Vly Creek Falls, SLWA, 9 Aug, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vly Creek Falls, SLWA, 9 Aug, 2017

Today, Tredhed and I took a short trip from the Hamilton County Mosquito Reserve to visit Vly Creek Falls in the Silver Lake Wilderness Area. My initial goal this morning was to verify what I recently saw on SLIM; that there was a DEC parking lot on Blackbridge Rd. in Wells. I had hiked into Remington Creek last spring and a parking lot would have been better than parking on the narrow shoulder of the road. Sad to say, there is no new DEC parking lot on Blackbridge Rd.

Undeterred, Tredhed and I drove the short distance to the end of Hernandez Rd. and the start of the path to Vly Creek Falls. I was here back in January for a hike with the Adirondack Wilderness Explorers to Southerland Mt. However, it had been a while since Tredhed and I ventured back here. Parking in the large turn-around, we set off down the path through a corner of the Jessup River Wild Forest.

We noticed some ATV or dirt bike tracks on the path, but kind of expected it since it was so close to Hernandez Rd. After a few minutes we arrived at the edge of the SLWA, complete with new "ATV Prohibited" sign.

Sadly, the ATV tracks didn't stop at the boundary of the SLWA and there were tracks through the mud and weeds as the path approached Vly Creek.

We easily rocked hopped across Vly Creek and fortunately the ATV tracks stopped and we had a great walk up the old road. There were a few blow downs, but the trail was reasonably easy to follow.

After a short walk up the hillside path, we heard the falls off to west. Detouring off the old road, we worked our way down the lush gorge and had a great view of the falls.

We must have poked around the base of the falls for half an hour as the rocks, moss and water were just magnificent. I managed to catch Tredhed in a quiet moment of quiet speculation atop the falls.

Climbing out of the gorge, we walked 50 yds upstream to see the upper falls. While only about four feet in height, they were wonderful in their own right.

It was an easy walk back down the hill to get back to the car. A short drive brought us back to the cabin and a brand new front door (thanks again Justin ). So, for just a little effort, we had a great hour and a half in a quiet little corner of the SLWA. Like I've said in many of my posts, sometimes the short hikes are the best.
    Tick Magnet

Please report the ATV use. They only way it will stop is if we bitch loud enough and long enough!

Comment

You got it Dundee.

Already contacted DEC and sent some pictures.
      Tick Magnet

Comment

A short drive brought us back to the cabin and a brand new front door (thanks again Justin ).
        Great report & photos, Ken!
        Damn those motorheads, and the rumors of a new parking area...wonder what ever happened to that "Great South Woods Project"!

Stay tuned for a video of the work on the cabin, followed by a few hours of fun.
        Thanks again for the generous hospitality!

Comment

Great job on the porch and patching, Justin! Thanks!
          "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Thanks Pat.

Comment

Working...
            X