Tenant Creek Falls, WLWF, 9 Mar, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Creek Falls, WLWF, 9 Mar, 2020

What a beautiful day for a short hike close to home. With temperatures forecast to feel like June, Tredhed and I had an absolutely gorgeous day for a morning of exploring. Our objective today was to take a mellow hike and have mercy on my bad foot as well as to give Tredhed a chance to use a new lens for waterfall pictures. Tenant Creek Falls in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest fit the bill perfectly.

An early departure got us to the trailhead at 9:00. In the winter, Hope Falls Rd. isn't plowed all the way to the DEC parking lot. It's barricaded about a mile shy of the trailhead.

The view of the East Stony Creek from the small pull-off was pretty nice.

Quickly donning our spikes, we hoofed the mile to the trailhead along a well packed Hope Falls Rd.

After 20 minutes of easy walking, we came to the summer parking area.

We signed into the woods in a beat up (and full) register book and decided to keep our spikes on. The well marked trail was a little icy in spots as it gently climbed the lower slopes of Rand Mt.

The trail wandered through a mixed forest, some hemlocks and an open area of hardwoods before it descended into the Tenant Creek valley.

As this was our first winter trip to the falls, we didn't know what to expect. We were not disappointed.

Tredhed set about test driving his new lens, taking some nice photos of the waterfall in the process.

While he played around with ISO settings, F-Stops and timed exposures...

I explored some of the smaller cascades in the immediate area.

After meeting our goals for the morning, we took a break and just listened to the waterfall and enjoyed the hemlock filtered sunshine, which, by now, was starting to warm things up. The hike out was pretty uneventful, except for us peeling layers off to keep from overheating. As we signed back out of the woods, our faces turned into the warm wind as we cruised through the final leg back to the parking area. A perfect ending for a short stroll through the big woods.
    Last edited by Tick Magnet; 03-09-2020, 08:03 PM.
    Tick Magnet

Looks like a pretty neat place. Fine photos.

Comment

Cool photos TM, thanks for sharing.
      Bummed I’m unable to post a TR with photos on this website anymore for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        Cool photos TM, thanks for sharing.
        Bummed I’m unable to post a TR with photos on this website anymore for some reason.
        You should let the administrators know since there were some recent changes made.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
          You should let the administrators know since there were some recent changes made.
          I already did that in the “Resolved” thread, but unfortunately I’m still having the same issue. Maybe I should mention it there again, but also trying to be patient & being hopeful that it’ll get fixed.

Comment

TM did an excellent job of photographing my "best" side for this trip report!
            "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Beautiful photos, thank you.

Comment

Love the pics. I visited the falls about 7 years ago. Lovely hike and swim, though the amount of human waste in the falls area was shocking, as well as a major pain to keep our dog out of it. I hope they put an outhouse nearby, as iut really spoiled the overall experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
                  Love the pics. I visited the falls about 7 years ago. Lovely hike and swim, though the amount of human waste in the falls area was shocking, as well as a major pain to keep our dog out of it. I hope they put an outhouse nearby, as iut really spoiled the overall experience.
                  Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

There's an ADA compliant outhouse at the trailhead/parking lot. I'm not sure that would solve the human waste problem at the falls. The trail re-route, put in a few years ago, adds some distance to the hike. So now, you actually have to make an effort to get to the first falls. That might cut down on some of the gross buffoonery previously observed.
                  Tick Magnet

Comment

Working...
                  X