Griffin Falls, SPWA, 13 Dec, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffin Falls, SPWA, 13 Dec, 2016

I'm not really sure this is a trip report, since Tredhed and I didn't really put too much effort into this one. It was just a quick stop at Griffin Falls on the edge of the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area to do some exploring.

There was quite a bit of ice on the East Branch of the Sacandaga River as we walked down Teachout Rd to the bridge (photo 1). Tredhed stayed at the bridge and falls playing with his early Christmas gift of some polarizing filters for his camera. I headed down the old road (photo 2) to check out the beaver flow on Towers Brook (photo 3).

The woods were pretty spectacular today after a fresh couple inches of snow yesterday (photo 4). On out way back out to Route 8, I commented that I've never been disappointed at Griffin Falls, especially on a beautiful late fall day such as this.
    Attached Files
    Tick Magnet

100 ISO, f14 5 second exposure with 3.0 neutral density filter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tredhed; 12-13-2016, 04:43 PM.
    "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing yet another fun day out enjoying the woods!

Comment

Definitely not a "sexy" endurance hike, but sometimes we take what we can get, when we can get it.

Just a nice day to be outside.
        Tick Magnet

Comment

Sometimes those short trips are the best!

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
            Sometimes those short trips are the best!
            Dundee,

I agree, the short trips are best. I find short trips make me notice more of my surroundings. If I was huffing and puffing, I wouldn't have seen a beautiful doe standing completely still not 50 yds from me. Gorgeous animal.

Fresh tracks were everywhere; deer, coyote, squirrel and some kind of mouse. Of course, the ubiquitous chickadees greeted me with their cheery call. Once we got away from Rt. 8, the only sound we heard was the roar of the water through the gorge and the wind in the trees.

For some reason, people don't understand why we go outside on a "cold" day?
            Tick Magnet

Comment

We really enjoy snowshoeing that trail, past the gorge, and along the river. Some of the ice/snow formations are pretty spectacular. A few years back we watched two otters playing in the snow along the river. And we usually run into a deer or two along the way.

And someone bought that cabin along the trail & has fixed it up.
              sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Working...
              X