Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
webby459

Reco in Blue Ridge Wilderness

In a couple weeks I'll be going to do some trail maintenance in the Blue Ridge Wilderness with my son, we'll have what amounts to 4 days/3 nights to mess with. Our trail section is from Stephens Pond south around 4 miles to Brown's Brook, where the smallish bridge crosses the brook. This will be our third time to the section, I've come from Durant and the Cascade th prior, so always approaching from the north.

Kind of fine-grained advice seeking, but what do people with experience in the area see as good alternative approaches and/or side trips around there? I think we'll be able to get a somewhat early start on day 1, and no need to be home early on day 4. As one option we can park down Cedar River Rd by Wakely and day 1 work the trail to Stephens Pond, camp there and then make our way somewhere further on but new for day 2, like Wilson Pond, Tirrel Pond or heck even get a site in Durant. Note we haven't been to Wakely, Wilson or Tirrel.

Or an option is to start and end a 2-3 day working out and back at the NPT road crossing near Durant and go somewhere else for the 3rd and 4th days. I'd also be willing to hit something up on the way home, we'd be taking 28 back toward Warrensburg to get home.

Hope this makes sense, and yes it's fiddly and fine grained. I'd probably want to hold mileage per day to 8-10 miles.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Dishrag Pond is a fun & fairly easy bushwhack. Thereís also a neat old car abandoned near the end of the old road that leads up the Browns Brook valley..

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
webby459

Justin, thanks. We may check that out. Do you know of or whether there are any good camp sites out that way? It would be kind of perfect for us to have a spot to camp in that area since it's at the end of our adopted trail section, and could use either that or Stephens Pond as the end of day location. My son has been wanting to add true primitive camping to his camping experience, so there's that.

Still up for other tips, as well.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

I honestly don’t remember seeing any campsites in that area. Cascade Pond has a couple nice sites in addition to the lean-to, and Wilson Pond is nice also but the only campsite there is the lean-to. Another fun day bushwhack in that area is to the 100 foot waterfall down the outlet of Mitchell Ponds.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
dundee

IIRC, there was a designated site at the NP bridge crossing at Brown's Brook. I saw it in '10, the year after that section of the NP was relocated, but I haven't seen it again. Maybe no one uses it and it's hard to find now?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
IIRC, there was a designated site at the NP bridge crossing at Brown's Brook. I saw it in '10, the year after that section of the NP was relocated, but I haven't seen it again. Maybe no one uses it and it's hard to find now?
Could be. I was last through there in Ď14 and Iím usually pretty good at taking note whenever I see a campsite for possible future use. I donít remember seeing one but that certainly definitely doesnít mean there isnít one. If I recall correctly the woods arenít too thick in that area so Iím sure one could always make due with the 150í reg.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Photo of DuctTape Russ at the waterfall along Mitchell Ponds outlet...

Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

[QUOTE=Justin;276551]Dishrag Pond is a fun & fairly easy bushwhack. Thereís also a neat old car abandoned near the end of the old road that leads up the Browns Brook valley..

Did you check the trunk for Jimmy Hoffa?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post

Did you check the trunk for Jimmy Hoffa?
Ha!
No but it is definitely a little eerie, and lord knows what happened!

Old 07-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
Bark Eater Too

Back before our time there was a logging camp up well past the car in the vicinity of Aluminum Pond. I'm told that road was somewhat drivable and had a phone line strung along it, going all the way over to Lake Kora and Sagemore.

Back to Webby's original question, I've wanted to bushwhack up to the top of the cliffs on Sugarloaf Mtn from the NPT but haven't gotten around to it. Looks close on a map.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
Lucky13

Now that you posted that picture, you can expect the American Pickers to hike in there and either remove that "treasure" whole, or start the slow process of dismantling and carrying out the pieces!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #12
webby459

That there is a city car, right Justin?
It ran when parked, so should be good.

What I'm hearing is that maybe we should take some time to check stuff out in the area. Maybe we'll approach via Wakely, we can explore and work our way to Stephens Pond on day 1. Then check out the road toward Dishrag or Sugarloaf, or maybe even both! I'm getting the peak of Sugarloaf to be half mile as the crow flies from the NPT, and around 400 vertical feet.

Last time I didn't even cross the bridge over Brown's Brook so coming in from the other direction will round out my local knowledge.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
That there is a city car, right Justin?
Stuck way back in! The tow was probably more than the car.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Stuck way back in! The tow was probably more than the car.
Hey Justin, maybe my "city car" will look like that after I drive it to the Spruce Lake trail head!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
Hey Justin, maybe my "city car" will look like that after I drive it to the Spruce Lake trail head!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
TrailBlaser

Love it Justin!