Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
MrKawfey

Hammocks, what's the deal with doubles?

A couple of years ago I received a camping hammock as a gift but I have yet to use it on a trip. I have set it up in the back yard for the kids to play in and I can see the practicality of it.

It also seems surprisingly comfortable. My wife asked if the make two person hammocks, and, after looking it up, of course they do.

My question though is....how on earth can a two person hammock be comfortable? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Does anyone have any experience sharing a two person hammock? I can't envision a setup that doesn't just squish you together in the middle like trying to fit two hotdogs in one bun.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
PaPaZeus

It's only advertised for 2 people. But being wide allows for a more comfortable flat lay(diagonal) for one person

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Do a quick search here: http://www.hammockforums.net/

There are various methods of hanging double.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
PaPaZeus

True you Can. But yes it's usually squishy

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
12trysomething

Hammocks, what's the deal with doubles?

"Double" hammocks are not meaning for 2 person sleeping, rather that they are extra wide. Typically a wider hammock will allow you to lay on more of a diagonal, and thus more flat and comfortable. I would never consider 2 people trying to sleep in 1 hammock as a comfortable solution.

Dutchwaregear.com invented a system that connects 2 hammocks via a spreader bar that allows 2 people to sleep under a single tarp between the same 2 trees. As fas as I know that is the only such system of its kind.

I hope this helps.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
WBB

https://www.junglehammock.com/produc...weathershield/

Not sure how well it works but this is a true two person hammock
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
RichieC

LOL, Maybe start out with two then go to your own.

I am thinking head to foot might work in a pinch. I have had two +/-45 pound _ German Shorthaired Pointers and myself in mine. It was cool, had one next to me snuggling head on my chest, and the other down near my feet where he sleeps almost every night. I didn't dare leave them out on their own. They tend to find trouble, and they are very clean. It was not uncomfortable in the least for me. MY friend who was already up when we woke up was surprised and amused to see first one... then after awhile, another hop out, then me. LOL. He said he continued to watch to see what else might climb out- like it was a clown car at the circus.

You'd have to be comfortable being very close with another human, unless you were in opposite directions, In mummy bags being narrow at feet, might be like having a pillow next to you. The gathered fabric seems to expsnd and accommodate bulge's. But it will throw you together. . Ol' Gus has grown up to be quite large, closer to 80 pounds. His hammock days may be over.

I find the hammock to be by far the most comfortable to any other system. YOu can stup up anywhere there are two trees, and in the Adirondacks, this is not an issue. When you lay in a bias to the ropes, which is what they are designed to do, in the "sweet spot" you are quite flat, and it pitches and packs in minutes- everything but the fly is dry… you could pitch over mud or rocks or roots Etc. On the side of a hill.

Last edited by RichieC; 04-03-2016 at 02:11 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
MrKawfey

Ok, good, so I think I can safely tell my wife there really is no two person hammock. :-P
For my single, how tight should I be pitching it. In the yard I have it stretched fairly tight and it doesn't seem like it would be possible to lay at an angle.

Ps, it's an Eno
Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
desmobob
Old, tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Ok, good, so I think I can safely tell my wife there really is no two person hammock. :-P
For my single, how tight should I be pitching it. In the yard I have it stretched fairly tight and it doesn't seem like it would be possible to lay at an angle.

Ps, it's an Eno
Tight is wrong! Hold your hand out and make a "toy gun" with your thumb and forefinger. With the "barrel" held level, the support lines of the hammock should be at the angle so they touch the top of your thumb and the tip of your forefinger at the same time. (~20*?) This will have the hammock hanging properly so you can get a nice diagonal lie.

Get on over to hammockforums.com to learn everything you need to know about hammocking!

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
MrKawfey

Great thanks for the tip. I'm going to try loosening it tomorrow. I'm still not sure I'm sold on hammock camping (love me some lean-to) but you never know.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
desmobob
Old, tired.

Quote:
Great thanks for the tip. I'm going to try loosening it tomorrow. I'm still not sure I'm sold on hammock camping (love me some lean-to) but you never know.
I also started with an ENO Doublenest. My third or fourth hammock was a Warbonnet XLC. I haven't slept in a tent in years. You might find the same thing happening to you!

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
njbirdman

Quote:

Ps, it's an Eno
Here's a useful calculator to determine hang angle and distances. I have the iPhone app and used it quite a bit when I first got my hammock (HH Expedition).

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

From my experience, spending an overnighter with someone else in a doublenest hammock is doable but with alot of waking up. Spending an hour or two with someone in a doublenest hammock is satisfactory. All in all, I find that the double equates to a type of bed size (single, double, full, etc) so getting a double-sized hammock would give you more comfort than a single-sized hammock when on solo overnighters. A tent is still preferred for bringing along more people on a hike.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hammocks