Upper Fish Pond ledges, WLWF, 28 Apr, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Fish Pond ledges, WLWF, 28 Apr, 2017

Today was my first "Lunch on a Ledge" themed hike this season. My bushwhacking itch brought me back to the Bartman in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest for the second time this spring. When I arrived, I was the only one at the snow fringed Bartman Rd. parking area.

Since it was mud season and I wasn't sure what condition the rest of the road was in. I decided to walk the 3/4 mile to the trailhead. The road turned out to be fine and I could have driven, but it was a nice day and the birds were singing, so I didn't mind.

In no time, I was at the trailhead and turned off the road and dove into the woods.

While signing into the register, I noticed our own "Tabe" was the last one to log in; back in November! This place doesn't get visited that often and it's too bad, there's a lot to see here.

After performing my civic duty, I crossed a brand new snowmobile bridge and encountered six huge logs on the side of the trail. They were massive and reeked of creosote.

I wasn't sure what they were for and how did they get here? Maybe to replace the snowmobile bridge that was washed out the last time we were here back in the fall of 2013?

I soon left the trail and began my bushwhack through some very nice woods.

The spring flowers were out in force and I saw my first trout lily of the season.

After a short bushwhack, I reached the ledges and a beautiful view of Upper Fish Pond appeared through the spruces.

Looking around, I enjoyed the distant views of Kettle and Harrington Mt to the south and west. The western slopes of Mount Blue reached down towards Upper Fish Pond, the leaves just starting to turn that most beautiful of spring greens.

The distant views were a treasure on this summer-like day, but I soon began to notice some things a little closer to home. These gray birch catkins caught my eye and I thought they were as impressive as the view of Harrington Mt. in the background.

After consuming my meager rations and enjoying a close fly-by of a broad winged hawk, it was time to head down towards the pond. I cut the Bartman Trail just before the major inlet and confirmed my suspicion that the bridge was still out.

A few more minutes brought me to the designated campsite. A few large trees fell right across the tent area, so there's a little work in store for the next campers. The good news is, they'll have plenty of firewood.

I stepped out onto the marshy shore to get a glimpse of the ledges I had just come from. Kind of neat.

After picking up some nasty whiskey bottles and some assorted other trash, I headed back up the Bartman Trail to the parking area. The 2 miles went kind of slowly as the leafless open woods had no shade and the ~400' uphill was mocking me.

While the walk back was slower than normal, it forced me to pay more attention to my surroundings where I noticed some more wildflowers, impressive white rocks and of course, those singing warblers. Three hours and five miles later, I was back at the truck and time to take stock of another successful trip down the Bartman Trail.

Everybody, if you can, do the Bartman!
    Last edited by Tick Magnet; 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM.
    Tick Magnet

Nice!
    Tabe, doing the Bartman before turning into a ski bum for the next 4 months.

Comment

Still skiing.We just went into the campsite and had trouble getting across the bridge less stream that was roaring.Wish we had known about the ledges,nice pics.

Comment

When we were there last, back in Sept of 13, the bridge was wrecked; possibly by Irene or Sandy?

Of course, the creek crossing wasn't that bad on that trip. Tredhed had no issues getting across the slippery rocks.

One of the reasons I went to the designated campsite on this trip was to check out the layout again. It used to have a nice bench near the fire ring and was cleared out fairly nice. Now, not so much.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 04-29-2017, 07:39 PM.
        Tick Magnet

Comment

I thought creosote had been banned as a carcinogen???

Comment

[QUOTE=Tick Magnet;258075] Tredhed had no issues getting across the slippery rocks.

Tredhed did discover how Slippery Rock got its name (apologies to Jay Ward).
            "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Working...
            X