Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
BillyGr

Just using a vehicle's license is not really going to work, since anyone with a NY plate could travel into the Adirondacks and you have no way to know if they are from 10 miles away or all the way from Buffalo or NY City.

Meanwhile, someone with other state plates (at least those closer such as the New England states and even NJ) may have travelled less than that person from Buffalo, and may have come from an area with just as little issue as most of the northern parts of NY have had (yes, even NJ has areas that are rural, even though most don't think of that when NJ is mentioned).

Hopefully those who are travelling will just do their best to follow the guidelines, and hopefully those who see things not occurring will gently remind others, just in case they've come from an area where the rules are different and don't know what they are supposed to be doing (as, for instance, not every state has the same requirements with wearing masks).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #22
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Just using a vehicle's license is not really going to work, since anyone with a NY plate could travel into the Adirondacks and you have no way to know if they are from 10 miles away or all the way from Buffalo or NY City.

Meanwhile, someone with other state plates (at least those closer such as the New England states and even NJ) may have travelled less than that person from Buffalo, and may have come from an area with just as little issue as most of the northern parts of NY have had (yes, even NJ has areas that are rural, even though most don't think of that when NJ is mentioned).

Hopefully those who are travelling will just do their best to follow the guidelines, and hopefully those who see things not occurring will gently remind others, just in case they've come from an area where the rules are different and don't know what they are supposed to be doing (as, for instance, not every state has the same requirements with wearing masks).
I got a good chuckle over this post. Three years ago I was meeting some paddlers from another forum for a paddle into Lowes. I live 35 miles south of Buffalo. The other guys were from Ottawa, central PA, NJ, Mass and Conn. I had the longest drive
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #23
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Paddler View Post
I got a good chuckle over this post. Three years ago I was meeting some paddlers from another forum for a paddle into Lowes. I live 35 miles south of Buffalo. The other guys were from Ottawa, central PA, NJ, Mass and Conn. I had the longest drive
I always chuckle whenever I see WNYers mentioning "having the Adirondacks practically in our backyard" as one of the selling points for the region. According to Mapquest, people in Buffalo have a longer drive to the Adirondack High Peaks (345 miles / 6 hours to the Loj) than people in Cincinnati, Ohio have to Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the North Carolina side (336 miles / 5:50 to the southern entrance in Bryson City, NC). And $6-12 Thruway tolls each way depending on which exit you get off.

Granted, other parts of the park are a bit closer but it's still a long drive. Even Old Forge is a good four hours away.

Last edited by hikingandwildex; 05-31-2020 at 11:33 AM..
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #24
MTVhike

When I was living on Long Island, that was a 5-6 hour drive to Elizabethtown, and 45 minutes more to the Loj.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
chaser
pond jockey

Regarding the Post Star article I find Miss Thoreck to be contradicting herself on her plight. Didn't the article state that she herself retreated to the Adirondacks from Arizona when the pandemic started??? I guess it's do as I say, not as I do for her??
Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #26
St.Regis

Yes, and that's why she and others like her have little credibility
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #27
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Regarding the Post Star article I find Miss Thoreck to be contradicting herself on her plight. Didn't the article state that she herself retreated to the Adirondacks from Arizona when the pandemic started??? I guess it's do as I say, not as I do for her??
And unfortunately a lot of others
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote