Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #21
RichieC

I wear a bug shirt with a brimmed hat, with a headnet, as I don't like the hood so much that comes t with the bug jacket... I don't get that claustrophobic feeling. I will resort to bug dope on the back of my hands and wrists... i just don;t like the feeling of it on my skin after a few days.. but I will put a dab of ol' woodsman behind my ears to go out on the town on a friday night cause i love the way it smells! LOL I found a very old bottle of it I keep to pass around just to watch those that remeber the smell.... smile... as it brings back a flood of fond memories.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #22
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I was near the Essex Chain lakes last Thursday. In the one moment when there was no wind, a handful of the little guys swarmed me, one tried to bite. Other than skates and spiders, I saw no bugs of any sort.

Last edited by stripperguy; 06-19-2016 at 08:47 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #23
Schip

OK Slip Falls bug report

I hiked to OK Slip Falls today and the only time I got bitten was when
I was getting back into my car at the trail head parking lot. I didn't
use any bug repellent at all. Maybe I just don't smell so good...
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #24
peskypup

We hiked to Grizzle Ocean in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness on Monday and climbed The Brothers in High Peaks on Tuesday. There was a good breeze both days, and temps were on the cool side for June. We encountered a few mosquitoes on Monday, but no flies. No mosquitoes on The Brothers, but there were a few black flies buzzing around when we stopped at the various viewpoints. None were biting though.

All-in-all, two days of perfect hiking weather!
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
Engineer64

Deer Fly Repelant

I read the post about the couple canoeing and the lady had on Hawaiian Tropic (Sheer Touch SPF 50) on and the man had hundreds of deer flies around him. Well where I live (Central Florida) the deer flies are horrendous. (I saw two of them fighting over a rabbit).
Well needless to say I get bit every time I go outside to do anything (I have a small farm). I read the story of the canoe trip and tried the Hawaiian Tropic. I could only get SPF 30, but it works great, I even put it on my dog (yellow lab) and he does not get bit either. I've told the nearby neighbors and it's a big hit.

Thanks again to the tip

Engineer64 :Peek
Engineer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #26
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer64 View Post
I read the post about the couple canoeing and the lady had on Hawaiian Tropic (Sheer Touch SPF 50) on and the man had hundreds of deer flies around him. Well where I live (Central Florida) the deer flies are horrendous. (I saw two of them fighting over a rabbit).
Well needless to say I get bit every time I go outside to do anything (I have a small farm). I read the story of the canoe trip and tried the Hawaiian Tropic. I could only get SPF 30, but it works great, I even put it on my dog (yellow lab) and he does not get bit either. I've told the nearby neighbors and it's a big hit.

Thanks again to the tip

Ha ha, talk about a small world!
I am that man with the swarm of deer flies that looked like the rings of Saturn around me!! That lady is My Darling Bride (39 years in a another week or so). MDB needs the sunscreen to protect her overly fair skin, me, not so much. It was quite a surprise to correlate her deer fly free paddling with the use of the sunscreen. SPF 50 now has a permanent spot in my daypack...

Glad to hear it does the job for you too!!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #27
yellowcanoe

Quote:

Thanks again to the tip

Thanks for your tip! Now I know FL bugs and ADK bugs though of the same genus can act differently to different repellents.

But the ADK ankle biters are awful when we go in July and it's well worth a try

Black flies.. meh a fan will do them in or wind.. I have seen none in Maine this year.. usually they are all around the non windy side of the house. OTOH its not been warm at all.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #28
HikerMike

Hiked Snowy on Saturday and the black flies were very active on the peak, not so bad while moving. Couldn't enjoy the view for very long, several bites. Top of the tower was the only sanctuary.
HikerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #29
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I am that man with the swarm of deer flies that looked like the rings of Saturn around me!! That lady is My Darling Bride (39 years in a another week or so). MDB needs the sunscreen to protect her overly fair skin, me, not so much. It was quite a surprise to correlate her deer fly free paddling with the use of the sunscreen. SPF 50 now has a permanent spot in my daypack...

What a joy it must be to have your wife with you to enjoy the ADK. I am not trying to be sarcastic. I always wanted that.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #30
yellowcanoe

Tested Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch but SPF 30 (apparently in the North there is almost no SPF 50 of anything)
And it seemed to work though the stable flies bit me on clothing where the lotion was not
Use it all over
Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:

Thanks again to the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Tested Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch but SPF 30 (apparently in the North there is almost no SPF 50 of anything)
And it seemed to work though the stable flies bit me on clothing where the lotion was not
Use it all over

Does it matter if it is the spray or lotion ?
I'm pretty hyper-sensitive to bites and would like to try not to have my hands and face all swollen up on our 10 day trip to Maine.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #32
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Phil,
The sun screen that I use(d) is a lotion.
Tested and proven again last week in North Creek...I don't know why it works, but I'm happy it does!!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #33
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Does it matter if it is the spray or lotion ?
I'm pretty hyper-sensitive to bites and would like to try not to have my hands and face all swollen up on our 10 day trip to Maine.
I didn't run into any no seeums during the test. That is the main bug on the shoreline of a lake or creek in Maine if you are in the woods area at dusk and dawn.

For most folks no seeum defense is a must. I just did not encounter them in the heat of the day

Ive had trouble every year with ADK stable flies and thats why I got the lotion for those wide open sunny areas that stable flies like.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #34
snapper
snapper

Just curious...does this work only with Hawaiian Tropic "Sheer Touch" or would any SPF 50 be OK? Has anyone experimented with another brand of sunscreen? Thanks for any help you can share.

Until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #35
saabrian

I agree. I've hiked in the central Adks several times in recent weeks and they seem particularly persistent and aggressive. Hiked in other areas and nowhere near as bad.
Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black flies, flies, fly, high peaks