy to go to the extremes on everything except spending
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #95
gulo

The Daks and Catskills have "forever wild" charters inside the blue lines. But don't worry, the DEC will be dragged kicking and screaming into cougar reintros by the feds. Should the day come when this does happen, there will strict protocols and management zones both in and outside the blues lines, as well as guidelines for dealing with any potential problems with pets, livestock and people, much like CA has for its cats, and NJ does for its bears. Depending on the nature of the incident with respect to the guidelines, a cat will either be allowed to escape on its own (treed, say, wandering into a residential area), captured and relocated, or euthanized if implicated in any kind of unwanted predation.

No habitat will be set aside or off limits to development or recreation that aren't already protected.

Bank on it.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #96
Thunderball

Not another Mtn Lion post!

Consider this: there's an itty bitty population of Panthers in the Everglades, roughly 35. Just two major highways crosses this sea of grass. Despite their near-lightning quickness, one of these felines still manages to become road kill each yr.
Hence, I would think that at some point in the last dozen or so years three criteria would be met: 1.) An ADK-based catamount would become road-kill 2.) Be competently photographed to the extent that its location was arguably within the Blue Line 3.) Be viewed in situ by a minimum of four sober witnesses.

No pickle so far.

And while we're talking about mtn lion conspiracies... I am amazed at the demonizing that goes on here regarding the DEC. If I was an employee of said organization, I'd throw up my hands in despair over some of the wing nut cts that have been made here.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #97
timetohike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

And while we're talking about mtn lion conspiracies... I am amazed at the demonizing that goes on here regarding the DEC. If I was an employee of said organization, I'd throw up my hands in despair over some of the wing nut cts that have been made here.
The DEC uses the mountain lion sightings to keep people from focusing on the wilderness areas that are closed to the public because the DEC is hiding evidence of space aliens in those closed areas.

when people start getting nosy about the closed areas the DEC lets one or two of its trained captive mountain lions run loose for a night or two so that there will be reported sighting of mountain lions in the news and people get distracted from the closed wilderness areas in which the DEC keeps some of the captured space aliens.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #98
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Does anyone have a copy of the original picture in the first post of this thread?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #99
law_adk

Since timetohike ruined the surprise of the alien mountain lions for everyone hopefully these threads will stop for good.
law_adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #100
Eastern Puma

There are three of them, taken on a porch in Laramie, Wyoming in 2004. One of them is here - http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/a...erncougars.htm - under HOAXES, labeled WYOMING.
Eastern Puma is offline   Reply With Quote