Long Pond, FLWF, 25 May, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Pond, FLWF, 25 May, 2016

Today, I had the opportunity for a solo hike to Long Pond in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest in NW Fulton County. I planned to do a loop hike from Hall Rd. up the Dexter Lake trail and hit Long and Knapps Long on my way to Dexter for lunch. I'm glad I was flexible in my itinerary today, as I didn't quite complete the planned loop.

Parking early at the end of Hall Rd., I took a couple picts of the old Potter Homestead (photo 1) and a cool sign the land owners posted (photo 2). Thanks for granting us humble hikers access through your property Unfortunately, some people can't read and there was evidence of vehicle traffic on the first part of the trail (photo 3).

The first mile and a half of the trail was a little muddy in spots. That's pretty typical with the snowmobile trails in this area. However, the trail was in much better shape the closer I got to North Creek and was quite delightful to walk (photo 4). At 1.5 miles, I took the short detour upstream to the North Creek waterfalls (photo 5). Still pretty nice, even in the low water.

Past the waterfalls and the several vlys, I began my bushwhack to Long Pond. I had wanted to do this before the leaves came out but didn't have any problems with the compass or terrain orientation. In a short time, I was at the heavily wooded, steep eastern shore.

This is where I decided to change plans. The eastern shore was pretty rugged and thick with spruce. I didn't feel like bushwhacking through that this morning so I found a nice shoreline rock ( photo 6) that was in the breeze. The pretty pink rock not only provided a good place for lunch, but had a great view down the pond (photo 7) and of the 50' cliffs directly behind me (photo 8).

After lunch and poking around a little, I headed back to the Dexter Lake trail. I took a short break at McKinney Vly and heard some running water downstream. A little rock hopping brought me to the top of a small gorge (photo 9). The gorge dropped about 20' as it approached the next vly in the chain. There were some neat rock formations on the south side of the creek (photo 10).

So, a change of plans and a shorter walk paid off as I got back to the truck, the thermometer indicated a sultry 81°. That's a little warm for a long bushwhack in unknown territory through thick spruce and swampy woods. I'll save Knapps Long Lake for the next time. Driving home, I was pretty happy with my decision after walking a little over six miles and enjoying a "new" lake.
    Attached Files
    Tick Magnet

Nice!

Comment

Nice TR!

Comment

Great pix and a super job on the TR!
        "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Great report & pics!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
          sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

nice trip report! happy to hear that the sign felt welcoming, that was the intention...had it made by a sign maker here in Ithaca where i now live. and, yes, ATV's still make their way past the sign and gate. hard to know how to stop them from destroying the trails. i haven't been up to potter homestead in a few months, loved seeing the photos!!! thanks so much---made my day! you do really great trip reports, thanks for sharing with us all.
            chris/potter homestead

Comment

Thanks for the props folks. It really was a nice day to be in the woods.

Potterhomestead: Chris, I'm glad you chimed in. Again, well done on the signs. It's not everyday you see landowners grant access for hiking and skiing. What a great thing to do.

I took a picture of your driveway (trail to Water's Millpond) that I thought you'd like. The picture doesn't do it justice, but the apple trees were in full bloom and the sky was full of honey bees and singing birds.
              Attached Files
              Tick Magnet

Comment

thanks so much TM!
                sorry for the delay in replying to your post, away for a week.
                very thoughtful of you to post another photo, much appreciated! that part of the park is not glamorous but it still has it's hidden places and some very wild, seldom visited gems. i love those trail less ponds! good to hear that other folks like to visit the same places...i guess that we all like the same woods!
                thanks again, hope to run into you in that neck of the woods someday--
                potterhomestead/chris ps-- very good drinking water in the well next to the fallen down log cabin--a bucket and cup to use on top of the well.

Comment

Working...
                X