Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #21
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
Industrial whaling, starting in the 1700s, and, by extension, today's "factory" fishing ships, drifter nets, vacuum trawlers and all their cursed, greedy ilk...
Goodbye forever, noble Northern Cod.
I couldn't help but notice the juxtaposition of this comment about whaling, and those mentioning petroleum. Whale oil was used for fuel (among other things), and one of the things that saved the whales was the discovery of petroleum as a replacement.

As for the question, I would have somehow let humanity know a few hundred years ago that our actions can have a huge effect on the planet. We didn't seem to realize that until relatively recently.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
one of the things that saved the whales was the discovery of petroleum as a replacement.
That and the near extermination of most whale species (at least all the "useful" species). Good point. it's interesting to note that this isn't the first energy crisis or "peak oil" crisis we've encountered.

Last edited by Hobbitling; 05-17-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #23
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Okay, here's the deal.

You have one (and just one) opportunity to go back anywhere in the past 500 years and change just one thing to alter the course of environmental impact.

It can have nothing to do with regulation, politics, laws, etc.

When, where and what would it be?

Be serious, here's your chance to save the planet. Don't blow it!!

Hawk
Can we change history? Yes, because we are living in this moment of history. I would go back zero seconds, reach out to those who I can, and influence them to focus their attention on the scientific data and not the politics of this multi-faceted issue. Don't ask me how I'd do that, but my point is that we can't change what is already done, but we can alter the course of our future.

There, this post is history.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Hobbitling
spring fever

ok Redhawk, tell us the truth.
Did you manage to build a time machine out of a food dehydrator?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
looncry

Quote:
I couldn't help but notice the juxtaposition of this comment about whaling, and those mentioning petroleum. Whale oil was used for fuel (among other things), and one of the things that saved the whales was the discovery of petroleum as a replacement.

As for the question, I would have somehow let humanity know a few hundred years ago that our actions can have a huge effect on the planet. We didn't seem to realize that until relatively recently.
good point,colden46. hindsight is more of a lesson than foresight,to me. looncry
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #26
WillisB

I would spread a disease that reduces mankind's IQ to about 60. We would never have invented any of these things that foul and destroy.
WillisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

I'd invent Spanish Fly for whales so we would never run out of whale oil and then never have to drill for oil. Swiz
Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzlenutz View Post
I'd invent Spanish Fly for whales so we would never run out of whale oil and then never have to drill for oil. Swiz
I know this is a joke but I was curious. It turns out the total biomass of blue whales is almost identical to the daily US consumption of petroleum.

So if every ounce of every blue whale on the planet could be converted to oil, it would last this country a single day.

(I know, other whales were more important for oil, etc etc but I thought it was interesting nonetheless)
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #29
adkman12986

Go back to the times when politicians had the country and it's people at best interest instead of the $$$$. Reincarnate Teddy Roosevelt
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #30
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Go back to the times when politicians had the country and it's people at best interest instead of the $$$$. Reincarnate Teddy Roosevelt
I'm a teddy Roosevelt Fan, but he wasn't as idealistic as you may think.

His actions in 1905, An "Imperial Cruise" into the Pacific, (Hawaii, Japan, Korea and the Phillipines, led by William Howard Taft, his Secretary of War and the secret treaties (A violation of the Constitution since he didn't include Congress) would lead to The War in the Pacific in WWII, The triumph of Communism in China and the Korean War.

The plan was to secretly aid the Japanese takeover of China, Manchuria and most of eastern Asia and open the way for American and British Businesses.

He also planned the annexation of the Phillipines when he was an under secretary of the navy and he aided and abetted the succession of panama from Columbia in order to build the Panama canal.

So, let's not depend on ANY politican to try to straighten things out.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

Quote:
I know this is a joke but I was curious. It turns out the total biomass of blue whales is almost identical to the daily US consumption of petroleum.

So if every ounce of every blue whale on the planet could be converted to oil, it would last this country a single day.

(I know, other whales were more important for oil, etc etc but I thought it was interesting nonetheless)
Wow we're gonna need a bigger ocean!! Ok I'm going back to my shooting the guy who invented the gun idea. Swiz
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #32
Thunderball

I hunt down the inventor of the leaf blower and slowly strangle him over several hours. Smiling all the time.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #33
randomscooter
Native Earthling

I suppose if there was never an apple tree. But I doubt we'd have apple computers now either. And you'd have to go back more than 500 years.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #34
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
I suppose if there was never an apple tree. But I doubt we'd have apple computers now either. And you'd have to go back more than 500 years.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #35
fisher39

Sticking with the Adirondacks....

I would have put in fish barriers all over the place to keep perch, bass and other NBWI species from invading and decimating the trout populations.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #36
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisB View Post
I would spread a disease that reduces mankind's IQ to about 60. We would never have invented any of these things that foul and destroy.
Why not bump the IQ up to the 200 range? Like mine.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #37
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
An entire world filled with Neil? I have to think about that...
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #38
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Neil, we're talking about "Intelligence Quotient"

Not "Imaginary Quests"

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #39
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
IQ of 200? I wouldn't have guessed it. But after seeing you dressed for a swim I'm thinking maybe you do.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #40
Little Rickie

Quote:
Then I we'd have something in common. Like that is important.

I wish we never ate the apple. Then IQ wouldn't matter. Just the capacity of our hearts would.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote